• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
often happens with big and strong built riders.

Like in the Netherlands we had the same with guys like Barry Markus or in the very past Hans Dekkers. Sprinter types, won a lot, but absolutely sucked at Pro level

Wasn't this called Rabobank Continental? ;)

http://teamgiantcastelli.dk/rytter-07/

Bjerg looks like he will soon join Sky. ;) The guy was 2nd last year in the Junior Worlds. Oh...and the better dane is still to come. ;)
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Sky
;)

RedheadDane said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:
Scandinavian riders should be banned from U23 racing. This is laughable.

why?
Because year in, year out we see all these laughable Danish and Norwegian riders destroy everything everywhere and then proceed to do absolutely remotely nothing in the professional level. I thought we had hit rock bottom, but this Bjerg guy absolutely takes the cake.

Yeah, they peak early, and normally don't get better, but riders like cort and kragh seem to have broken the trend.

From how I understand it DCU has been working hard with making sure the young guys become professional in a "smarter" way - for lack of better words - than what perhaps happened earlier.
Take an example like Lander; surprisingly won the NC, got a contract with BMC shortly after that, then... well...
Guldhammer is another example.
Otoh we have a guy like Cort, who was offered a contract after his first breakthrough at the Tour of Denmark, but chose to stay at home for a year more.

(BTW, assuming you're talking about Søren up there. Asbjørn hasn't really had much success...)

yeah understand it the same way. Of course i was talking about Søren, but i do hope Asbjørn lives up to his potential soon

Bjerg smashed it. Really a dominant performance.

1 Mikkel Bjerg (DEN) Team Giant - Castelli 47:06 (47.380 km/h)
2 Brandon McNulty (USA) Rally Cycling 1:06
3 Corentin Ermenault (FRA) Team Wiggins 1:17
4 Tom Wirtgen (LUX) Leopard Pro Cycling 1:18
5 Callum Scotson (AUS) BMC Development Team 1:21
6 Senne Leysen (BEL) Lotto-Soudal U23 1:22
7 Kasper Asgreen (DEN) Team Virtu Cycling 1:31
8 Edoardo Affini (ITA) SEG Racing Academy 1:35
9 Neilson Powless (USA) Axeon Hagens Berman 1:37
10 Scott Davies (GBR) Team Wiggins 1:43

1996: 1 Luca Sironi (ITA); 2 Roberto Sgambelluri (ITA); 3 Andreas Klöden (GER)
1997: 1 Fabio Malberti (ITA); 2 László Bodrogi (HUN); 3 David George (RSA)
1998: 1 Thor Hushovd (NOR); 2 Frédéric Finot (FRA); 3 Gian-Mario Ortenzi (ITA)
1999: 1 Iván Gutiérrez (ESP); 2 Michael Rogers (AUS); 3 Evgeni Petrov (RUS)
2000: 1 Evgeni Petrov (RUS); 2 Fabian Cancellara (SUI); 3 Michael Rogers (AUS)
2001: 1 Danny Pate (USA); 2 Sebastian Lang (GER); 3 James Perry (RSA)
2002: 1 Tomas Vaitkus (LTU); 2 Alexandre Bespalov (RUS); 3 Sérgio Paulinho (POR)
2003: 1 Markus Fothen (GER); 2 Niels Scheuneman (NED); 3 Alexandre Bespalov (RUS)
2004: 1 Janez Brajkovič (SLO); 2 Thomas Dekker (NED); 3 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA)
2005: 1 Mikhail Ignatiev (RUS); 2 Dmitry Grabovskiy (UKR); 3 Peter Latham (NZL)
2006: 1 Dominique Cornu (BEL); 2 Mikhail Ignatiev (RUS); 3 Jérôme Coppel (FRA)
2007: 1 Lars Boom (NED); 2 Mikhail Ignatiev (RUS); 3 Jérôme Coppel (FRA)
2008: 1 Adriano Malori (ITA); 2 Patrick Gretsch (GER); 3 Cameron Meyer (AUS)
2009: 1 Jack Bobridge (AUS); 2 Nélson Oliveira (POR); 3 Patrick Gretsch (GER)
2010: 1 Taylor Phinney (USA); 2 Luke Durbridge (AUS); 3 Marcel Kittel (GER)
2011: 1 Luke Durbridge (AUS); 2 Rasmus Quaade (DEN); 3 Michael Hepburn (AUS)
2012: 1 Anton Vorobyev (RUS); 2 Rohan Dennis (AUS); 3 Damien Howson (AUS)
2013: 1 Damien Howson (AUS); 2 Yoann Paillot (FRA); 3 Lasse Norman Hansen (DEN)
2014: 1 Campbell Flakemore (AUS); 2 Ryan Mullen (IRL); 3 Stefan Küng (SUI)
2015: 1 Mads Würtz Schmidt (DEN); 2 Maximilian Schachmann (GER); 3 Lennard Kämna (GER)
2016: 1 Marco Mathis (GER); 2 Maximilian Schachmann (GER); 3 Miles Scotson (AUS)

