• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trying to reason in the Magpie season

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Spring has hit the gold coast in a big way, so fat this week I've been dive bombed by pee wees, nosey miners a fig bird and today, got blind-sided by a maggie. I was going down hill through a round about 40 kmh and the ****** smacked into the side of my head. Just about came off but wobbled on with him chasing me for around 600 m. Ended up with a gash under my eye from his beak, I assume.. I think this might be a rotten year for them.. which brings up my question... does anyone know of a credible deterrent, visual or otherwise, that might have some effect? I have heard about "eyes" one can either buy or make that work, others suggest a rubber snake.. Speaking of snakes there's plenty of them around too.. I digress, any suggestions would be appreciated, other than packing a .22 with me....
BTW, anyone wants to know where that b**tard is, let me know..

I use cable ties on my "cycle to work" helmut. Doesn't look good but I believe it works. I've never had a magpie hit me with them on. They still dive bomb you but they pull out at the last minute and flutter around your head. I've cut sharp points on the ties to make the maggies think twice. Last year I was hit so hard by a magpie I nearly steered into an oncoming car.

Can't seem to upload my own photo but here are a few more ideas too.
I think the guy on the far right either has a strobe or a fog horn.... interesting lol.

r458677_2248301.jpg

magpie%2002%20cropped%20resized%20for%20web.jpg

PS: anyone have any advice on how to upload a photo from your own computer?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
I use cable ties on my "cycle to work" helmut. Doesn't look good but I believe it works. I've never had a magpie hit me with them on. They still dive bomb you but they pull out at the last minute and flutter around your head. I've cut sharp points on the ties to make the maggies think twice. Last year I was hit so hard by a magpie I nearly steered into an oncoming car.

8yR2jH

Hmmm, that's a new one, I suppose who cares if you look like a albino hedgehog.. I like that, thanks. I saw there was a cycle shop in Vic that offered some form of googly eyes that you could stick on the back of your lid, claimed a high success rate.. but a physical deterrent seems a better option...:D

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
White Zipp ties are the best Last year a Maggie swooped and lifted the lid off my helmet same maggie is back but when he swooped he pulled out last minuit making a big sqarking noise. Coward. I was hopeing to get it with my pump.

Only other way is 12 gauge shot gun.

The Zipp ties hold the old helmet together as well.

Yes Magpies are a real hassle. I am one of the more "vocal" cyclists within our local bunch when it come to this matter, and rightly so I believe. In just a few posts above we have people almost losing eyes and close encounters with cars, they are a serious threat and should not be taken lightly. I have tried cable ties and I support the above comments, they still swoop but the birds I have confronted do pull away at the last minute. A method I used as a kid was to use my steel Zefal HPX pump and once I entered the known area I would wave it above my head, you do not even need to look back they will not come near you. But my most recent approach is to find training/commuting loops that I classify as being "certified Magpie free" this can be difficult as it sometimes seems they are everywhere. I have read about people trying to form friendly relationships with them by stopping and leaving bits of meat etc. I did contemplate this but have not tried it. Formal studies have been conducted on them being capable of recalling individuals so if you gave one trouble five years ago they will not forget.

Despite my cycling hatred for these birds I do admire them, they are one of very few bird species that have prospered as a result of our invasion of their habitats.

Goodluck

A

Anonymous

Glad I don't have THAT problem

Around here we have smaller redwing blackbirds, but nothing big. There are some bird barrier products like this
ohv0nk.jpg

called "Nixalite" that keep birds from roosting or landing, used on buildings. If you could get a piece of that I bet it would work too. Mount with Velcro you could take the stuff off your helmet when you want... just thinking.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
weird here in cali there is no such species of attack birds what a trip to have birds attack you. i was once attacked by a large domesticated parrot when i was a kid the thing was huge very lame. more seriously i have had rottweilers come after me never birds though.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
Around here we have smaller redwing blackbirds, but nothing big. There are some bird barrier products like this
ohv0nk.jpg

called "Nixalite" that keep birds from roosting or landing, used on buildings. If you could get a piece of that I bet it would work too. Mount with Velcro you could take the stuff off your helmet when you want... just thinking.

