• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I being too harsh or are UAE’s DS a total joke?

After all that mess in Catalunia today they were basically offered the Mountain jersey but somehow the DS decided to “decline” it…
(Formolo not being told that the three points on the Urkaregi climb would guarantee him the climber’s jersey is beyond my comprehension….)

Am I being too harsh or are UAE’s DS a total joke?

After all that mess in Catalunia today they were basically offered the Mountain jersey but somehow the DS decided to “decline” it…
(Formolo not being told that the three points on the Urkaregi climb would guarantee him the climber’s jersey is beyond my comprehension….)
I feel the same way. I have no idea what they're doing. :joycat::eek:

The Vuelta could be very difficult to manage by the DS, Pogačar will be the leader if he does indeed ride it but Almeida will surely want to be a protected rider after what happened to him in the Giro and people like Soler, Majka or McNulty will probably like to have a bit more freedom than in the Tour. That's why I hope that they don't select Ayuso for this Vuelta as he is young and will have plenty of GT's to ride.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The Vuelta could be very difficult to manage by the DS, Pogačar will be the leader if he does indeed ride it but Almeida will surely want to be a protected rider after what happened to him in the Giro and people like Soler, Majka or McNulty will probably like to have a bit more freedom than in the Tour. That's why I hope that they don't select Ayuso for this Vuelta as he is young and will have plenty of GT's to ride.
They have said no GT for Ayoso this year.

Almeida forced to abandon is masking what a tactical inept team they are. Literally no strategy whatsoever when Pogacar isn't spanking the competition on its own.
As for the Vuelta, I'd tell anyone who isn't Pogacar to suck it up, surely they were aware when they signed their contracts that there's only one focus when the baby faced android is in the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
No problem, ayuso can go as well, they will follow UAE advanced tactics: every man for himself, and ayuso is a fast learner.

"But for now, Pogačar and Almeida will share team leadership without stepping on each other's toes. Neither seem interested or have the temperament for intense, internal rivalries.

“I think there’s enough space in UAE Team Emirates for both of us and indeed for other riders too," Almeida said, looking to the possibility that he and Pogačar could share and swap Grand Tour leadership in the years to come.

“I don’t want to always target the Giro in the years ahead and I’m sure we can find a solution for that. Maybe I can do one and Tadej can do the other. Perhaps we can both do a Grand Tour together, why not?

“I’m sure there’ll always be a good team plan and I’ll always follow that plan. I’m looking forward to racing with Tadej, who wouldn’t be? We can help each other a lot, rather than get in each other's way. I like to work for other riders too and to help them win. That excites me, I’m not just a leader with an ego.”"

Last years interview from the main site. For everyone worried about Almeida not riding for Tadej. I wouldn't worry.

Why does it matter?

The Giro result is terrible, but it's not really the teams fault. Almeida got Covid and was forced to leave. They had the white jersey and 4th (maybe even 3rd) on GC guaranteed.

This is not an EF type of failure.
Concur with this and the lack of support was mainly a matter of legs rather than tactics.
Having teammates in the break was a sensible strategy for a leader like Almeida, who doesn't really need anybody to pace him uphill. If Covi had his best legs he would have probably been there in the rolling final section of Wednesday's stage to help him. But he's not in great shape (as Formolo).

Team should look into their preparation more than their tactics.

PCS has Juan Ayuso to ride le Tour. That most be a mistake! No way he is ready for that.
Maybe I could ride la Vuelta..... But also not ideal ...
His program should be someting like Dauphine, San Sebastian, Burgos, Bretagne, Luxembourg and Lombardia.
PCS tends to have a lot of random mistakes in scheduling. I don't know why, but they might do it to literally get people to talk about them.

I don't even think the Tour is that bad for Ayuso. If he's ready to do a GT, he's ready. And with Pogacar scheduled to do both Tour and Vuelta he wasn't getting a leading role or much of a free role at any rate.

What they should do if Ayuso races the Tour is what Bernal did at the 2018 Tour. Give him no pressure to be near Pog every single day. Just save yer legs for a few critical moment where Pog needs you.

PCS tends to have a lot of random mistakes in scheduling. I don't know why, but they might do it to literally get people to talk about them.

I don't even think the Tour is that bad for Ayuso. If he's ready to do a GT, he's ready. And with Pogacar scheduled to do both Tour and Vuelta he wasn't getting a leading role or much of a free role at any rate.

What they should do if Ayuso races the Tour is what Bernal did at the 2018 Tour. Give him no pressure to be near Pog every single day. Just save yer legs for a few critical moment where Pog needs you.

Make sense. But they don't need him, they have Majka, Bennett, Soler, McNulty. More important to bring some guys there make sure Pogacar don't lose TDF on cobbles and crosswind.

The problem with that is that Ayuso will never ride for Pogacar. not even when he needs to.

Taking him will be useless.

TRENDING THREADS