• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Triathlon wheels

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm about to buy a Cervelo P3 for triathlons from sprint to Ironman distance. Can anybody recommend wheels? Don't know whether to go for deep section wheels or a disc and tri spoke? Difficult to find information on potential performance gains from each. Cheers

Your decision will make no difference to anything. The disc/tri-spoke will be nasty if it's windy, though. Buy the setup you like the look of. Or better yet, save your money and go on a nice trip somewhere.

(I can't believe that the tri-world doesn't have endless advice on this stuff. I'd try and find you a reference, but everytime I go to slowtwitch I laugh so hard I can't get anything done).

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
50/60mm would be the most versatile.Disc/trispoke is the 1st choice for Protour timetrials but maybe too stiff/uncomfortable for ironman distance.if you choose tubulars, you may need butyl inner tubes as latex would lose pressure if you have to park the bike overnight.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
50/60mm would be the most versatile.Disc/trispoke is the 1st choice for Protour timetrials but maybe too stiff/uncomfortable for ironman distance.if you choose tubulars, you may need butyl inner tubes as latex would lose pressure if you have to park the bike overnight.

Pump tyre up in morning. Latex better the rolling resistance

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Pump tyre up in morning. Latex better the rolling resistance

Latex is better for sure but sometimes for triathlon you don't get to pump you're tyres in the morning.Thats why it is typical for tubs marketed for triathlon to have butyl whilst high end road tubs are almost always latex.
PS: What ever happened to those pink AirB inner tubes.They seemed to be the best of both world's

Slowmo said:
Hi, I'm about to buy a Cervelo P3 for triathlons from sprint to Ironman distance. Can anybody recommend wheels? Don't know whether to go for deep section wheels or a disc and tri spoke? Difficult to find information on potential performance gains from each. Cheers

A big 'depends'. Wind, course, climbing.

Probably a set of mid depth carbon all rounders..Campagnolo or Fulcrum.

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en

Slowmo said:

If you're new to riding a Time Trial/Triathlon bike then I would go with a set of mid depth deep section wheels, around 38 to 50mm deep. These should be manageable in most conditions.

As for brands, speak to your local bike shop and find out which brands they are familiar with and what is reliable and easy to maintain. There aren't huge performance differences between the various brands but reliability can vary wildly. As a starting point, I would look at Enve, Reynolds, Hed, Shimano and Campagnolo.

Master50 said:
It is consistent with the articles I have read. More compliant but we are not talking big watts here I expect. Latex tubes are lower rolling resistance.

You misunderstand me. I'm not doubting that latex tubes are "faster". But honestly, who cares? Same with the wheels. People agonize over a few watts or grams. Seriously, life's too short. Just go ride your bike.

Latex tubes? Really guys, can we not keep the random off-topic bickering out of the helpful parts of the forum.

A decent set of carbon aero clinchers, built with enough spokes that you can train on them to start with.

And yes, that means hand-built, it's worth it. Spec them so you get an easily serviceable hub, spokes that don't take weeks to arrive and use a local builder who can do maintenance/repairs in a couple of days when you drop the wheels off.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

mdus08 said:
Tri spoke would be fine if it's windy, especially the rim shape is well designed.

Replying to posts almost two years later. Ok. What in the hell happened to this place? Used to be a busy hub of shared information. It's a *** ghost town! :(

Re: Re:

MWC said:
mdus08 said:
Tri spoke would be fine if it's windy, especially the rim shape is well designed.

Replying to posts almost two years later. Ok. What in the hell happened to this place? Used to be a busy hub of shared information. It's a **** ghost town! :(

It's usually how the more sophisticated spam artists operate. Build a profile with some posts by replying to dead threads then start posting links.

King Boonen said:
MWC said:
mdus08 said:

Replying to posts almost two years later. Ok. What in the hell happened to this place? Used to be a busy hub of shared information. It's a **** ghost town! :(

It's usually how the more sophisticated spam artists operate. Build a profile with some posts by replying to dead threads then start posting links.

Go over to US and World politics..General section...there the BS is deep, smelly and frequent..

Bustedknuckle said:
King Boonen said:
MWC said:
mdus08 said:

Go over to US and World politics..General section...there the BS is deep, smelly and frequent..

I've read but very rarely post in those threads. I'm pretty sure my politics are very, very different to most posters in there.

TRENDING THREADS