• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
DNP-Old said:
Adrien Costa change of schedule, proceeded by DNS in Palio del Recioto, DNS in US Nationals TT, DNS in US Nationals RR, DNS in US Nationals TT U23. Is he even going to ride l'Avenir at this point? Also very odd that Axeon isn't communicating a thing.

Something major happened at AXEON.

My guess is that he will sign as a stagiaire with some PRO team in August. Until then, it seems like he is banned by his team.

JMHO

It's really weird. If it really is a falling out with the team, he may still be at Avenir as it's for national teams, but no matter how talented the kid is, he's hardly likely to be competitive with no racing. If it's a medical issue, it's impossible to predict a return date without knowing what's up.

The most important bit of Axeon's season, Utah followed by Colorado, is coming up soon. Does anyone know which riders are scheduled to go? In theory, I'd expect their A selection, Costa, Dunbar, Powless, Narvaez etc, but perhaps not.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Jancouver said:
DNP-Old said:
Adrien Costa change of schedule, proceeded by DNS in Palio del Recioto, DNS in US Nationals TT, DNS in US Nationals RR, DNS in US Nationals TT U23. Is he even going to ride l'Avenir at this point? Also very odd that Axeon isn't communicating a thing.

Something major happened at AXEON.

My guess is that he will sign as a stagiaire with some PRO team in August. Until then, it seems like he is banned by his team.

JMHO

It's really weird. If it really is a falling out with the team, he may still be at Avenir as it's for national teams, but no matter how talented the kid is, he's hardly likely to be competitive with no racing. If it's a medical issue, it's impossible to predict a return date without knowing what's up.

The most important bit of Axeon's season, Utah followed by Colorado, is coming up soon. Does anyone know which riders are scheduled to go? In theory, I'd expect their A selection, Costa, Dunbar, Powless, Narvaez etc, but perhaps not.
The thing is, they rode with national teams in Bretagne in April and he still wasn't there.

Re:

Samamba said:
Carboni wins the first mountain stage, wow. Italians on fire!

Some surprising names in the top 10!

Carboni
Lambrecht
Storer
Sivakov
Brkic
Zaccanti
Inkelaar
Cras
Eg
Hircshi

GC:
1. Carboni
2. Sivakov 1"
3. Lambrecht 3"

I guess Sivakov and Cras will be stagaires with BMC from August?

BalearicBeats said:
Samamba said:

Carboni
Lambrecht
Storer
Sivakov
Brkic
Zaccanti
Inkelaar
Cras
Eg
Hircshi

GC:
1. Carboni
2. Sivakov 1"
3. Lambrecht 3"

Don't think so.
Sivakov will probably be pro next year though. Don't know about Cras.

Sivakov is in a good position to win Valle d'Aosta (insane season he's having). Looks like he or Carboni will win it. They took time on the other favorites today. Vanhoucke won the stage.

I hate to insinuate things and it's definitely not the right subforum to do so, but this whole Costa thing is odd. You don't just take a break from out of nowhere. What makes it even more odd is Axeon's behaviour, keeping their mouths shut for three months. He is taking a break from cycling, but yet he has all the time in the world to ride his bike all over France. :confused:

Something stinks here. It has to be more than just taking a break because I feel like doing so.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
I hate to insinuate things and it's definitely not the right subforum to do so, but this whole Costa thing is odd. You don't just take a break from out of nowhere. What makes it even more odd is Axeon's behaviour, keeping their mouths shut for three months. He is taking a break from cycling, but yet he has all the time in the world to ride his bike all over France. :confused:

Something stinks here. It has to be more than just taking a break because I feel like doing so.
One of their riders died in competition this year. It could be that there was some tension and when something as affecting as that happened, who knows...

BalearicBeats said:
Samamba said:

Carboni
Lambrecht
Storer
Sivakov
Brkic
Zaccanti
Inkelaar
Cras
Eg
Hircshi

GC:
1. Carboni
2. Sivakov 1"
3. Lambrecht 3"

I believe Cras is at Lotto.

Sivakov certainly surprises me. I thought the high mountans will be too tough for him and he'll be a hilly calssics rider but Aosta nd the Baby Giro has shown that he can clim with the best.

