• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TUFO tubular/clinchers

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
Any advice about these, I'm a little worried that I might flat with them and then what?

Well, they come with goop to seal a hole but if it's too large, ya better have a tire and tube to replace the flat. I think a regular clincher is a better idea.

Traditional tubulars is another discussion.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
Any advice about these, I'm a little worried that I might flat with them and then what?

I have a new set and hat'em. They are heavy and ride rough. Have put maybe 200 miles on'em. I'll be dumping them soon. A big waste. Worst bicycle tire I've tried.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The tubular-clincher was a novel idea until people started riding them. TUFO makes really nice tubulars that are wildly popular on the track and in the cross scene, but it's that hard bead of the tubular-clincher is what's giving the rough ride. And as far as flats go with those, you're essentially screwed. The bead is glued over the stitches to access the tube. Lame.

Stick to clinchers for training tires, or tyres. Can't reiterate that enough.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The tubular-clincher was a novel idea until people started riding them. TUFO makes really nice tubulars that are wildly popular on the track and in the cross scene, but it's that hard bead of the tubular-clincher is what's giving the rough ride. And as far as flats go with those, you're essentially screwed. The bead is glued over the stitches to access the tube. Lame.

Old idea. Clement used to have the same thing but with a tube.

No tube in it, AFAIK, like their tubies.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
TUFO is really funny about calling their technology "tubless", which isn't the case at all. They have tubes, they just call it the "air tight layer" instead, when in fact It's just a plain old butyl tube. Go figure, another bike related company using BS terminology and false technology to deceive the consumer.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Wish that I had posted with the question that St. Elia did before purchasing. Yeah I got shanked.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Run them lower pressure than clinchers and they won't ride as badly. Keep them at 80psi or so. If you pump them up hard, they are horrible riding tires. Because they function like tubulars, you won't pinch flat them at the lower pressure like you would a clincher.

As other mention, they are heavy, so once you wear them out, I'd toss them for a good set of clinchers.