• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That just happens if you are riding in the shadow of Remco....
And anyway; at 17-18, predicting future results is just very difficult. You have no idea where a rider is in his performance curve , how much roon for improvement do you have at a certain age . And at the same time it is possible Henri will not improve anymore and never be a decent pro rider. So let's hope his environment made sure there is still room for improvement.

Reactions: Sandisfan
After his exploits at the Giro Gloag is in the top 12 and finished a position behind Irishman Ryan and infront of other British Leo Hayter.

Interesting fact about Gloag and Hayter (younger brother of team Ineos rider Ethan) is just over a year ago they were teammates from VC Londres at the Junior Tour of Wales where Gloag got the better of both Hayter and Ryan.

Rune Herregodts just manages to stay away to the line and wins Paris-Tours U23 in front of the approaching field lead by Jordi Meeus. Must have been really close.
Went in the attack from the start, got rid of his companions with 55 km to go and finished after 178 km with a few seconds on the peloton. He only had 30 seconds left with 10 km to go, and the European champion Hvideberg came close with a counterattack but couldn't bridge.

Impressive!

Mark Donovan had an impressive Vuelta, not that much older than that Belgium talent, and injured most of last season
He did well, but i found Arensman to be the better Sunweb performer (although it's close, Arensman was really in contention for a stagewin in the final 1k on two occasions). He's only a month and a half older than Evenepoel btw, Donovan 10 months. Also, probably best to keep this topic about U23 riders and races. I made a topic to discuss young riders (and others without a dedicated topic), in case you're interested. https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threa...heir-own-thread-yet.35404/page-4#post-2507740

Yeah, Ayuso seems to be on a different level compared to his opponents. The last guy who won the Trofeo Piva and the Giro del Belvedere during the same year was Popovych (who was seen as the 2nd coming of Eddie in the u23 ranks) in 2001.

I'm impressed by Colnaghi, the Trofeo Piva is a race with pretty much nothing but hills and he managed to finish 2nd. Based on his results in the u23 ranks I've always seen him as a sprinter, but he seems to be more than just a pure sprinter. I know that he did some really long rides rather crazy things during the pandemic break, like an Everesting attempt or a 12H ride on Zwift (the later is borderline psychotic).

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS