• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI criticizes Bruyneel for unprofessional behavior

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The UCI seem to going over the top with their autocratic behaviour. Has any of them ever ridden a bike in anger? In the TT position, it may be neccessary to lower the front of the saddle a notch to relieve the pressure for comfort and medical reasons (as Cadel Evans commented). I guess a saddle manufacturer will now produce a saddle with a rubber insertion that allows the saddle to drop slightly under the riders weight, which will make a mockery of this stupid regulation. That is untill the UCI realise and ban the saddle too. I also think, the disqualification of Cavendish and Hushovd was over zealous.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Its all just a set up, like the jersey swap fiasco on the last stage in 2010, just to make it look like the UCI do not favour Bruyneel (or certain star riders of his). In other words look at us we rebuke Mr Bruyneel for his insolent behaviour and ignorance of the rules (....but we never found Lance positive, see everything must be genuine then?) .

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
Even if the rule made sense (which I don't think it does, but ho hum) why pick that time to apply it rigorously? BTW I've only heard about the Radioshack checks. Did they check any other teams?

As I posted before, TV commentators were joking on riders of certain teams (I can't recall which ones) with bottle holders integrated at the back of the saddle carrying nothing (their bottles were over the downtube). According to the UCI rule under discussion, if the bottle raises above the saddle it helps the rider developing more power by pushing his ass against the bottle.

Doctor J. said:
The UCI seem to going over the top with their autocratic behaviour. Has any of them ever ridden a bike in anger? In the TT position, it may be neccessary to lower the front of the saddle a notch to relieve the pressure for comfort and medical reasons (as Cadel Evans commented). I guess a saddle manufacturer will now produce a saddle with a rubber insertion that allows the saddle to drop slightly under the riders weight, which will make a mockery of this stupid regulation. That is untill the UCI realise and ban the saddle too. I also think, the disqualification of Cavendish and Hushovd was over zealous.

The race jury that DQ'd Cav & Thor is not the UCI. Two different bodies same madness.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In short, don't like the rules of the game, get out of the game.

In length, the rules are there and if they are unclear somebody who didn't understand it should of been asking questions not ignoring them. The UCI is now under more pressure about many things as we all know (go visit the Clinic), they have hired a PR guy to help with these issues and sure doing this on such short notice isn't helping. Then the threat of the teams forming a new governing body is also putting a monkey wrench in the mix, so I'm sure they were also flexing some muscle so to speak. The take home message is the rules will start to be applied in full, much like when the cops stop cyclist for not stopping at a T intersection which for decades people had, but some numb nut complained or got hit and tried to sue the city so now, tickets a plenty on that T intersection (I'm talking crossing the top of the T if the intersection on the right to left that has a stop light, when its red of course).

Pay the fine and live to race another day and even dethrone the UCI.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
In short, don't like the rules of the game, get out of the game.
UCI.

Yes, but, you can argue that the UCI shouldn’t be allowed to have such a monopoly on a sport that is essentially of the people, or at least, that the UCI cant claim the sport. They’re here to facilitate. We don’t owe cycling to the UCI.
I think it serves the UCI to be more humble; that their rules and enforcement be reasonable and relevant. As it stands now, they’re acting like a bunch of powerhungry beta males trying to assert themsefls. This might end up blowing up in their face.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Several rules are somewhat ambiguous, some don't necessarily makes sense, but that's sport I suppose.

Why suppose so? Why should we and the cyclists accept that? If a rule is faulty, it needs to be changed. If the body enforcing the rules is incompetent, it needs to be fixed.

I'd like to see a photo of the saddles in place before the officials gave their decision. Perhaps they were blatantly contravening the rules which have been in place for a long time. Perhaps not.

As both a competitor and a commissaire, I know nothing is worse than having a bike presented for scrutiny just before are race and to find something is not within regulation.

All riders/teams have the opportunity to validate their sets up are OK well before the final scrutineering check (which will still happen and once passed bikes are quarantined). That way you will have a better chance of avoiding last minute problems. Ultimately it is the rider's responsibility to be within the regulations.

