• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tue

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cycle Chic said:
because they are banned...durrrr....that's what busted Armstrong..that why TUE exemptions are so important to get. If Froome has a free pass with corticosteroids for treatment of bilharzia..thats quite an advantage..coupled with Epo..and who knows what else.

A TUE is not a free-pass. The level is controlled and will no doubt be more closely monitored precisely because the rider has applied for a TUE.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I think you are just playing around, game

We need to know:

How many are on TUEs on sky and for what periods and products.

Then I like see similar statistics for all other pro teams.

Lets get a complete picture of the abuse.

I fully agree, we need to see publicly the TUE's for all teams. Fully agree with you.

The point is, we spent two pages trying to get The Hog why British Cycling would be issuing a whole bunch of TUE's for Cortisone. A product you don't need an out of competition TUE for, from a body that doesn't issue TUE's.

Now The Hog has stopped pontificating and accepted he has no idea what he is talking about we can return to the main point.

From Dim
http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1314.msg108869#msg108869

Bradley Wiggins race schedule for 2012
Volta ao Algarve 15th to 19th Feb - 3rd
Paris Nice 4th to 11th March - 1st
Catalunya 19th to 25th March - dnf
Romandie 24th to 29th April - 1st
Dauphine 3rd to 10th June - 1st
Tour de France 30th June to 22nd July - 1st

So just looking at the races he rode, a good few weeks before Paris Nice, nearly a month between Catalunya and Romandie,over a month between Romandie and the Dauphine, and 3 weeks between Dauphine and the Tour.

Thats three really long periods without racing where for instance, Cortisone could be used without having to worry about the 8 day no racing rule (as I say, training, the UCI cant really do anything about that).

Lets say that Wiggins had gone the more tradition route of using races for training, and done.. Amstel and Liege in early april. Suddenly that nice big block in April is reduced by a week for races plus an additional 8 days cortisone ban. Thats over 2 weeks potential cortisone use of of the window.

Rides the Four days of Dunkirk, or Tour de Picardie, or Tour of Norway in May, thats another week of racing gone, and another 8 days of potential cortisone use.

Already thats a month worth of use of a perfectly legal product taken away, and you cant tell me a months worth of cortisone doesnt have a benefit.
Pretty much spot on, cortisone should be fully restricted at all times, or something done about its abuse. All teams are using it in training.
And all TUE's should be published.

I think we need to clarify:
Do you need a TUE for corticosteroids outside of races. The WADA list seems to indicate not.

ebandit said:
bobbins said:
Are back-dated TUEs still allowed?
they never were allowed...........lance's back dated TUE was accepted even

though it was infringement of clearly stated rules

Mark L
If you're alluding to Pharmstrong in 1999, there was no TUE. What magically materialised was a prescription for the cortisone ointment, not a TUE. Hog conjured up the prescription, submitted it to the authorities, claimed they'd had it all along but forgot to petition for the TUE, and begged for mercy. I don't know how that morphed into a tale about a backdated TUE, if it was part of Pharmstrong's disinformation campaign or came from one of his dupes, but there never was a TUE.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Yea, Dim, i think he even believes Sky are into something.

Yes, it does say a lot about Sky if Dim doesn't believe Sky are palying fair.

Although Dim doesn't think Sky are using anything like EPO, but would Froome be able to ride up mountains without oxygen vector enhancement?

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

The Carrot said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3465166/Up-half-children-diagnosed-asthma-not-condition.html

Can anyone think of another group of people who may have been 'misdiagnosed' with asthma?
As someone who suffers from asthma and who has two small children with asthma, I can safely say that with asthma it's always better to over-diagnose. Without a management plan, seemingly marginal sufferers can have an event that is life-threatening and results in a very scary trip to the hospital.

Anecdote: one of my children was diagnosed as maaaaybe asthmatic and given a Salbutamol inhaler just in case. Then one day they started wheezing a bit and took a hit off the inhaler. Except they didn't respond... The wheezing got worse and the Salbutamol wasn't doing anything.

Triple-speed, tires screeching trip to our Children's hospital. Straight into a room and put on an eye-watering course of 250 ug Salbutamol (five puffs of inhaler) every twenty minutes for about five hours. Massive shot of powerful systemic steroids. Medium course of elephant strength cortico-steroids. Doctors twitching and in/out of the room every couple of minutes.

Now go back to that initial diagnosis. You want to be the doctor to say "nah, you're fine" and not diagnose asthma?

John Swanson

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

ScienceIsCool said:
The Carrot said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3465166/Up-half-children-diagnosed-asthma-not-condition.html

Can anyone think of another group of people who may have been 'misdiagnosed' with asthma?
As someone who suffers from asthma and who has two small children with asthma, I can safely say that with asthma it's always better to over-diagnose. Without a management plan, seemingly marginal sufferers can have an event that is life-threatening and results in a very scary trip to the hospital.

Anecdote: one of my children was diagnosed as maaaaybe asthmatic and given a Salbutamol inhaler just in case. Then one day they started wheezing a bit and took a hit off the inhaler. Except they didn't respond... The wheezing got worse and the Salbutamol wasn't doing anything.

Triple-speed, tires screeching trip to our Children's hospital. Straight into a room and put on an eye-watering course of 250 ug Salbutamol (five puffs of inhaler) every twenty minutes for about five hours. Massive shot of powerful systemic steroids. Medium course of elephant strength cortico-steroids. Doctors twitching and in/out of the room every couple of minutes.

Now go back to that initial diagnosis. You want to be the doctor to say "nah, you're fine" and not diagnose asthma?

John Swanson

It's kind of insulting (to me at least) that (many) athletes and their doctors deliberately misdiagnose such a potentially serious condition in order to gain TUEs.

I hope all is OK with your child now.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. They're doing great and even mild attacks are very rare - it's good to have that management plan in place though!

Which is why I think it's so easy to get that diagnosis. I don't think it's dodgy, lazy doctors. If they hear even a bit of rattle/wheeze the safest, most responsible thing to do is diagnose asthma. There's no downside as bronchodilators (ex: Salbutamol) have no short or long-term side effects. They aren't addictive and the effects are short acting. On the other hand, if you need an inhaler and don't have one...

John Swanson

Of course...

Though I imagine the paperwork should be pretty easy for the Novo people:
Yeah, we'd like to apply for all our riders to be allowed to inject themselves with insulin. Got diabetes the lot of them!

Remember reading a quite funny story about Dowsett, telling of how he was caught "redhanded" by one of his former Sky teammates in the middle of injecting himself. Kinda made me wonder if they didn't tell the other riders about it.