• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They were both awful world champions, let's be real now. Trying to polish a turd.

At the time of winning, I think Freire was a smaller name than Vainsteins, right? 1999 Freire, that is.

But yeah, you're probably right, I was too young to really have experienced it, it's just that Vainsteins' results actually don't seem that bad in those couple of seasons.

Brochard must also have been quite an underwhelming champion.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Has Foss ever won another TT? I seriously think there must've been issues with the timer at the WC.
Norwegian championships.

He won the WCC by 3 seconds to Küng and 9 seconds to Evenepoel. The circuit was one with a few technical high speed corners. Foss was doing recons on the circuit a week before Küng got there and even longer before Evenepoel. It's obvious Foss won that WCC because he knew the corners better.

• Wow
McNulty
Vine +2
Foss +14
Kepplinger +16
Van Wilder +17
Bilbao +19
Armirail +20
Romeo +21
O Connor +22
Poole +27
Yates +28
Carr +32
Valter +35
Rodriguez +36
Storer +37
Rivera +38
Lemmen +42
Van Eetvelt +43
Quinn +48
Konrad +48
Sanchez +50
Tejada +50
Lopez +52
Vanhoucke +56
Vansevenant +57
Traeen +59
Lopez JP +59
Riccitello +1'02
Buchmann +1'03
Fernandez +1'11
Hirt +1'12
Benett +1'16
Rubio +1'19
Meintjes +1'20
Faure Prost +1'30
Pena 1'36
Elissonde 1'38

McNulty
Vine +2
Foss +14
Kepplinger +16
Van Wilder +17
Bilbao +19
Armirail +20
Romeo +21
O Connor +22
Poole +27
Yates +28
Carr +32
Valter +35
Rodriguez +36
Storer +37
Rivera +38
Lemmen +42
Van Eetvelt +43
Quinn +48
Konrad +48
Sanchez +50
Tejada +50
Lopez +52
Vanhoucke +56
Vansevenant +57
Traeen +59
Lopez JP +59
Riccitello +1'02
Buchmann +1'03
Fernandez +1'11
Hirt +1'12
Benett +1'16
Rubio +1'19
Meintjes +1'20
Faure Prost +1'30
Pena 1'36
Elissonde 1'38
If we take UAE's early season focus on this race into account, and the fact that McNulty likely had the best conditions of the top 10, Van Wilder's result in retrospect looks actually quite good after all. I think he is not in good enough form yet for Jebel Hafeet to take on Yates & co, but i think he has a good chance to win on Jebel Jais tbh. Sprint of a small group, he certainly has a shot.

Reactions: joseph89 and search
If we take UAE's early season focus on this race into account, and the fact that McNulty likely had the best conditions of the top 10, Van Wilder's result in retrospect looks actually quite good after all. I think he is not in good enough form yet for Jebel Hafeet to take on Yates & co, but i think he has a good chance to win on Jebel Jais tbh. Sprint of a small group, he certainly has a shot.

Yeah he's honestly my favorite if it's a sprint tomorrow.

• Wow
"We went out early because we saw that the wind was going to be less damaging at the start and we put our three best guys at the start (they didn't go out in reverse order of the standings, but one rider per team, so they could choose the order ed.)," McNulty explained post-stage.

here's the result with split times:

zJReu5O.png

The riders highlighted started in the 2nd half of the time trial, and the position from 17/20 of those in the 2nd column improved compared to their 1st split time.

So I guess it's fair to say that there was a bit of condition change indeed, but not sure how much of a difference it really made in the end.

Great ride by McKnulty and UAE taking the top three positions. Does this mean UAE have a better TT bike this year? Those wheels look wild? But not sure you could risk using that front wheel with possible strong side winds?

Also a good ride by Ben O'Conner to finish 11th @22'. O'Conner isn't known for having a good TT and also started in the 2nd half of the time trial. Hopefully Ben can hit his potential this season after two mediocre years. He will know more in another week.

Great performance from the UAE riders but curiously the one of their main riders that didn't have a particularly strong TT was Yates so its going to be interesting to see how they will handle the two MTF finishes. Kepplinger with a really good time too.

Foss once again showing that he is nothing more than a good time trialist.

Last edited:
How much of an issue to a rider's recovery is it to be kept on the hot seat for hours? The corollary to that is, how overstated is the importance of warm down riding and post-event massage?
If he was an overall contender it's likely his handlers got him hydrated and he did enough stretching to be all good. He can hop on his trainer for an hour and undo the legs. It's not like he finished a 6 hour stage in the 2nd week of a GT.