• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI-legal frames

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I presume that the lack of a down-post is the reason that this Kestral Airfoil Pro isn't race legal - but I can't find any mention of down-posts in The Rules: - though they aren't exactly easy-to-read and I am not a lawyer. Can anyone clarify/help?

457G_KestrelAirfoilPro.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Payo2000 said:
I presume that the lack of a down-post is the reason that this Kestral Airfoil Pro isn't race legal - but I can't find any mention of down-posts in The Rules: - though they aren't exactly easy-to-read and I am not a lawyer. Can anyone clarify/help?

I don't have the regs to hand but doesn't it say something about a frame having to have two triangles or something along those lines?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Payo2000 said:

Man I'd have serious concerns about those seat stays holding up lol

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
red_explosions said:
Man I'd have serious concerns about those seat stays holding up lol

Years ago i had a Ketrel 4000. It started out a great ride but the carbon threads would snap & break. After a few years that thing was a mess. I am sure technology has improved but I have never seen longevity tests on carbon frames. Ir would sure be nice to see what those seat stays are like in a few years of pounding :eek:

My current road bike has a standard road frame geometry with seat tube angle of 73 degree's, it is a size 52 frame (center-to-center) which i think is right for my height, i am 5'7 male. however i have a problem! i am unable to get into a neutral knee position! no matter how forward i move my saddle my knee still lies posterior to the pedal axial, even with the saddle forward at its maximum my knee remains posterior by approx 2cm.

To my amazement after some internet research i found that some people do have this problem which is related to the difference in thigh to lower led length difference which normally is a ratio of 1.3 to 1 (thigh to lower leg). It appears i am one of those with a longer lower leg, hence my inability to reach a neutral knee position over the pedals.

It seems the solutions is to go for a frame with a steeper 75 degree + seat tube angle. This leads me on to my main question, i am thinking about purchasing a Cervelo P2C tt frame and using it on a road setup with road bars opposed to aero, but does anyone know if this is UCI legal for road racing??? I mean look at the tubes on that thing! esp the seat post!! Laughing but also i did see this interesting article on velonews of ivan dominguez from toyota racing team who's road bike has a TT frame. But im not sure of the exact rules on this as his bike sports less aggressive airfoil shapes then the P2C.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
legalrights said:
This leads me on to my main question, i am thinking about purchasing a Cervelo P2C tt frame and using it on a road setup with road bars opposed to aero, but does anyone know if this is UCI legal for road racing??? I mean look at the tubes on that thing! esp the seat post!! Laughing but also i did see this interesting article on velonews of ivan dominguez from toyota racing team who's road bike has a TT frame. But im not sure of the exact rules on this as his bike sports less aggressive airfoil shapes then the P2C.
As of Jan1 2010, the P2C is no longer legal since the seatpost does not meet 3:1, although I understand that Cervelo are working on it.

The thought occured to me the other day watching a Triathlon where they had road bikes( with aero bars) since it was a draft legal event.

I cant think of any reason why you could not use one, although you wont get a quick wheel change with rear drop outs.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
In the REAL non drafting Triathlons most things go 80 degrees if you like.
Thank God they have been so progressive otherwise we could still be on 7 speed downtube shifters etc.
Frames looks like an aquired taste but each for their own.
Dont forget UCI rules may only apply to UCI events if you want to ride a 5 kilo special in you inter club race you can.
:mad::p:mad::p