• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trek Bikes...Why is there still a Madone?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Since the Madone model was named for Lance and Tony R's favorite training hill and they both are somewhat South of respected riders; why does Trek persist with the Legacy? Does anyone care? Does anyone buy them anymore?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Does anyone care? Does anyone buy them anymore?

According to Trek's website:

What people are saying

Any way you take it, the Madone is a fast, race-ready ride. Once you get on it, you won't want to get off

Triathlon Magazine Canada
Aero Road bikes - Madone 7.7
So there you have it. :D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Since the Madone model was named for Lance and Tony R's favorite training hill and they both are somewhat South of respected riders; why does Trek persist with the Legacy? Does anyone care? Does anyone buy them anymore?

I'm sure Madone sales will decline quite a bit given there's only a few high end models (made in US 7 series) and a few low end alu models. I guess they feel aero road bikes aren't that big of a deal. Or they'd like to spike the Madone name too...

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oldman said:

A good point but the same can be said of most of Lance Armstrong's sponsors.

When you consider that a good proportion of the peloton still where Oakley sunglasses and Giro crash hats you can see that the hypocrisy doesn't end there.

In fact I was surprised that Greg Lemond was used in some of Oakleys marketing of their retro shades this summer on sites such as CyclingNews particularly in view of Oakleys involvement in Armstrong and the statement made by him in that Indiana Hospital room!!

B_Ugli said:
In fact I was surprised that Greg Lemond was used in some of Oakleys marketing of their retro shades this summer on sites such as CyclingNews particularly in view of Oakleys involvement in Armstrong and the statement made by him in that Indiana Hospital room!!

I brought this up before, seems Jokely did A LOT of ball washing to LeMond(and gave him A TON OF MONEY TOO-as a way of saying "sorry we were such dumbf%$# for continuing to worship Wonderboy).

IMO, It was damage control by Jokely, and why shouldn't they pay Greg a hefty sum now for re-using his image to sell those glasses? He's earned it. Sure it comes off a bit hypocritical, but I have no issues with Jokely paying LeMond for them to use him again(I hope it was a NICE sum of dough too).

What would be comical is if McIllvane was the one who did this and has to pay Greg. You know, fearing for her job and all, she has a sick kid to look after.:rolleyes:;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
A good point but the same can be said of most of Lance Armstrong's sponsors.

When you consider that a good proportion of the peloton still where Oakley sunglasses and Giro crash hats you can see that the hypocrisy doesn't end there.

I think the OP's point isn't so much concerning the fact that some of the products that sponsored Armstrong are still widely used, but more that why Trek continues to use a name for their top of the line bike that came directly from Armstrong.

Personally, I can't find myself able to blame companies like Giro or Oakley or even Trek. They jumped on the bandwaggon so they could sell their product. It was good business for them at the time and their products are still widely used to this day.

However it would be beneficial IMO to adopt a different name for their best line of bikes rather then the name of Armstrongs favorite climb. They do have some history and legacy behind the name that goes past just Armstrong that they may not want to change at this point.

Afrank said:
I think the OP's point isn't so much concerning the fact that some of the products that sponsored Armstrong are still widely used, but more that why Trek continues to use a name for their top of the line bike that came directly from Armstrong. .

Because the people buying the bikes just don't care, or aren't invested in the toxic past of Trek.

Are they still made by Giant?

DirtyWorks said:
Are you sure? I haven't looked at one to find the source sticker in a very long time. Making bikes in the U.S. is a rough business.

Plus, you'd think with all the backlash Wonderboy(and his endorsers) caught for doping/lying/etc, that people would want to stay as far away from Trek as possible.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Eh, trek and Oakley have for the most part lost their market. There are better day to day bikes for cheaper, and much better niche companies for the spending elite. Good riddance to bad rubbish. And Oakley has always been dbag central so that will be what it will.

DirtyWorks said:
Are you sure? I haven't looked at one to find the source sticker in a very long time. Making bikes in the U.S. is a rough business.

Define "making"... having the parts manufactured elsewhere and then assembling can still be deemed as "made in..."
Wasn't there an Italian brand that had everything pretty much done in Asia, then completed the assembly in Italy so they could apply a "Made in Italy" sticker?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
In honor of Lance

10422276_10205167872657127_8094179432274445981_n.jpg

Their marketing department did some consumer reaction tests to this in-honor-of-Lance name, but the numbers didn't warrant pursuing the name change. :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ever notice the names emoda, domane and Madone are all made of the same word? although I suppose there should be an "N" in the first one

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Ever notice the names emoda, domane and Madone are all made of the same word? although I suppose there should be an "N" in the first one

add a "p" and you could have a clean bike: nodope

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Oakley is FAR more than a cycling brand these days. I think you may be delusional in thinking that the rest of the world is as passionately anti-Lance as the 5 people in here who can't let it go.

I doubt Trek suffers much either.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
Oakley is FAR more than a cycling brand these days. I think you may be delusional in thinking that the rest of the world is as passionately anti-Lance as the 5 people in here who can't let it go.

I agree about Oakley. What I'm saying is that they are glasses made exclusively for do uches. I'm sure that their target market will be around for quite awhile, unfortunately. And as for trek, I'm sure they aren't getting the percentage of profits they were around number 7. Just from looking around at the enormous population of cyclists here it seems specialized may be the go-to for monied newbs now.

yespatterns said:
I agree about Oakley. What I'm saying is that they are glasses made exclusively for do uches ches. I'm sure that their target market will be around for quite awhile, unfortunately. And as for trek, I'm sure they aren't getting the percentage of profits they were around number 7. Just from looking around at the enormous population of cyclists here it seems specialized may be the go-to for monied newbs now.

Great news for Merida!

The bicycle retailer business survey recently published aggregate sales of 700c bikes into the U.S. is flat, which is a profit margin killer.

Anyone look at the source sticker on one of these Trek Madones recently?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:

I think you will find the name Lance Armstrong synonymous with doping, cheating and all round douchbaggery in the western world where sports is big business.

That Armstrong has lost all sponsorship proves this.

TRENDING THREADS