• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
According the coach of the the Italian U23 NT Marino Amadori Fabbro and Conci would probably be the best Italian stage racers who are entering the race, but because of their injuries their form is a bit of a question mark.
Speaking of young Italians, is there a reason why Colpack didn't bring Carboni to the race?
He hasn't raced since the start of April, so he might be ill or injured.

Re:

Samamba said:
Definitely a very strong field in GiroU23

***Costa, Hindley
**Sivakov, Storer, Narvaez
*Padun, Knox, Hamilton, Powless, Riabushenko, Cherkasov, other names i'm not thinking off.

I'm not good at rating the Columbians vs. the guys above, but they will be there too (Martinez, Chavez, Munoz?)

Three out of your five best rated riders are not even racing this race (Costa, Storer and Narvaez). ;)

I'll go with Sivakov, but I expect some fireworks from Colpack as well (Sobrero, Fedeli, Negrente). Colombians are the dark horses, they may suck or dominate this race in the mountains. Some outsiders to watch for: Fabbro, Tagliani, Maas, Davies... sprints should be dominated by Galdoune, Lonardi, Welten, Kulikovskiy.

Re: Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley
*Padun, Knox, Hamilton, Powless, Riabushenko, Cherkasov, other names i'm not thinking off.

I'm not good at rating the Columbians vs. the guys above, but they will be there too (Martinez, Chavez, Munoz?)

Three out of your five best rated riders are not even racing this race (Costa, Storer and Narvaez). ;)

I'll go with Sivakov, but I expect some fireworks from Colpack as well (Sobrero, Fedeli, Negrente). Colombians are the dark horses, they may suck or dominate this race in the mountains. Some outsiders to watch for: Fabbro, Tagliani, Maas, Davies... sprints should be dominated by Galdoune, Lonardi, Welten, Kulikovskiy.

So they all decided to not participate while they were scheduled to start? Weird.

Samamba said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley

So they all decided to not participate while they were scheduled to start? Weird.

Storer is ill, Narvaez is injured, dont know about Costa

18920407_1853054301628979_8388194421585902152_n.jpg

Re:

Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley

Based on the provisional startlist for the Tour de Savoie, they're really hurting due to GiroU23 being on the same date. This years field weak af compared to last years field and the Giro's field.

***Lambrecht, Bouet, Kvasina
**Vanhoucke, Cras, Rochas, Hardy
*Sosa, Lafay, Torres, Papillon, Defaye, Castellarneau, Eibegger

Tbh, I don't know a lot of names on the startlist and I have difficulties rating the older (ex-)pros vs. the young guns.
The Colombian(!) national team is nothing too special. Sergio Martinez, Cristian Muñoz and German Chaves were the 1, 2 and 3 of the past Vuelta de la Juventud - in that order. But to be honest, none of them even remotely qualifies to be the next Nairo or Superman Lopez. Far from it. Alvaro Hodeg specifically isn't much too write home about - although he beat Weimar Roldan earlier to win a stage in Valle del Cauca. That applies for basically the entire Colombian U23 peloton, with a few exceptions like Adrian Bustamante, but he's too young to already come over.

Wilmar Paredes however is making some nice steps this year with Manzana, being close to actually winning some races. Jhon Rodriguez is yet to show he's worthy of his verbal agreement with Quick Step for next season.

DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley

Based on the provisional startlist for the Tour de Savoie, they're really hurting due to GiroU23 being on the same date. This years field weak af compared to last years field and the Giro's field.

Tbh, I don't know a lot of names on the startlist and I have difficulties rating the older (ex-)pros vs. the young guns.
The Colombian(!) national team is nothing too special. Sergio Martinez, Cristian Muñoz and German Chaves were the 1, 2 and 3 of the past Vuelta de la Juventud - in that order. But to be honest, none of them even remotely qualifies to be the next Nairo or Superman Lopez. Far from it. Alvaro Hodeg specifically isn't much too write home about - although he beat Weimar Roldan earlier to win a stage in Valle del Cauca. That applies for basically the entire Colombian U23 peloton, with a few exceptions like Adrian Bustamante, but he's too young to already come over.

Wilmar Paredes however is making some nice steps this year with Manzana, being close to actually winning some races. Jhon Rodriguez is yet to show he's worthy of his verbal agreement with Quick Step for next season.

Hodeg has been doing pretty well in Colombia imo this year with a few wins. He is a sprinter so the level in Colombia in that regard is not comparable to Europe ofc, but he is a good addition to the squad I think also to help on the flat. But I do agree this isnt the best u23 generation Colombia had in a while. Both Javier Montoya and Julian Cardona who were the best in the junior ranks havent had a big impact in u23 (yet). I agree that Bustamante currently looks best also want to add Alejandro Osorio though, he could have a good future as well.

