• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Two David Walsh inteviews - PRR Edition

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
FYI

Two interviews of David Walsh; one an interview of Walsh, the other an interview of Bradley Wiggins by Walsh. Doping and sky touched on in both.

1. VeloVeritas interviewing David Walsh on Sky, USPS, doping and Dan Martin

2. David Walsh inteviews Bradley Wiggins on Kimmage, Landis, doping and Froome.

This thread is linked with this thread, which links to the same two interviews for Clinic purposes, as both interview contain extensive discussion on doping and non-doping matters. Please restrict doping conversations to the Clinic version.

martinvickers said:
FYI

Two interviews of David Walsh; one an interview of Walsh, the other an interview of Bradley Wiggins by Walsh. Doping and sky touched on in both.

1. VeloVeritas interviewing David Walsh on Sky, USPS, doping and Dan Martin

2. David Walsh inteviews Bradley Wiggins on Kimmage, Landis, doping and Froome.

This thread is linked with this thread, which links to the same two interviews for Clinic purposes, as both interview contain extensive discussion on doping and non-doping matters. Please restrict doping conversations to the Clinic version.

Martin, you just know the clinic version will get way, way more traffic! :p

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Most interesting non clinic point in the Sunday Times interview is that Wiggo said this year is not a Giro project but a Giro/Tour project and he will be going for the win in the Tour (without hurting Froome's chances)

He is not friends with Froome but has a working relationship. He is still bitter about the attacks in last year's Tour, especially in the Pyrennes.

Admits that Froome is now best climber in the world ahead of Contador and can hold his own in the tt.

Not sure how the Tour will play out. It sounds like a more subtle version of Hinault/LeMonde - Wiggo will get a small lead in the tt and then Froome will have to break him in the mountains.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
What's the point of even mentioning the d word if that's not what you want? Re-write your post with what you want to talk about.

Very simple. The articles contain both doping info and non-doping info. Discuss the former at the clinic. the latter here.

What's so confusing for you about that?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
What's up with Wiggins bringing Peyragudes up again?

He had the Tour won at that point so the only one who should be upset is Froome for being denied a chance to go for another stage win.

ow it's just showed.. that "it wasn't nothing" as they claimed on the press last year. Wiggin must felt that Froome was attacking him on purpose. Otherwise, he won't brought it up again. So I'm sure... he is saying between the line, 'i won't ride for you because i'm still the defending champ'. And the fact that Froome has been winning/podium on all stage races that he entered, it must be hard to hear the media is talking about Froome as the sky top dog :p (it more and more shows that Froome was actually being held back to make wiggin won). So should be interesting to see how it will unfold comes july. There's not much to talk about since we'll be seeing sky domination anyway. So a rift ala amstrong contador might be a nice hot spice sauce for this year TDF.:D

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
ow it's just showed.. that "it wasn't nothing" as they claimed on the press last year. Wiggin must felt that Froome was attacking him on purpose. Otherwise, he won't brought it up again. So I'm sure... he is saying between the line, 'i won't ride for you because i'm still the defending champ'. And the fact that Froome has been winning/podium on all stage races that he entered, it must be hard to hear the media is talking about Froome as the sky top dog :p (it more and more shows that Froome was actually being held back to make wiggin won). So should be interesting to see how it will unfold comes july. There's not much to talk about since we'll be seeing sky domination anyway. So a rift ala amstrong contador might be a nice hot spice sauce for this year TDF.:D

It's pretty clearly playing up a repeat of the lemond hinault saga. Not sure if its for real or for pr, but the vibe is obvious...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
keithmcmahon said:
Most interesting non clinic point in the Sunday Times interview is that Wiggo said this year is not a Giro project but a Giro/Tour project and he will be going for the win in the Tour (without hurting Froome's chances)

He is not friends with Froome but has a working relationship. He is still bitter about the attacks in last year's Tour, especially in the Pyrennes.

Admits that Froome is now best climber in the world ahead of Contador and can hold his own in the tt.

Not sure how the Tour will play out. It sounds like a more subtle version of Hinault/LeMonde - Wiggo will get a small lead in the tt and then Froome will have to break him in the mountains.

What? Does Wiggins even pay attention to the stuff that comes out of his mouth anymore? How is he suppose to go for the win in the Tour without hurting Froomes chances? :confused:

Also, Wiggins really needs to grow up and forget about Froome riding away from him last year. Froome has much more reason to be bitter about it, and you don't see him bringing it up in every interview he does. :rolleyes:

Afrank said:
What? Does Wiggins even pay attention to the stuff that comes out of his mouth anymore? How is he suppose to go for the win in the Tour without hurting Froomes chances? :confused:

Also, Wiggins really needs to grow up and forget about Froome riding away from him last year. Froome has much more reason to be bitter about it, and you don't see him bringing it up in every interview he does. :rolleyes:

This.

I hope MC is made aware that he is still complaining about the fact that his personal slave gave up his own dreams to help wiggins win the tour.

Afrank said:
This will make the Tour more watchable. Sir Wiggo has been knighted, thus he has the right to say and do what he wants. :D

keithmcmahon said:

1st bolded part - that's a really bad idea.

2nd bolded part - what a total crybaby. The guy wins le Tour and still has sour grapes. Suck-hole.

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ripper said:
2nd bolded part - what a total crybaby. The guy wins le Tour and still has sour grapes. Suck-hole.
I'm no fan of Wiggins, but I think his bitterness is reasonable. Froome's exaggerated gestures (the repeated looks back to Wiggins and the impatient waves of the hand) were an obvious attempt to make the point for all the cameras that Froome was stronger. At the time I remember thinking that it must have been humiliating for Wiggins, even though he was clinching the victory.

While Froome's actions looked disrespectful, it is very doubtful that it was intentionally so. It is more obvious that the stage victory was what Froome was thinking about, however he was already been given explicit orders by Brailsford and Yates to stay with Wiggins. Froome was therefore hoping to win the stage with Wiggins still on his wheel so he urged Wiggins to stay on his wheel while he tried to bridge up to Valverde. Unfortunately for them Wiggins didn't have it in him and so it ended up looking bad on both of them.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Wiggo has clarified a little in an interview with Sky Sports:

1. He is going for Giro/Tour double
2. It will be upto Sir Dave to decide what the team tactics are before the Tour.
3. He can easily see Sky having the two favourites for the Tour
4. He will not do anything to upset the team objectives
5. Both of them are professional and will follow team orders.

So, it is down to Sir Dave, no doubt with help from The Kerrison spreadsheets.

Chicogomes said:
I'm no fan of Wiggins, but I think his bitterness is reasonable. Froome's exaggerated gestures (the repeated looks back to Wiggins and the impatient waves of the hand) were an obvious attempt to make the point for all the cameras that Froome was stronger. At the time I remember thinking that it must have been humiliating for Wiggins, even though he was clinching the victory.

yeah poor Wiggins, his teammate gave him a look. I'm sure he'd much rather have been the domestique not allowed to win, who wasted his season peak on helping an ungrateful brat win the tour and get all the credit.

TRENDING THREADS