• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tyre blowouts

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
all,

just chasing infomation on why my rear tyre blows offen? It is only the rear, and i am wondering if it is due to my weight? I am not prefect weight, but not that much over. The bike is a specialized roubiax. the roads are not great, and also is there any thing else that i can do to help save my tyres/ tubes?????

cheers :)

Regardless of your weight the rear tire takes most of the weight and as such is more likely to blow; especially from pinch flats. Of all the flats that I have had over the years, only one was on the front. This is all normal and there is not much you can do except run a rear type with a bit more puncture resistance.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
what kind of blow out are you getting?

are you getting punctures from glass / sharp objects? - if so apart from trying to avoid riding over them, when you do plus the back of you thumb (the part that is covered by your glove) onto the tyre while your rolling to remove any objects before the push there way into the tyre.

if it's snake eyes - two parrallel puntures " then you need to run higher pressure and avoid riding over put holes and similar road hazards.

other puntures could be from too much pressure, faulty tubes, or glass/sharp objects that inside your tyre and haven't been removed properly.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hotsocks3 said:
all,

just chasing infomation on why my rear tyre blows offen? It is only the rear, and i am wondering if it is due to my weight? I am not prefect weight, but not that much over. The bike is a specialized roubiax. the roads are not great, and also is there any thing else that i can do to help save my tyres/ tubes?????

cheers :)

Fatter tires that your frame will accept and more air pressure.