Very versatile rider!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

the asian said:
BalearicBeats said:
Samamba said:

Carboni
Lambrecht
Storer
Sivakov
Brkic
Zaccanti
Inkelaar
Cras
Eg
Hircshi

GC:
1. Carboni
2. Sivakov 1"
3. Lambrecht 3"

I believe Cras is at Lotto.

Sivakov certainly surprises me. I thought the high mountans will be too tough for him and he'll be a hilly calssics rider but Aosta nd the Baby Giro has shown that he can clim with the best.

Very versatile rider!
You could probably say the same about Carboni, I always viewed him as an allrrounder who was great on all sorts of terrain.
About the Adrian Costa thing, so many of the young riders that ride for Axel are monsters that are able to go toe to toe with the pros inthe bigger US stage race before turning 20, but once they turn pro they arent able to take it to the next level.
I fear that many of them already train super hard and like the pros at a young age and once they are in their early 20ies they pretty much stop improving.

Champremier today, very underrated climb.

The young Belgians look great it must be said, having been among the best everywhere they've gone, including the Italian and Spanish amateur scenes, such as Lambrecht's successes in Savoie, Course de la Paix etc. and Vanhoucke winning the Vuelta a Navarra and here in Aosta. Cras and Jimmy Janssens both look strong as well, but not instant hits the way Lambrecht and Vanhoucke appear.

I do wish that the Spanish teams focused more on their trips abroad like this, apart from Jaime Castrillo they've been anonymous at best. I know it's out of sync with their season goals, but still disappointing to see people like Fernando Barcelo, who was outclimbing the likes of Óscar Sevilla and coming 3rd behind Nairo Quintana and Nuclear Alarcón in Asturias in his first race against pros in April, so completely irrelevant here on terrain that ought to be good for him. I also wish Mark Padun was here, he animated last year a lot and I have plenty of time for him.

perico said:
DNP-Old said:

One of their riders died in competition this year. It could be that there was some tension and when something as affecting as that happened, who knows...

Considering that he hasn't been racing since Young's terrible accident...
Also, to DNP-Old, it's not that unusual to still want to ride your bike, but not have the motivation to race. Just look at what Morton did.

perico said:
DNP-Old said:

Could be an explanation, but Costa was already DNF'ing, DNS'ing and ''not showing up'' for races prior to Chad Young's crash. If that had anything to do with injury and/or sickness, surely Axeon would have communicated something. Instead, there was radio silence for months.

BMC attacked in the descent of the Champremier and is now in front with 4 of their own and only Carboni following. Is gonna be incredibly hard for Carboni with both Sivakov and Cras being there.

EDIT: Now Sivakov solo and 35km left, this guy is incredible! Strongest steam but also strongest rider in the race.
EDIT2: he's just crushing his rivals, 1'30 advantage!

So Sivakov won and will win the GC without bad luck. Crazy season he's having after winning Isard and the Giro, never seen before? Don't think he'll be able to win Avenir with Bernal targeting the win there, but he won't be far off. Lambrecht rode a really good race too. He (together with Storer) was already 50" behind Sivakov after the Champremier climb (I think BMC attacked in the descent). He was able to catch everyone but Sivakov, who was too strong.

Huge gaps!

8y6rsi.png

Re:

Samamba said:
Don't think he'll be able to win Avenir with Bernal targeting the win there, but he won't be far off.

Why? Sivakov has a way better season than Bernal. I think the main favourite is the russian. Then later, Bernal, Lambrecht, the australians, maybe Padun, maybe any professional from WT...

Cordi333 said:
Samamba said:
Don't think he'll be able to win Avenir with Bernal targeting the win there, but he won't be far off.

Why? Sivakov has a way better season than Bernal. I think the main favourite is the russian. Then later, Bernal, Lambrecht, the australians, maybe Padun, maybe any professional from WT...

Naa, Bernal is the better climber imo. No TT so if Bernal has the form he should be able to win it.

"Way better season"
Based on what? Bernal isn't racing a normal u23 year, so it's hard to compare.

TRENDING THREADS