• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI criticizes Bruyneel for unprofessional behavior

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
A Rock? It's a pebble at best!

When you are getting riders to adjust their saddles by 1.5 degree's or so, and getting bikes on and off that thing then you want something more stable than that. As stated on numerous sites many team managers called them out on the thing not being level.

Comical.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I think the UCI is a throwback to an an earlier period in pro cycling, when corruption was extreme, budgets were low, much was done on a makeshift basis, and no one minded. Let's call it the late sixties and before. Back then, if they propped up a jig with a rock, maybe you didn't complain; you just laughed and lit another cigarette.

Nowadays budgets are much higher, of course, and there's arguably more at stake. There is greater organization in the teams, a higher level of professionalism, and higher expectations.

Now along comes the UCI, thinking and operating as though they are completely oblivious to, oh, I don't know, say the last fifty years, with their makeshift jig and pebble combo, changing, er, I mean enforcing the rules mere seconds before the biggest TTT of the year. (And, incidentally, bringing that extreme corruption right along with them.)

Clearly, something has to give. This sport will never be taken seriously, even by many of its own players, until the UCI is gone. Long past due.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
When you are getting riders to adjust their saddles by 1.5 degree's or so, and getting bikes on and off that thing then you want something .. stable..

agree with that. but why can't a pebble be stable? surely it only takes a moment to check the saddle angle?

if they couldn't get it level, then i agree it's a farce. but it's unclear that was the case. i'd take DS complaints with a grain of salt.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
they would just use a spirit level and stack it with rocks as needed. would you feel better if it had a carbon fibre shim stack underneath? a rock is competely adequate.

Ignoring everything else going on with this topic - that is an utterly ridiculous argument.

An international organisation with a defined set of measurable rules and you build a jig that needs to be propped up with randomly sourced materials?

WHAT?

Even an average quality set of rollers comes fitted with a screw-mounted set of adjustable feet.

Why haven't the UCI done the same if this measurement is so important? Even if it ISN'T that important, the same jig would form a stable platform to make all other standard measurements.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
An international organisation with a defined set of measurable rules and you build a jig that needs to be propped up with randomly sourced materials?

at risk of repeating myself, all that counts is if it supports taking a stable, accurate measurement. assuming the pebble doesn't move and the jig was able to be measured as level (spirit level), surely that's all that counts?

i concede it isn't a good look for an organisation that already has credibility problems, but i'm not commenting on that.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Obvious said:
I see.

The UCI isnt helping themselfs with such an action. It comes off as childish and down right bullying. Would still like to hear their side of the story though...

I remember it was Johan who stated on TV You dont have to have brains to be a UCI commisair all you need is to know the rules He was fined for that statement on TV so the UCI will find anything they can to get back.

Just let off steam and move on.

Did note however the seats seam to be further forward this year so have they altered the 50mm rule.

Let the UCI make the rules and I will try to bend them.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
i've also heard that having a saddle, as opposed to the seat tube inserted up your rectum, provides more power too. so why aren't saddles banned?

My saddle fell of in a hill climb championship but didnt notice must have been lighter and no I didnt sit down all the way up.

Time keeper gave it back after. It was under UCI rules as well.

brianf7 said:
Did note however the seats seam to be further forward this year so have they altered the 50mm rule.
Saddle position rules have not changed for many years.

Saddle position is easily checked with the jigs (don't need a level jig for that).

As for checking if something is horizontal, well one only has to do a check, and recheck with the bike facing the opposite direction to see if the bike is on a slope, however small.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Saddle position rules have not changed for many years.

Saddle position is easily checked with the jigs (don't need a level jig for that).

As for checking if something is horizontal, well one only has to do a check, and recheck with the bike facing the opposite direction to see if the bike is on a slope, however small.

Actually, the jig could be resting on a hill and you could still check it. The seat just has to be parallel to the jig. The jig doesn't by any means have to be on a flat surface. If the two are parallel, the bubble gauge will read the same on the jig as on the seat.

TRENDING THREADS