2017 Bergen
6G5oyS.jpg

Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Fabian Cancellara and Tony Martin never won the U23 world champs. Says a lot about this championship really.
Yeah but some very decent riders have. Malori at his peak was the best in the world at short time trials. Dennis has come second, so has Dekker.

Podium on the U23 TT worlds indicates quite reliably that the rider will be a decent to excellent pro. It doesn't really say very much beyond that. An excellent U23 TTist can end up as an elite TTist or a competent but mostly invisible domestique or for that matter a sprinter.

DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:

why?
Because year in, year out we see all these laughable Danish and Norwegian riders destroy everything everywhere and then proceed to do absolutely remotely nothing in the professional level. I thought we had hit rock bottom, but this Bjerg guy absolutely takes the cake.

These opinions are idiotic. Name names, be specific about reasons, explain or STFU. The danish federation has no money and goes to four or five stage races each year. Bjerg rides for a team that has to ask for volunteers as drivers and soigneurs when they go to race some small race in France. He has hardly raced in other countries all year. Yet the result today is supposed to be cause of weird somehow unknown and unavailable to other nations training methods. That could be the reason if no one anywhere cares about world championships I guess.

On the other hand could be a product of a scene with many u23s, more than GBR or AUS I think, where cycling is a very big sport with a long history, that continue to turn out legitimately talented cyclists, in a country not bigger geographically than the best from each generation can battle every week during the season.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

ciranda said:
DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:

why?

These opinions are idiotic. Name names, be specific about reasons, explain or STFU. The danish federation has no money and goes to four or five stage races each year. Bjerg rides for a team that has to ask for volunteers as drivers and soigneurs when they go to race some small race in France. He has hardly raced in other countries all year. Yet the result today is supposed to be cause of weird somehow unknown and unavailable to other nations training methods. That could be the reason if no one anywhere cares about world championships I guess.

On the other hand could be a product of a scene with many u23s, more than GBR or AUS I think, where cycling is a very big sport with a long history, that continue to turn out legitimately talented cyclists, in a country not bigger geographically than the best from each generation can battle every week during the season.

Dont feed the Trolls plz!.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
I've one case to disprove your stupid opinion: Thor Hushovd
Lmao, you really think one case outweighs the rest? I'll name you some, in the first three places of the world championships alone: Mads Wurtz Schmidt, Lasse Norman Hansen, Rasmus Quaade (he takes the absolute cake), Mathias Krigbaum, Oksar Svendsen, Kristoffer Skjerping, Sven Erik Bystrom, Sondre Holst Enger, Mads Christensen, Sebastian Lander, Niki Ostergaard, Anders Lund. Judge is still up for some riders like Halvorsen, he's going on nicely being Mr. DNF, and the few times he finishes a race, he's usually all the way down the list.

The one guy who doesn't make the list is Kristoff, and he was also the one who wasn't great as a junior or espoir.

Monte said:
ciranda said:
DNP-Old said:
Frankschleck said:
DNP-Old said:

why?

Dont feed the Trolls plz!.
Different opinion = troll. Duly noted.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

Trolls have the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,often for the troll's amusement..

BOth Thor Hushovd, Kurt Asle Arvesen and Boasson Hagen was top U23 Riders .. As was Sven Erik Bystrøm and he is a successful millionaire doing what he loves, ur just plain wrong. ANd stupid.

TRENDING THREADS