• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt definitely faded a lot. They came in 2nd and 3rd around 5 minutes back. Then Thompson, Martinez and Lecerf (impressive!!!) 6 minutes back. The 30 seconds later Onley and Wilksch from DSM. So Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt lost some time on the others the last 20k, must've gone over their limit on the Guspessa, Hayter didn't and is a really good rouleur.

FDJ 2nd, 4th and 5th. But 5 minutes behind Hayter.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I expected Hayter to win at least a stage and to be at a very good level, maybe battling for a top 10 in GC, but as @Mayomaniac said, this was unexpected, I thought he had other characteristics as a rider (more like a one day racer and not a "tappone" guy) and also the gaps are mind-boggling

Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt definitely faded a lot. They came in 2nd and 3rd around 5 minutes back. Then Thompson, Martinez and Lecerf (impressive!!!) 6 minutes back. The 30 seconds later Onley and Wilksch from DSM. So Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt lost some time on the others the last 20k, says something.

The stage length and altitude gain probably had something to do with them blowing up, this kind of stage length and altitude gain is pretty unusual. One also shouldn't forget that despite their ability Martinez and Gregoire are first year u23 riders, so it's probably even more unusual for them (despite Lenny already riding the TotA with the pro team).

The stage length and altitude gain probably had something to do with them blowing up, this kind of stage length and altitude gain is pretty unusual. One also shouldn't forget that despite their ability Martinez and Gregoire are first year u23 riders, so it's probably even more unusual for them (despite Lenny already riding the TotA with the pro team).

Ofcourse, I don't even see Gregoire as a pure climber, Neither is Van Eetvelt btw (helps that he "already" is 20y old). The thing is that Hayter also isn't one. The gaps are somewhat normal behind him. 7 riders within 1'30. But then there is the gap between Hayter and Gregoire...

Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt definitely faded a lot. They came in 2nd and 3rd around 5 minutes back. Then Thompson, Martinez and Lecerf (impressive!!!) 6 minutes back. The 30 seconds later Onley and Wilksch from DSM. So Martinez, Gregoire and Van Eetvelt lost some time on the others the last 20k, must've gone over their limit on the Guspessa, Hayter didn't and is a really good rouleur.

Lecerf... finally. I've been tweeting about this kid 3 years ago.

Full results are in

Fight for the podium is still completely open I would say. You can clearly see that Everyone out of the top 6 on the Mortirolo but Hayter kind of collapsed a bit. Martinez losing 8 minutes after, Ciuccarelli 14 minutes in the last 20k!!! Clynhens 7'30. Gregoire and Van Eetvelt also lost a lot of time (3 minutes) on their chasers.
Others paced themselves way better. Thompson and Lecerf were 6 minutes behind with 15k to go and didn't lose any time after that. Martin Lopez wasn't even in top 15 over the Mortirolo but finished 9th,

Full results are in

Fight for the podium is still completely open I would say. You can clearly see that Everyone out of the top 6 on the Mortirolo but Hayter kind of collapsed a bit. Martinez losing 8 minutes after, Ciuccarelli 14 minutes in the last 20k!!! Clynhens 7'30. Gregoire and Van Eetvelt also lost a lot of time (3 minutes) on their chasers.
Others paced themselves way better. Thompson and Lecerf were 6 minutes behind with 15k to go and didn't lose any time after that. Martin Lopez wasn't even in top 15 over the Mortirolo but finished 9th,
I think stage 6 should suit the flyweights better. I think 6 minutes is probably too much to take back on Hayter, but it's not impossible either.

TRENDING THREADS