• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI in double role once again

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Read this on the danish page Feltet and wantet to share it with you here.

I`m amazed about it at shakes my head.

Direct link: http://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/uci_i_uheldig_dobbeltrolle/

Translated by Google :

UCI in unfortunate dual role

"We can not blow and have flour in your mouth," says an old proverb. But it apparently did not deter the international cycling federation UCI, currently. is in full swing to place himself in a somewhat unfortunate double role.
UCI

Acc. the usually very well informed blogger from "The Inner Ring" has a sports management firm emerged in Switzerland. The name is the Global Cycling Promotions SA (GCP) - and the owner is really UCI. Bicycle world of sport federations umbrella over the national associations and whose task is to regulate and manage the sport globally, therefore enters also into the scene as a sports promoter and organizer. The design has been around a few years but has only recently become Swiss registered with a modest capital of 200,000 Swiss francs, or about. 1,152,000 DKK

Director of GCP is Alain Rumpf, who have haunted UCI scenery in some years. Moreover, there GCPs leadership apparently by Federal President Pat McQuaid, another UCI backdrop ghost namely the Swiss ex-rider Rocco Cattaneo, and UCI finance minister and former Tour de Romandie boss, Jean-Pierre Strebel.

Is this a wise move? On the one hand it is obviously convenient to have a private company founded to organize the events that UCI both owns and organizes such as the World Cup and the new Tour of Beijing in China.

But on the other hand, mixing give someone very unfortunate conflict of interest. Guess what might happen when the private sports management firm Global Cycling Promotion SA at a time candidate UCI to get their Chinese stage race upgraded to world tour-class? An educated guess is that the GCP will have an incredibly polite, very fast, especially positive feedback.

Both the Chinese stage race and probably Global Cycling Promotion SA will debate at UCI meetings in connection with the holding of the World Cup in Copenhagen this autumn. You could UCI maybe invite the Danish Transport Minister Hans Christian Schmidt to come and entertain on the problem of DSB and DSB First?

UCI double role

will be interesting to see how McQuaid and his bunch of bandits explain to the Chinese why none of the top riders are going to be at the China Race if they form there own association.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
seriously . . . . are the UCI/Mcquaid trying to ruin this sport or what? i just don't understand why hasn't any1 stood up to all this cr*p. . . .

If the riders don't show up in China that would be a strong message. If they do show up we know they have no organized voice and are giving in, again.

i don't mean the riders i mean a strong cycling personality (like a famous ex rider) that could force some elections in the UCI for president and take down mcquaid . . . .

ofc that some1 would need to be some1 with the right ideas no mcquaid version 2.0

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i don't mean the riders i mean a strong cycling personality (like a famous ex rider) that could force some elections in the UCI for president and take down mcquaid . . . .

ofc that some1 would need to be some1 with the right ideas no mcquaid version 2.0

That is unlikely to happen but a rider revolt against this level of corruption could start that ball rolling. Start impacting the money train and the UCI will need to get someone else.

Uci

Parrulo said:

trying to get rid of McQuaid will never work, he has to many world wide cycling federations in his pocket, as well as Olympic commitee members, so the only real way is to set up a seperate organization with the teams/riders and the organisers. Once the ASO sides with the teams it will be the end of the UCI as all the other race organisers will follow. Lets all hope it happens soon and the McQuaid mafia are no longer involved with ruining cycling.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
orbeas said:
trying to get rid of McQuaid will never work, he has to many world wide cycling federations in his pocket, as well as Olympic commitee members, so the only real way is to set up a seperate organization with the teams/riders and the organisers. Once the ASO sides with the teams it will be the end of the UCI as all the other race organisers will follow. Lets all hope it happens soon and the McQuaid mafia are no longer involved with ruining cycling.

I think boycotting some events and hurting promoters where McQuaid's interests are so obvious could convince other promoters that the riders are serious. Starting another "league" takes a ton of money and the willingness to conduct your own events like the ABA and AFL did. If there's a billionaire white knight out there that will front a credible league plan then you have a start. Provide ASO and others a financial incentive to shift allegiance without actually costing them their franchises and it could work. The riders lack enough unified will and the money to accomplish that.
They can stand up by not increasing McQuaid's grip.