Several rules are somewhat ambiguous, some don't necessarily makes sense, but that's sport I suppose.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Zweistein said:
The rules are the rules. You know what happens if you don't verify that someone didn't change their bike just before the event, they violate the rule after they made it through the initial check. This isn't rock science. They have every right to recheck and the Bruyneel is an ******* for mistreating the officials for making a follow up check. I dare say that if the UCI was headed up by some of you posters, it might be even more incompetent.

lets follow your logic. JB is an A$$clown for getting in an incompetent officials face?

the tdf sure brings the dull tools out of the shed amongst "us Posters"

May 22, 2010
Visit site
sometriguy said:
The UCI claims that a drop in saddle height allows you to apply more power...
i've also heard that having a saddle, as opposed to the seat tube inserted up your rectum, provides more power too. so why aren't saddles banned?

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
delbified said:
i've also heard that having a saddle, as opposed to the seat tube inserted up your rectum, provides more power too. so why aren't saddles banned?

Shhhh. This is not the kind of suggestion anyone with plans to ever race again wants the UCI to get wind of.

If you head over to bicycling.com:

Tour Talk Stage 3

Andreu calls the UCI a "Cluster" over this. He talks about them setting up in a dirt field, on a slope, and checking bikes for the first time all year.

He also says "like 80%" of the riders had to re-adjust their saddle position.

Once again, JB takes it upon himself to be the "mouthpiece" speaking out against the UCI.

Right at about 3:00 in.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
If the rules are not being applied correctly then it is correct to protest.

The UCI drops its jig in the dirt, it was not even level. Their solution was to prop up the tire track with a pebble.

P1010848.jpg

As long as the used there level gauge to verify that the jig was level before measurement, I don't see this as being an unacceptable makeshift solution. I don't know how many times I have seen phone books and magazines used in engineering projects to level equipment. On a tar road you would likely have to shim the rig as well.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
lets follow your logic. JB is an A$$clown for getting in an incompetent officials face?

the tdf sure brings the dull tools out of the shed amongst "us Posters"

Spitting on officials is being an a$$clown. JB spit on officials and was fined for it. When did spitting on refs become acceptable in response to a disputed decision? The guy is just trying to do his job and enforce the rules. Every team received the same treatment.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Zweistein said:
Spitting on officials is being an a$$clown. JB spit on officials and was fined for it. When did spitting on refs become acceptable in response to a disputed decision? The guy is just trying to do his job and enforce the rules. Every team received the same treatment.

Cavendish could probably answer that question. He is an expert on spitting on people when he is upset.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a silly rule because there are a 1000 things done to bikes to improve power transfer and performance. Unless everyone has to ride the same exact bike focusing on this as opposed to gears, tires, frames, etc, etc., this is pointless. Why is a better tire ok, but a better saddle not ok?

It is also vague because of the variety of saddle shapes. Laws/rules have to be clear enough that you can tell if you are in violation of them or not. And rules can't be changed, or enforcement changed at the last minute either (if that happened in this case).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Zweistein said:
As long as the used there level gauge to verify that the jig was level before measurement, I don't see this as being an unacceptable makeshift solution. I don't know how many times I have seen phone books and magazines used in engineering projects to level equipment. On a tar road you would likely have to shim the rig as well.

It was not level.....which is what led multiple teams and media to complain.

The funny thing was it caused riders to have to lower the nose of their saddle....something most see as a benefit in a TT

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It was not level.....which is what led multiple teams and media to complain.

The funny thing was it caused riders to have to lower the nose of their saddle....something most see as a benefit in a TT

That is not what you originally said. You said it wasn't level and then they shimmed it with a stone. I think you are either wanting it both ways or are convenient in changing your story.

Where are all these people that are complaining? I hear more complaining whenever cobbles were included in the tour or if there was a turn before the finish. The outrage isn't any more than normal.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
If the rules are not being applied correctly then it is correct to protest.

The UCI drops its jig in the dirt, it was not even level. Their solution was to prop up the tire track with a pebble.

P1010848.jpg

Keystone Cops. What a comical farce. Look at their piece of cr@p jig, let alone what it's propped up with.

And they wonder why we think they are cowboys.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
Keystone Cops. What a comical farce. Look at their piece of cr@p jig, let alone what it's propped up with.

And they wonder why we think they are cowboys.

they would just use a spirit level and stack it with rocks as needed. would you feel better if it had a carbon fibre shim stack underneath? a rock is competely adequate.

TRENDING THREADS