• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

triathlon/ time trial wheels

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I've been doing cross country bike races for the past 10 years, so I've spend a lot of time training on my road bike but recently I've started thinking of trying local triathlon and time trial event. I don't have the luxury of buying a new time trial / triathlon specific bike so i'm stuck with a normal road bike. Beside buying clip on for a more aerodynamic position, I was looking on changing my stock wheels (shimano 7850 C24 ) for something more aero. What wheels, for about 1000 USD , would you guys recommend ? I'd definitely prefer sticking with clincher. Would the difference in time compare to my stock wheels be worth all that money in the first place ? Thanx for your advice.

Cheers

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
NRS_Comp1 said:
I've been doing cross country bike races for the past 10 years, so I've spend a lot of time training on my road bike but recently I've started thinking of trying local triathlon and time trial event. I don't have the luxury of buying a new time trial / triathlon specific bike so i'm stuck with a normal road bike. Beside buying clip on for a more aerodynamic position, I was looking on changing my stock wheels (shimano 7850 C24 ) for something more aero. What wheels, for about 1000 USD , would you guys recommend ? I'd definitely prefer sticking with clincher. Would the difference in time compare to my stock wheels be worth all that money in the first place ? Thanx for your advice.

Cheers

You really have to take a honest self assessment of your abilities. Do you think a cheap carbon wheel set is going to make you any more competitive? There's no weight savings since aero carbon is usually heavier, especially clinchers. Real race wheels are tubular, the weight alone is the biggest reason. Tri/TT is all about momentum and holding it, so weight becomes almost null after you're at speed, hills are another story. It's awesome that you've been racing that long, but are you challenging for the win usually, or are you a mid pack finisher? Any big races where lot's of prize money is involved? If you really think that you'll be able to take advantage of the oh-so-slight advantage that aero wheels give, then gofer it. Those Williams are best bang for the buck in the realm of cheap carbon.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You really have to take a honest self assessment of your abilities. Do you think a cheap carbon wheel set is going to make you any more competitive? There's no weight savings since aero carbon is usually heavier, especially clinchers. Real race wheels are tubular, the weight alone is the biggest reason. Tri/TT is all about momentum and holding it, so weight becomes almost null after you're at speed, hills are another story. It's awesome that you've been racing that long, but are you challenging for the win usually, or are you a mid pack finisher? Any big races where lot's of prize money is involved? If you really think that you'll be able to take advantage of the oh-so-slight advantage that aero wheels give, then gofer it. Those Williams are best bang for the buck in the realm of cheap carbon.

Well to answer your questions, I'm usually a top 5 finisher, in regional races, winning or finishing on the podium in most races. But the prize money is ridiculous so that doesn't help very much, anyways I'm mostly doing it because I love it. I also know that clincher, especially on high profile wheels are way heavier than tubular, but i'm not familiar with tubular. Realistically, I'm also pretty sure the time advantage on a 20 Km time trial will be minimum. Do you have any advice on other piece of equipment that would provide a significant time advantage and that is less expensive than the wheels option ? Thanx for your advice.

Cheers!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
NRS_Comp1 said:
Well to answer your questions, I'm usually a top 5 finisher, in regional races, winning or finishing on the podium in most races. But the prize money is ridiculous so that doesn't help very much, anyways I'm mostly doing it because I love it. I also know that clincher, especially on high profile wheels are way heavier than tubular, but i'm not familiar with tubular. Realistically, I'm also pretty sure the time advantage on a 20 Km time trial will be minimum. Do you have any advice on other piece of equipment that would provide a significant time advantage and that is less expensive than the wheels option ? Thanx for your advice.

Cheers!

Best answer!:)

Wheels are going to be the number one upgrade. Better to have decent wheels than a decent frame if you can only afford one. Aside from new wheels and your clip-on aero bars the only thing you need to concern yourself with is training, diet, and rest. Master those three things and you'll make more improvements on your times than any piece of equipment could.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
NRS_Comp1 said:

Cheers!

bang for buck? clip ons, aero helmet, proper fitting on your clip ons. these things come to mind pretty fast. If you are only into buying speed

If the prize money is a joke then only get the aero bars, and adjust your position.

Why are you talking about spending a thousand dollars on new equipment when you haven't even done a single event yet?

Wait until you show up to see what type of equipment your competition is using before spending a thousand dollars on stuff you might not need.

Then if you don't finish well you can go ahead and spend all the money you want on aero wheels or anything else you think you need to be competitive.

TRENDING THREADS