• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Two Canadian Pro Tour Events!!

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Great to see that we've got 2 Pro Tour events lined up in the Great White North for 2010. I'm a bit surprised that both are scheduled for September, but that probably makes more sense for the organizer. My only wish would be to spread that Pro Tour wealth across the North American calendar to benefit more races.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Montreal-Boston?

I am happy that Canada is able to host two ProTour events, but I think a one day event in Quebec followed by the previously proposed Montreal-Boston stage race would better promote cycling in North America. As much as Montreal and Quebec are fantastic locales, media and sponsor exposure would be greatly improved if a race dipped south of the border.

I am interested to see if Steve Bauer is able to sign some stronger riders for his Planet Energy squad, now that they have entry to two ProTour races.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious as to why these races? I mean sure it's great to see the sport expanding outside europe. But there are more well known and established races to have first?

(Don't forget ATOC will be protour in 2011)

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
bikenrunnwt said:
I am interested to see if Steve Bauer is able to sign some stronger riders for his Planet Energy squad, now that they have entry to two ProTour races.

Yeah, I'm interested to see who Bauer can get. They've got a good crop of sprinters, but I can't see either race coming down to a bunch sprint. Anybody know who Michael Barry's riding for next year? His website says it's more of a development squad, but doesn't say who.

doddy13 said:
I'm curious as to why these races? I mean sure it's great to see the sport expanding outside europe. But there are more well known and established races to have first?

(Don't forget ATOC will be protour in 2011)

It probably comes down to the relationship the organizer had with the UCI previously. He used to run the Grand Prix des Ameriques which was the only non-Eurpoean World Cup event - last held in '92 when Lancie-boy was just a Neo-Pro.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I hope it gets European TV coverage like the TOC gets (and is confirmed for eurosport next year. Giro in daytime, TOC in night perfect!).

I'm all for the globalisation, and hopefully the course will be good. It should also attract riders aiming towards the worlds in Australia.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Yeah, I'm interested to see who Bauer can get. They've got a good crop of sprinters, but I can't see either race coming down to a bunch sprint. Anybody know who Michael Barry's riding for next year? His website says it's more of a development squad, but doesn't say who.
I have a feeling he is signing with Sky. In his article he said he is signing with a developing and not development squad. I think he will stay in Europe as his family is pretty settled in Girona. I think he will keep plying his trade on a ProTour level squad so he can finally get his much deserved Tour de France ride. Maybe in a couple of years he might come and ride with Planet Energy if it is still around.

I would like to see some of the old Symmetrics boys ride with Planet Energy. If they are looking for a GC rider they should try and pick up Will Routley from Jelly Belly. Cam Evans (Team Ouch) would be a good pick up as well. Maybe Kevin Lacombe and Martin Gilbert can convince their friend David Veilleux to defect back to a Canadian Team.