• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Triathletes in TOC TT

krebs303 said:
Stage 7 of the 2010 Amgen Tour of California is a 21-mile individual time trial in Los Angeles and Chris McCormack and a few other triathletes get to test themselves against the best in that discipline. We had a few words with Macca about it. 5.10.10

Macca goes Tour of California

Will Chrissie Wellington go faster than Lance?

From the article:
Through my bicycle sponsor Specialized who sponsors two of the major Pro Teams racing in this year event, the opportunity presented itself again and I was invited to race. I took them up on the offer and said, yes that would be lots of fun. I live in LA, and this is the biggest cycle event in the world outside the Tour De France and it is in my backyard. I would have to be crazy not to want to be part of this event again.
Oh FFS, stupid triathletes! I guess nobody told him that one of Specialized's two top teams was not bothering with the "second biggest race everrr"

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
To think Cavendish misses the Giro to compete in this particularly lame sounding race.

I'd be upset if i was Cav getting to ride the "second biggest race" and compete against fitness fanatics, triathletes or whatever when he should be competing in a major tour.

sublimit said:
To think Cavendish misses the Giro to compete in this particularly lame sounding race.

I'd be upset if i was Cav getting to ride the "second biggest race" and compete against fitness fanatics, triathletes or whatever when he should be competing in a major tour.

But the Giro is a $h!t small race ... Griepel is riding it (well sorta) ;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
El Oso said:
But the Giro is a $h!t small race ... Griepel is riding it (well sorta) ;)

you may have a point when it comes to the flat stages. I think this confirms Greiple as overated and a choker, Graeme Brown rides like a bull in a china shop as usual and then comes second.

But It does look like a turkey shoot for Tyler for the sprints if he can get to end, He a class above everybody by the looks of it.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't know who Chrissy Wellington is but I assume it is a she and would want to get a big head start. This certainly sounds like an April Fools joke & only the Americans would do something so rediculous.

I wonder if they'll invite Michael Phelps, Haile Gebrselassie and Cancellara to race against the best triathletes in the world at Kona - actually, that is a good idea!

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Graeme Brown rides like a bull in a china shop

guess you havn't seen the mythbusters episode where they bust that myth. they had to resort to baseball bats to destroy all their chinaware

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
dse1969 said:
I don't know who Chrissy Wellington is but I assume it is a she and would want to get a big head start. This certainly sounds like an April Fools joke & only the Americans would do something so rediculous.

I wonder if they'll invite Michael Phelps, Haile Gebrselassie and Cancellara to race against the best triathletes in the world at Kona - actually, that is a good idea!

she's a British Triathlete and reigning, and triple, World Ironman Champion (2007 , 2008 and 2009)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
she's a British Triathlete and reigning, and triple, World Ironman Champion (2007 , 2008 and 2009)

Like I said, they would want to give her a big head start unless they have decided to add a swim & run into the TT at the ToC. That wouldn't surprise me either.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
wtf is the point of all that running and swimming?? running is terrible for your joints, and there's friggin sharks and sewage and whatnot in the ocean... I don't get it.. those people are nuts

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:

I hear the whole peloton will be wearing sleeveless jerseys and will have bottle cages hanging from their friggin' saddles. They're also foregoing pinning race numbers to their jerseys, instead they'll paint them on their skinny little arms. One safety measure, The Chicken is going to give the triathletes lessons on how to handle a TT bike.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Kender said:
guess you havn't seen the mythbusters episode where they bust that myth. they had to resort to baseball bats to destroy all their chinaware

yeah, maybe he should take up pro bullriding and forget bike racing.. (Graeme Brown)

Actually he is showing some decent form now, Maybe he should ride the TOC and scare the **** out of the triathletes and god knows who else including Chrissy Wellington.
Apparently Wellington is a British triathlete i've vaguely heard of but i wouldnt bother checking her wikipedia page anytime soon and she's probably a choker.. :)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Definitely not a choker. In fact she's never lost an Ironman(8 for 8) and beats a bunch of the male pros to boot.

Chrissie Wellington is an awesome endurance athlete. I was glad to see her name here, because I hadn't seen anything since her fall and numerous broken bones at the start of the year. Details on that in the quote from her blog below. If anyone here thinks they can look down on her as an athlete, you're delusional. And insulting people for running and swimming in addition to riding more than just about anyone is silly.

I watched the Kona Ironman Championships last year. It was an honor. She finished her race, and spent hours at the finish line late that night greeting athletes who took sixteen or seventeen hours to finish. She was standing and dancing and greeting everyone with a hug and a smile. All that after competing for nine straight hours in record time.

This was her race in 2008:

First she swam 2.4 miles in the ocean.

Then she rode a bike for 112 miles on a hot, windy out and back course with no drafting, finishing in 5:05:16 after spending some ten minutes with difficulties repairing a flat - Ironmen do their own.

Then she set a course record in the marathon with a 2:57:44. Her nearest competitor was fifteen minutes back, even with the puncture. In 2009, she beat her own record by fourteen minutes. The men's winner beat her by 33 minutes and change.

6/1/10

It has been a rough a few days but I wanted to update everyone by informing you that I fell off my bike during a ride on Saturday 2 January. The fall resulted in a few broken fingers and bones in my hand, wrist and arm. I underwent an operation on Monday 4 January to insert some wires in my wrist. The operation was a success and I am back home today. I should be out of plaster within 6 weeks. The good news is I will be staying in the Uk for the TCR Show and the 220 Awards Dinner so I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible over those days in February (13th/14th). Smiles, Chrissie.

http://www.chrissiewellington.org/latest-news/a-rough-few-days/

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Chris to look out for is Chris Lieto. He is one of the 2-3 fastest bikers in Triathlon and should put up a top-10 time at TOC

He is the guy who raced Lance in Kona back in February and was 15 seconds out on a 14 mile TT.
http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2010/02/17/lance-armstrong-bests-chris-lieto-tt-challenge/

Chrissie is one of my favorites (I'm one of the fat age groupers who got a hug from her after finishing an hour behind her ), but I don't see hanging with any pro tour rider..not even the guys saving their legs.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
o2binBuzios said:
The Chris to look out for is Chris Lieto. He is one of the 2-3 fastest bikers in Triathlon and should put up a top-10 time at TOC

He is the guy who raced Lance in Kona back in February and was 15 seconds out on a 14 mile TT.
http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2010/02/17/lance-armstrong-bests-chris-lieto-tt-challenge/

Chrissie is one of my favorites (I'm one of the fat age groupers who got a hug from her after finishing an hour behind her ), but I don't see hanging with any pro tour rider..not even the guys saving their legs.

See lance's heart rate at the end of that TT. Having said, didn't see chris's, but its hardly a great point for comparison. Chris is a great cyclist for a triathlete, if he does the TT he won't lose, but then many cyclists won't really put in an effort. Top 10? not a chance.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
3-time Ironman World Champion Chrissie Wellington will also be at the start line of the Amgen Tour of California stage 7 time trial and that adds an interesting twist to the event. At the 2008 Alpe D'Huez Triathlon, the Brit with the big smile finished second overall and is well known in the triathlon world for her cycling prowess. But this TT is of course a slightly different affair.

The Chrissie Wellington factor

Lance Armstrong vs Chris Lieto 2

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, the pressures is on the triathletes to perform.. we will see.

i must admit to be not a massive fan of triathlon but triathletes I've come across are OK having trained with some, it seems more a test of endurance than racing but each to their own i suppose.

TRENDING THREADS