• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Uci 2020

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Inrng has posted a UCI Doc which COULD reshape the Racers' future behaviour ?

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1h
Hidden inside the latest UCI technical bulletin is the future shape of pro cycling for 2020 pic.twitter.com/wvOihC6sTT
Embedded image permalink
6:26 PM - 7 Oct 13 · Details

BV_MShtCQAAtxBy.png

fewer race days, fewer top teams and fewer races.

That's not "growing cycling." I'm still not sure why they think this works. Every sport with huge audiences have events running simultaneously, or nearly so.

What it is for everyone except maybe the riders/teams is an opportunity to drive advertising prices up and increase various hidden costs being skimmed. I think the model is to raid Government funded tourism boards like they are doing in the UK at the TdF.

The only spring classics left will be ASO or RCS events. It seems like UniPublic/Vuelta will be demoted like all the rest of the losers.

DirtyWorks said:

That's not "growing cycling." I'm still not sure why they think this works. Every sport with huge audiences have events running simultaneously, or nearly so.

What it is for everyone except maybe the riders/teams is an opportunity to drive advertising prices up and increase various hidden costs being skimmed. I think the model is to raid Government funded tourism boards like they are doing in the UK at the TdF.

The only spring classics left will be ASO or RCS events. It seems like UniPublic/Vuelta will be demoted like all the rest of the losers.

I smell SkySports made for TV super league coming to a UCI near you.

Revenue sharing anyone?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

That's not "growing cycling."\

Examples where small schedules work because each event gains more interest and importance American football. American nascar. F1. World Cup Rally. K-1.

Cycling has a bloated mess of a calendar, who has time to follow even half of it?

Rip:30 said:
Examples where small schedules work because each event gains more interest and importance American football. American nascar. F1. World Cup Rally. K-1.

Cycling has a bloated mess of a calendar, who has time to follow even half of it?

Look at it another way, viewers tune into the Giro, then the Tour of California. Everyone wins. The UCI has more elite events, viewers have more minutes of coverage.

The UCI's calendar described as a bloated mess is going a little too far.