• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice article covering the selection for the GB squad at l'Avenir:
https://thebritishcontinental.co.uk/2022/08/04/2022-tour-de-lavenir-great-britain-squad-reveal/

Must admit, I don't think it's a good selection and they're catering towards the British Cycling academy too much. While Donaldson is a decent pick, there are many riders who've shown great talent and form this year moreso than Brough and Giddings. Even the likes of Gloag and maybe Hayter have been temperamental this year with the only top consistent one at the moment being Watson.

FdvjBu4XwAEB-cF

Hell of a stage going on right now in l'Isard. I must say, moving it to September has done the race good. FDJ, Trinity and Jumbo put on the afterburners in terrible rainy, windy weather and it exploded the entire race. The peloton is looking at a 10 minute deficit. Lenny, being his 4 foot 10, 30 kg self missed the break, whereas the likes of Reuben, Staune-Mittet and Oliver Rees did not. Also in this race, somewhere far down the road: Jules Jalabert, the son of Laurent. More of a runner than a cyclist, but he's giving it a crack and will devote himself fully to cycling in 2023.

Hell of a stage going on right now in l'Isard. I must say, moving it to September has done the race good. FDJ, Trinity and Jumbo put on the afterburners in terrible rainy, windy weather and it exploded the entire race. The peloton is looking at a 10 minute deficit. Lenny, being his 4 foot 10, 30 kg self missed the break, whereas the likes of Reuben, Staune-Mittet and Oliver Rees did not. Also in this race, somewhere far down the road: Jules Jalabert, the son of Laurent. More of a runner than a cyclist, but he's giving it a crack and will devote himself fully to cycling in 2023.

I can't seem to find him on any start lists...

(And did Lenny shrink?)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Aha the typical u23 rainy flat stage. Complete carnage and some favorites already 10 minutes behind in GC. I guess Staune Mittet has GC in the bag already then.

A 1-2 for the Jumbo semi-pros.

EDIT: Staune MIttet won cause Van Belle crashed in the last km apparently so no 1-2.

Yeah looks like Staune Mittet did indeed have GC in the bag after stage 1. Judging by the queen stage today, mini-jumbo had the two strongest riders in current form anyway. His teammate Ryan won the stage solo with Staune Mittet clear in 2nd. 6th place was more that 2 mins down. Semi-pros is exactly right.

I think in the Avenir thread @pablohidalgo7 said that it’s hard to separate Staune Mittet and Ryan as climbers, but that Staune Mittet has shown more all round GC ability so far. At least at this race, that’s proving prophetic with Ryan missing the cut in the wet and wild first stage.

I don’t think either of these guys belong at espoir level next year, but they are both supposedly continuing at JV development. Staune Mittet has some long term contract with big boy Jumbo after that but Ryan looks like maybe the most obvious poaching target for some other WT team.

Presumably Martinez was doing domestique work for Reuben Thompson, as even in bad form he wouldn’t normally ship another 10 mins plus on an espoir climbers stage. And he did beat both JV kids on the previous stage.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with an U23 pro racing in his age category in Worlds but there's no sense for a full pro already during two seasons to drop to the development team to race a one-off .2U race with several local amateurs.
I get that they wanted to give him a chance to actually ride in the jersey and the race organizers probably also like it, but yes, it's rather absurd.

It's not like there's not a real significant distance from the development teams to the regular club style teams anyway. This Piccolo Giro di Lombardia was less so because none of all the gbrausnzl inflicted teams incl FDJ were there but still riders from the big teams' development teams were a level above. It's the same in every under 23 stage race with top tens overall and stage win exclusively for the devo teams and the richest under teams like Trinity, Hagens Axeon, Bridgelane, Tirol KTM on some occasions.

Under 23 cycling is basically now a ENS/Ivy League system. For a young cyclist with ambition to go professional the most important move is to get into a world tour development team, the rest should go smoothly unless this cyclist is really untalented and/or lazy.

Mathys Rondel by far the biggest revelation in l'Isard. He's only been in the cycling game for two years, as his primary sport has been roller skating, and these past few days in l'Isard were the first mountain stages he had ever done in his life. Nonetheless, he was competing with the big boys every day, and mythical Lenny couldn't drop him on Port-de-Lers and Col-de-Latrape despite attacking numerous times. One to follow for next year.

Last edited:
I don’t think either of these guys belong at espoir level next year, but they are both supposedly continuing at JV development. Staune Mittet has some long term contract with big boy Jumbo after that but Ryan looks like maybe the most obvious poaching target for some other WT team.

Apparently, according to WF, Trek and DSM were interested to take him for 2023 but little Archie decided to chase his dream of becoming the next Sepp Kuss. Maybe Jumbo has doubts because of his knee injury issues, though, but I would like to see them sign him for the WT squad.

• Wow
Apparently, according to WF, Trek and DSM were interested to take him for 2023 but little Archie decided to chase his dream of becoming the next Sepp Kuss. Maybe Jumbo has doubts because of his knee injury issues, though, but I would like to see them sign him for the WT squad.

I can see why a young talent might choose to stay at jumbo development rather than go to DSM - at this point every rider should be aware that you have to fit their approach if you are going to sign there. But to be honest I can’t really see a good reason not to go to Trek, assuming they have a plan to develop him sensibly.

TRENDING THREADS