Ruudz0r said:
DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley

Hodeg has been doing pretty well in Colombia imo this year with a few wins. He is a sprinter so the level in Colombia in that regard is not comparable to Europe ofc, but he is a good addition to the squad I think also to help on the flat. But I do agree this isnt the best u23 generation Colombia had in a while. Both Javier Montoya and Julian Cardona who were the best in the junior ranks havent had a big impact in u23 (yet). I agree that Bustamante currently looks best also want to add Alejandro Osorio though, he could have a good future as well.
Agreed on most parts. I think we'll have to wait a few more years until we get something special once more from the Colombian circuit (this is excluding 'European' talent such as Bernal, Jhojan Garcia and others). I'm intrigued to follow Bustamantes progress, as well as Orosio, Camillo Castro, Yeison Casallas e.g.

DNP-Old said:
Ruudz0r said:
DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:

***Costa, Hindley

Agreed on most parts. I think we'll have to wait a few more years until we get something special once more from the Colombian circuit (this is excluding 'European' talent such as Bernal, Jhojan Garcia and others). I'm intrigued to follow Bustamantes progress, as well as Orosio, Camillo Castro, Yeison Casallas e.g.

Yes Casallas and Castro look promising indeed (bit of u19 talk in the u23 topic should be okay right?), I saw they joined a new team with almost all the strong current U19 Colombians (guys like Roosbelth Rojas, Ortiz, and who I also think is very interestering Guerrero (again a non climber so have to see how he does in Europe). The team is led by Oscar de Jesus Vargas (former Vuelta stage winner + 3rd GC + and DS at Manzana + 4-72 U19) and Carlos Restrepo who has worked in the USA before. It's pretty amazing the team they managed to assemble and I think it would be great if a team like this could have some oppertunities. I guess that is false hope though as they probably cannot afford this, but maybe in the future, at least a great start to this new team.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Anybody knows why Adrien Costa is not riding? I know he left the team for PanAm games in stead of racing with the team and the team wasnt happy about that. Did he quit the team for good?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
This stage was made for him. But he'll struggle in the bigger mountains.
Maybe against the really strong climbers, but I'm not that sure.
Last year he won Bassano - Monte Grappa, a one day race that finishes on Monte Grappa 58 seconds ahead of Fabbro, so it's nott like he can't climb when he's on and the route isn't crazy hard.
Edit: Apparently his idol is Valverde and he wants to turn pro next year, he's already talking with a WT team.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Jasper Philipsen wins th sprint stage of the Giro d'Italia Under 23.
showimg.php

1 Philipsen Jasper (BMC Development Team)
2 JakobsenFabio (SEG Racing Academy)
3 Riabushenko Alexandr (Team Palazzago Amarù)
4 Tivani German Nicolas (Unieuro Trevigiani - Hemus 1896)
5 Chokri El Mehdi (Dimension Data for Qhubeka)
6 Burchio Federico (Hopplà Petroli Firenze)
7 Radice Raffaele (Delio Gallina Colosio)
8 Colonna Yuri (Altopack Eppelà)
9 Moschetti Matteo (Viris Maserati)
10 Tagliani Filippo (Delio Gallina Colosio)

The bad thing is that there was a big crash with 2km to go, aparently Hamilton and Fabbro had to abandon the race.
Source:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2017/06/12/102156/giro-u23-gabicce-mare-la-stoccata-di-pedersen

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Jasper Philipsen wins th sprint stage of the Giro d'Italia Under 23.
showimg.php

1 Philipsen Jasper (BMC Development Team)
2 JakobsenFabio (SEG Racing Academy)
3 Riabushenko Alexandr (Team Palazzago Amarù)
4 Tivani German Nicolas (Unieuro Trevigiani - Hemus 1896)
5 Chokri El Mehdi (Dimension Data for Qhubeka)
6 Burchio Federico (Hopplà Petroli Firenze)
7 Radice Raffaele (Delio Gallina Colosio)
8 Colonna Yuri (Altopack Eppelà)
9 Moschetti Matteo (Viris Maserati)
10 Tagliani Filippo (Delio Gallina Colosio)

The bad thing is that there was a big crash with 2km to go, aparently Hamilton and Fabbro had to abandon the race.
Source:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2017/06/12/102156/giro-u23-gabicce-mare-la-stoccata-di-pedersen

No doubt in my mind that Philipsen will be great one day. He's so impressive.
And yes, Hamilton & Fabbro crashed pretty hard, but they did finish. Fabbro was last and will indeed abandon due to a collarbone fracture. I don't know about Hamilton.

On another note, Bernal decided to ride the Tour de Savoie so that changes the whole race. It will be interesting to see what the Belgians (altough Lambrecht said he's not going full and will target Aosta) can do against the guy who's seen as the biggest climbing talent in his age category.

TRENDING THREADS