• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Txema Gonzalez - Team Sky Soigneur

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I was very shocked to hear of the death of Txema - who was a soigneur at Team Sky, earlier today.

I have had the pleasure of meeting him and he was a very quiet gentleman who was not only friendly but a consummate professional.

To his family and indeed his extended family in Team Sky and the cycling community, I send my sincere condolences.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I was very shocked to hear of the death of Txema - who was a soigneur at Team Sky, earlier today.

I have had the pleasure of meeting him and he was a very quiet gentleman who was not only friendly but a consummate professional.

To his family and indeed his extended family in Team Sky and the cycling community, I send my sincere condolences.

I echo this, very sad

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:

I never had the pleasure to meet him but everything I've read pointed towards a very special and caring gentleman.

My sincere condolences to hi family, both immediate and extended.

This sudden loss must be devastating.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

+10000000000000000.

43, that is so young :(

A

Anonymous

Hard to know what to say. Txema was a genuinely popular guy amongst the team. Riders all year have had great things to say about him. Its not often you hear of a soigneur that is known to fans of a team after just a few weeks of the season, especially with a new team. Very popular yet by all effect a very quiet unassuming guy.

Devastating for his family, especially as it happened so suddenly. I cant imagine the riders will feel too much like getting on their bikes tomorrow. Someone I was very much looking forward to meeting at some point. Sadly not to be.

Sad day.

A

Anonymous

Team Sky have withdrawn from the Vuelta.

"Txema's death is devastating to everyone in Team Sky. We've lost a good friend, a much respected and valued colleague. We have considered all the elements very carefully and this is the only decision we could take. It's the right one; to show respect to Txema and to look after our team. We discussed it with Txema's family and they fully support our decision. They have asked us to the funeral next week and we will of course be there to support them and to pay our respects." Dave Brailsford

TeamSkyFans said:
Team Sky have withdrawn from the Vuelta.

"Txema's death is devastating to everyone in Team Sky. We've lost a good friend, a much respected and valued colleague. We have considered all the elements very carefully and this is the only decision we could take. It's the right one; to show respect to Txema and to look after our team. We discussed it with Txema's family and they fully support our decision. They have asked us to the funeral next week and we will of course be there to support them and to pay our respects." Dave Brailsford

Thanks for posting.

Sad news for his family and the team. Admirable decision to withdraw.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
With the withdrawl of the team, are they partially doing this with all the illness in the team? If I were him I would want the team to ride on in his honour like Motorola did with Cassatelli but if they are all ill then fair enough. If they pulled out and weren't ill, then that would seem a little odd.

More importantly it is very sad.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
With the withdrawl of the team, are they partially doing this with all the illness in the team? If I were him I would want the team to ride on in his honour like Motorola did with Cassatelli but if they are all ill then fair enough. If they pulled out and weren't ill, then that would seem a little odd.

never an easy decision to make one way or the other, ride on in honour and memory or withdraw out of respect.

May have come down to an internal vote about how everyone felt, did they want to compete further without Txema?

Sad news for someone that young.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Did you read the statement? Difficult to race and attend a funeral, no? There's nothing 'odd' about this other than your inappropriate polemic.

Very sad news and my condolences to the family and those who knew Txema.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Did you read the statement? Difficult to race and attend a funeral, no? There's nothing 'odd' about this other than your inappropriate polemic.

Inappropriate? That is a bit strong. What happened with Cassertelli in '93? They did not retire then. I thought they would and he would of wanted them to ride in his honour but I do understand the descision. Also with a lot of sickness would of made the descision to pull out a bit easier. Hopefully a minute of silence will be spared at the start line today in la vuelta.

I don't want to sound like I am slagging sky but I am just making a comparison of what happened to cassertelli. nice touch on TeamSkyFans

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Inappropriate? That is a bit strong. What happened with Cassertelli in '93? They did not retire then. I thought they would and he would of wanted them to ride in his honour but I do understand the descision. Also with a lot of sickness would of made the descision to pull out a bit easier. Hopefully a minute of silence will be spared at the start line today in la vuelta.

I don't want to sound like I am slagging sky but I am just making a comparison of what happened to cassertelli. nice touch on TeamSkyFans

You mean '95 ;)

If you have read Armstrong's first book, he recalled the incident and said that most of the team wanted to go home, himself included, but it was Fabio Casartelli's wife that urged them to stay in the race. Topsport pulled out of the Tour of Qatar when Nolf died.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Great tribute by David Millar.
its been a pretty sad week with Fignon passing away and now this. Sky sound like they're in bits about this and its obviously devestating for his family.

A

Anonymous

Benotti69 said:
never an easy decision to make one way or the other, ride on in honour and memory or withdraw out of respect.
May have come down to an internal vote about how everyone felt, did they want to compete further without Txema?
Sad news for someone that young.

Txema was much more than just a soigneur to most of the team, he was genuinly loved by the riders and was a freind more than anything. I think Dave Millars comments say as much as well. The riders have lost a freind, and considering how their week as gone with four riders going home sick, and now this, I know i wouldnt feel like riding my bike. Its not just the riders as well, the DS's have been sick too and trying to carry on would be too much, beyond that there is the support staff back in england, staff putting reports up on the website, riders currently not in spain. They all knew Txema, he was an important part of the team. Definately the right decision.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:

I'd agree with that, there is a time to switch these things off,that time is now.

A

Anonymous

"I will no longer find you at the end of a stage, but I will always find you in my heart" Davide Vigano

TRENDING THREADS