That stuff looks nice and dangerous.. i like that...

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
weird here in cali there is no such species of attack birds what a trip to have birds attack you. i was once attacked by a large domesticated parrot when i was a kid the thing was huge very lame. more seriously i have had rottweilers come after me never birds though.

It's Australia, mate.. there's not too much here that won't try and have a bite of you... magpies here are a north american crow sized bird that gets very territorial come mating season and has a go at anyone near their nests. it all part of springtime here...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
S2Sturges said:
Spring has hit the gold coast in a big way, so fat this week I've been dive bombed by pee wees, nosey miners a fig bird and today, got blind-sided by a maggie. I was going down hill through a round about 40 kmh and the ****** smacked into the side of my head. Just about came off but wobbled on with him chasing me for around 600 m. Ended up with a gash under my eye from his beak, I assume.. I think this might be a rotten year for them.. which brings up my question... does anyone know of a credible deterrent, visual or otherwise, that might have some effect? I have heard about "eyes" one can either buy or make that work, others suggest a rubber snake.. Speaking of snakes there's plenty of them around too.. I digress, any suggestions would be appreciated, other than packing a .22 with me....
BTW, anyone wants to know where that b**tard is, let me know..

my first trip to OZ I took a morning Jog near a golf course and got hit by a magpie. first thought it was a golf ball but then it kept coming back at me. scared the livin u know whut out of me and I looked like a girl fight running away throwing windmills in the air. truly one of the most frighting things that has ever happened to me. If I were on a bike I probably would have gone down hard

thanks for the reminder

I spent a year in Oz at school. I can remember during Magpie season I did a lot of out and back routes b/c of some seriously deranged "country" magpies that teamed up on me. One would land in front of me and the other would swoop me. I worked with a guy at a bike shop who broke his leg after he beaned a pole during an attack.

It's funny how when Aussies come to Canada they get all freaked out about bears, wolves and cougars (the cat variety) but pretty much no one gets seriously hassled by these animals. I go to Oz and I'm attacked by everything that moves...even spooked by an Emu...luckily I was going down the mountain!

S2Sturges said:
.... Ended up with a gash under my eye from his beak, I assume.. I think this might be a rotten year for them.. which brings up my question... does anyone know of a credible deterrent, visual or otherwise, that might have some effect? I have heard about "eyes" one can either buy or make that work, others suggest a rubber snake.

By the way I've also heard that putting eyes on the back of your helmut actually makes things worse as they naturally go for the eyes. As evidenced by your injury. On another occasion I had one go under my helmut and gave me a gash on the ear. I think a physical barrier is safer.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:

Can't seem to upload my own photo but here are a few more ideas too.
I think the guy on the far right either has a strobe or a fog horn.... interesting lol.

r458677_2248301.jpg

magpie%2002%20cropped%20resized%20for%20web.jpg

PS: anyone have any advice on how to upload a photo from your own computer?

The zip tie method seems to be the shot... I have to agree that a physical rather than visual method is the way to go, it's not for long anyways, the maggies seem to cool down after a month or 6 weeks... I guess they are preoccupied with other matters. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments! It's all a part of living in a quirky country, but I love it..:D

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Cant find a link to youtube but a group of people had some fun running tests on what keeps magpies at bay. They tried all of the suggestion mentioned above and none of them worked.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
OK. This thread alone made it worth signing up here. This is, by North American standards and my own twisted sense of humor...the funniest thread I have read in a very long time.

Attacking Magpies and all the spikey helmet-mounted deterrents is nothing I have ever come across.Ever.

I've spent most of my adult life around Magpies all over the Western US, and they're much more polite here.:)

What the h@ll is up with the wildlife down there? Box Jellies, really p*ssed off spiders, one or two of the planet's most deadly snakes...and now I've heard everything... killer Magpies...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Guttercat said:
What the h@ll is up with the wildlife down there? Box Jellies, really p*ssed off spiders, one or two of the planet's most deadly snakes...and now I've heard everything... killer Magpies...

