• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TTT's

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don’t mind TTT’s when they’re all in for the TTT only, not compromised by team selection for the rest of a stage race. It’s an established, technical discipline in its own right IMO.

I’d like to see the old Eindhoven TTT or something similar return to the World Tour, and keep them out of stage races, so each team is picking the strongest squad available.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I don't dislike TTT's, but they've become more and more a replacer of long ITT's, which is ridicolous.
The most annoying change in cycling the last 20 years is that long ITT's are almost completely gone and replaced by TTT's up to 20/30km.

Bring back a classical GT with 5/6 mt stages, 2 decent long ITT's and a short prologue and maybe a short TTT. But don't use TTT's in 1 week stage races please.

Your avatar would certainly approve! I kind of agree, but you have to admit that the Indurain years were a lot like the road runner cartoons - the climbers being the coyote. All anyone wanted was for a climber to take enough time on a col to make up the massive deficit from the tt's.....but it was an impossible task.

But yeah, a GT win without a long ITT does feel a bit cheap.

For stage races, I find it silly that a rider doesn't get his own time (for GC), but is punished by slower teammates. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't mind them once in a while, as long as they fit the rest of the route. In Qatar I think it made fine sense to have one, the same for Eneco. In GTs I can forgive a lot if there are proper stages elsewhere, but when the mountain stages only see gaps between the podium riders of more than 6'' in one stage (which was 22'', created in a 500m sprint), it doesn't really make any sense. In Tirreno-Adriatico, there are bigger room for improvement elsewhere.

Routes of a technicality that favours cohesive teams over the strongest are preferable as well.

TRENDING THREADS