• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Isnt that just a change of name for Tom Pidcock's CX team?

Yes. But Trinity Sports Management have effectively been running Wiggins team for a while now, brokering the latest sponsorship deals. The suggestion is that the team closure is a way of removing Wiggins from the setup. The new team would be a showcase for riders signed with Trinity, much like SEG, or Pidcock's CX team.

Let's hope something happens as they've been really successful so far this year. Maybe INEOS will get fed with missing out on young British riders, and set up a development team

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
I know it probably works well with his workload to be able to do cross, while at such a young age. But what does Pidcock has left to achieve in the u23 ranks. possibly l'Avenir again? Is it just holding him back - why not join the pro ranks, have a smaller work load but do an Evenepoel and do lower 2.1, 2.HC races, to bridge the gap.
I suppose the GB team would mean Yorkshire, London-Surrey and Tour of Britain which is good, but then doing Roubaix espoirs and other nations cup, etc again. I just don't see the point.

I know it probably works well with his workload to be able to do cross, while at such a young age. But what does Pidcock has left to achieve in the u23 ranks. possibly l'Avenir again? Is it just holding him back - why not join the pro ranks, have a smaller work load but do an Evenepoel and do lower 2.1, 2.HC races, to bridge the gap.
I suppose the GB team would mean Yorkshire, London-Surrey and Tour of Britain which is good, but then doing Roubaix espoirs and other nations cup, etc again. I just don't see the point.
He's 2 years too old to "do an Evenepoel".
Evenepoel completely skipped the U23's, turning pro at the age of 18. Pidcock has been an U23 for two years now. Whether he has something to learn in the U23, i think he does, given the fact that he only recently found out he can climb. I think he might benefit from going toe to toe with the best U23 climbers, to get a better frame of reference, compared to joining the pros and not really knowing where he stands in that regard.

Van Wilder considering joining the pros, halfway next year.

69244248_10217295349889971_7105315765305212928_n.jpg

He's 2 years too old to "do an Evenepoel".
Evenepoel completely skipped the U23's, turning pro at the age of 18. Pidcock has been an U23 for two years now. Whether he has something to learn in the U23, i think he does, given the fact that he only recently found out he can climb. I think he might benefit from going toe to toe with the best U23 climbers, to get a better frame of reference, compared to joining the pros and not really knowing where he stands in that regard.

Yes I know, it was more related to his workload and type of races he was planned to do, (before san sebastian happened)

Yes I know, it was more related to his workload and type of races he was planned to do, (before san sebastian happened)
I see. As for Pidcock, he could turn pro and still ride l'Avenir, if he wants. It is one of the only races you can ride in the U23 as a pro. He could also chose to ride some other races next year (Aosta, Course de la Paix...) and turn pro in August. A lot of the Lotto guys do it that way (Van Moer, Vanhoucke, maybe Van Wilder (see above)).

Reactions: Strawberry_Jams
Yeah I suppose there are a lot of other races he hasn't done, than I thought when I initially posted. The Tour Alsace rider would certainly convince me to ride to u23 stage races. Which all seem to be weighted towards the climbers. I think over the long term I'd like to see him go down the classic, ardennes route. He has the sprint to fall back on in those races which I think would see him be successful. Once he's won the world cx first though (when van der poel, van aert move away fully)