• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

From last Monday; however this weekend sees the next round and it looks a stacked entry list, worthy of a World Cup.
A lot of Italians! :)

TODAY:

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I think there are highlights on YouTube of both races. Looking to be a good season - not many of the top names were missing.
Yup, the vids are good enough :)

Folks are pretty close. It will be interesting to see who is still building versus who is actually "sharp" right now. Also will be interesting to see what happens when vdP joins the fray. Could be just another one in the mix, or he could detonate everyone.

Reactions: jmdirt
Can't wait to see MVDP back in action. Love the fact that he is clearly putting MTB in front of road. If he can reach anywhere near the form he had at SB and T-A it's going to be an extremely ugly experience for everyone else - Pidcock and Nino included.

Blow out in the men's race today! TP cruising to a sizeable win. Of course, quite a number of top names not there, so who knows how things will look in the world cups. No offense to my countrymen who placed in the top five, but that's not normally where they've been placing at that level of race.

For me, I hope we see a variety of winners and lots of close races. If the races become blowouts or 1-2 man shows all the time, it will get boring. While it satisfies the fans of a particular rider if they were always win, it doesn't help the sport if it doesn't have enough depth for good competition.

Wow, Daan Soete really took the fight to Victor Koretzky today at the Copa Catalana, only losing in a sprint. Can we have another crosser doing great at a XCO World Cup next weekend?

I must admit, I was quite surprised when I saw him stay with Koretzky....only beaten in the sprint. Pretty impressive.

I often wonder why we don't see more crossers trying MTB; surely it helps/improves their technical skills. Most do the same thing year after year. Training camps followed by road races......

I must admit, I was quite surprised when I saw him stay with Koretzky....only beaten in the sprint. Pretty impressive.

I often wonder why we don't see more crossers trying MTB; surely it helps/improves their technical skills. Most do the same thing year after year. Training camps followed by road races......
Yup, I am generally perplexed by it as well. Definitely more benefits.

On a tangent, very confused by the strange CN 'racing news' update on the race today. The headlines were TP wins (makes sense, he won) and PFP comes in 3rd! No real mention of 1st or 2nd in the women's race. Odd ... is CN being sponsored by BMC or something? ;)

On a tangent, very confused by the strange CN 'racing news' update on the race today. The headlines were TP wins (makes sense, he won) and PFP comes in 3rd! No real mention of 1st or 2nd in the women's race. Odd ... is CN being sponsored by BMC or something? ;)

I don't think Cycling News is known for their journalistic integrity. They just love to stir the pot to get more clicks. That's why I don't click on certain articles because it just encourages more of the same from them.

Yup, I am generally perplexed by it as well. Definitely more benefits.

I agree that it was odd not to mention the ladies who were in front of her, but the focus of the story was multi-discipline racers, PFP.

Well, just read this weekend's race preview, and the geniuses at CN didn't include MVDP on their long list of favorites, saying The Dutchman has seen success on the mountain bike before, but as he has been focusing on the road the past few years, we'll have to see if he finds his way to the front of the MTB pack. Not sure why they even bother covering the discipline at all given how half-ass it is. Makes you wonder if they guy who wrote the article knows anything about it or has ever actually watched a UCI elite race.

Well, just read this weekend's race preview, and the geniuses at CN didn't include MVDP on their long list of favorites, saying The Dutchman has seen success on the mountain bike before, but as he has been focusing on the road the past few years, we'll have to see if he finds his way to the front of the MTB pack. Not sure why they even bother covering the discipline at all given how half-ass it is. Makes you wonder if they guy who wrote the article knows anything about it or has ever actually watched a UCI elite race.
No mystery in your last sentence. Both parts are most likely correct...

Most cycling journalists are roadies, and wouldn't know a MTB if it ran over them. I often feel, they don't think it's a proper sport - and is just people messing about pulling whips, tricks & wheelies...
I hate to inform them, but MTB is far bigger, and has Olympic status - than CX, which doesn't.

Anyway - most riders who hadn't ridden a MTB race for over 18 months wouldn't be expected to challenge for a win; however, MvdP isn't most riders. However, I'm wondering how good his form is for XC.
If he's in form, he won't want a slow, tactical race - that could allow Pidcock to get to the front - he won't want that.

I don't even think CN wrote the story unless they own BIKEPerfet, they just linked to someone else's story. Pretty tough to think that Mathieu won't be in the mix.

TRENDING THREADS