• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tubular Glue

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The "which tubular glue to use with which brand of tire" question seems to be answered by matching the brand. Conti tire, Conti glue. Vittoria tire, Vittoria glue. Clement glue seemed to be very popular years ago. 3M also had a product I remember people used to glue tubulars. I have heard the Tufo tape has consistancy issuesalthough it is easy to apply. With all gluing application and procedures aside, because I do not mind a bit of a mess if the glue will hold the tire, what tubular glue is best? Carbon rims vs. aluminum differences?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bicyclestreet said:
The "which tubular glue to use with which brand of tire" question seems to be answered by matching the brand. Conti tire, Conti glue. Vittoria tire, Vittoria glue. Clement glue seemed to be very popular years ago. 3M also had a product I remember people used to glue tubulars. I have heard the Tufo tape has consistancy issuesalthough it is easy to apply. With all gluing application and procedures aside, because I do not mind a bit of a mess if the glue will hold the tire, what tubular glue is best? Carbon rims vs. aluminum differences?

Either Vittoria or Conti and no need to match them to the tire. The very best, IMO, is Panaracer tubie glue. Thin, expensive and makes you 'take a trip without leaving the farm' when you use it so use it in well ventilated spaces.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yep, Pietro is right. No need to match brands. Conti, Vittoria, and Panaracer are the most used. I don't think Clement is around anymore, and I've never seen or heard of anyone use that Tufo tape, so that might be saying something.

Personally I've been using the Conti glue the longest. Tried the Panaracer glue once, and just as mentioned before, pack your bags for the trip. Or open the garage door. 3M FastTack is ok, It cures fast, but does not hold as strong as a Conti,Vittoria, or Pana.

Carbon Vs. Aluminum tubular rims; Depending on which rim, the part that you have to be careful with is cleaning the old glue off. For carbon, you need to be careful what kind of solvent is used, because you can actually ruin the bonding adhesive that holds the carbon fibers together with a harsh solvent. For the most part you can use acetone or alcohol, but check with the manufacturer to make sure. For my Zipps I use a 200-300 grit sandpaper and alcohol. For aluminum rims It's more safe to use acetone.

Good luck!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yep, Pietro is right. No need to match brands. Conti, Vittoria, and Panaracer are the most used. I don't think Clement is around anymore, and I've never seen or heard of anyone use that Tufo tape, so that might be saying something.

Personally I've been using the Conti glue the longest. Tried the Panaracer glue once, and just as mentioned before, pack your bags for the trip. Or open the garage door. 3M FastTack is ok, It cures fast, but does not hold as strong as a Conti,Vittoria, or Pana.

Carbon Vs. Aluminum tubular rims; Depending on which rim, the part that you have to be careful with is cleaning the old glue off. For carbon, you need to be careful what kind of solvent is used, because you can actually ruin the bonding adhesive that holds the carbon fibers together with a harsh solvent. For the most part you can use acetone or alcohol, but check with the manufacturer to make sure. For my Zipps I use a 200-300 grit sandpaper and alcohol. For aluminum rims It's more safe to use acetone.

Good luck!

I generally don't take the glue off unless it's really glumpy. I use either acetone or 3M glue remover and a scotchbrite pad. Lots of time, ventilated space and lots of elbow grasso.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Vittoria Mastik one, proves to be the best regardless of tire or rim type.
Conti is a close second.
Just be careful and take your time. Like many things bicycle related that are often thought of as difficult, if you've got a measure of practical skill and are prepared to read and listen to advice from knowledgeable people they are easily achievable. Practice make perfect.
This is a very good resource for those new to tubular gluing.
Explains adhesive strength of different glues.
http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

WARNING: Once you've experienced tubulars it's hard to go back.

TRENDING THREADS