Don't forget the cane toads.

Fenceline said:
Cant find a link to youtube but a group of people had some fun running tests on what keeps magpies at bay. They tried all of the suggestion mentioned above and none of them worked.

I think these are the links you are after

Killer Magpie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4
Killer Magpie 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_n4DgJDHs&feature=related

In it they appear to recommend going without a helmut which I think would be very brave. My sister ended up with 10 stitches in her head doing this.

"Swooping magpie blamed for death of Ipswich boy who was hit by a car"

It was only a matter of time. Personally I think they should be culled.

Attacking Magpies and all the spikey helmet-mounted deterrents is nothing I have ever come across.Ever.

I guess it does appear amusing but really they are a pest and a real danger to cyclists. It's not so bad when you know you are entering a known magpie area, you can look out for them. But if you are cycling along minding your own business, maybe daydreaming about something and all of a sudden you get a thump on the helmut or the neck or ear, you hear the beaks gnashing together and you have feathers and wings flapping about your head and your face.... it scares the bejeavers out of you for a moment or two... and it's very difficult to keep your bike under control.

I still feel safer with the cable ties and like I said they seem to prevent contact.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
I guess it does appear amusing but really they are a pest and a real danger to cyclists. It's not so bad when you know you are entering a known magpie area, you can look out for them. But if you are cycling along minding your own business, maybe daydreaming about something and all of a sudden you get a thump on the helmut or the neck or ear, you hear the beaks gnashing together and you have feathers and wings flapping about your head and your face.... it scares the bejeavers out of you for a moment or two... and it's very difficult to keep your bike under control.

I still feel safer with the cable ties and like I said they seem to prevent contact.

Yes. I was trying to think how to word my post without sounding insensitive to the real danger the Aussie Magpies pose. Obviously, not funny to those who have been wrecked, maimed or killed by these things. I'm quite sorry if I've offended anyone.

The worst I get up here when I'm riding is the occasional deer darting out across the road. Well...come to think of it I have almost been nailed twice by rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the roadside...once when I was running. The d@mned thing was hiding under a piece of paper and came mm's from my ankle. Ugh! We've got plenty of mountain lion and bears too...but methinks the Aussie Magpies would kill me sooner than a bear.

I'll ship some of our Magpies your way to teach your local riff-raff Maggies some manners. There's a tune I know about Magpies...calls them them "Coyotes in the sky".

Stay safe down there y'all. Sheesh!

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but the people who say Magpies need to be culled, need to be culled themselves. Just ride faster and shut up.

The poor animals are terrified when they swoop. It's a paradox for them. They are scared of people. They are trying to protect their babies as any parent would. Some magpies dont swoop because they have never had the trauma of people throwing rocks at them or messing with their nests.

I have seen a magpie hold up traffic by putting its wings up after one of it's family was hit by a car. Was amazing.

eljimberino said:
Sorry, but the people who say they need to be culled, need to be culled themselves. Just ride faster and shut up.

So let me get this right. Magpies shouldn't be culled, but I should be because I suggested it. Rrrrright. Gotcha buddy, are you ....seeing someone about this problem? Why don't you suggest that little gem to the parents of the boy killed as a result of the swooping magpie.

And your advice to ride faster is seriously flawed. In all the circumstances I can think of where I have been attacked it wasn't possible.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Any chance the worlds in Geelong will be affected by magpies?

I was one hit in the face by a crow. It was sitting on the tarmac in front of me and decided to take off when I was 10-15 m away. Unfortunately, it took of right in my direction and I was not able to dodge it, but I half way protected my face with my arm, so I didn't get hurt.

Further up north, say Greenland and Svalbard, they have birds which attack you like the magpies. But they will never hit you. They change direction half a metre over your head. Instead they will vomit their fishy stomach contents all over you. Disgusting

TRENDING THREADS