• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can think of at least one person who regretted the decision to run one... probably cost him the win!
No way to tell, but I would bet opposite from you, he would have been third even if his post didn't have issues.

I also wonder if he could have pulled it up. It depends on the design, but if the cable fails on some you can pull the post up with your hand and it will stay up.

No way to tell, but I would bet opposite from you, he would have been third even if his post didn't have issues.

I also wonder if he could have pulled it up. It depends on the design, but if the cable fails on some you can pull the post up with your hand and it will stay up.

I think he is running the inverted dropper from DT Swiss. It may be harder to pull it up compared to the more conventional designs.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think he is running the inverted dropper from DT Swiss. It may be harder to pull it up compared to the more conventional designs.

It depends on how the cartridge and release are designed, and I don't know anything about the detail of the DT.

Going that direction makes more sense though so you aren't squashing the pieces together with the post clamp.

They're in a category of their own; not a roadie, Crosser, or MTB-er.....
It does annoy me slightly when people call them 'roadies'; they may ride on the road, but they do other disciplines.
Riders like Pogacar, Roglic, Evenepoel are roadies.
Yup that's silly. They race multiple disciplines. I used to get labelled differently at different times, which was funny (sometimes a roadie, sometimes MTB ... never cross though!)

So let me get this right? For Pidcock to make the Olympics (barring covid cancel) then he needs Romania and therefore Vlad Dascalu to do well tomorrow? Do we know the specifics yet? Do XCC points count towards the nations rankings? Vlad did well getting a top 10 and a 2nd row start.

So let me get this right? For Pidcock to make the Olympics (barring covid cancel) then he needs Romania and therefore Vlad Dascalu to do well tomorrow? Do we know the specifics yet? Do XCC points count towards the nations rankings? Vlad did well getting a top 10 and a 2nd row start.

Only XCO counts in 2021 races, afaik. But even if the XCC counts, the points are negligible for the olympic ranking. 10 points for the XCC winner vs 250 for the XCO based in the results from 2019.

I think it's going to be very hard for the GB to qualify. At best, Pidcock will have 375 points from this year maybe. Which may give them 200 points more than they have now because his points will replace the points from another rider. This are all rough calculations done by head, but I don't think it's much different.

2020 was a missed year for Pidcock because no points after 03/03 are going to the Olympic ranking. It's the points from 29/05/2019 to 02/03/2020 plus the points from Albstadt and Nové Mesto 2021, which will add to the scores of the three best riders in the period of June 2018 to May 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and Ripper
I always find it interesting to see how some of the pros do so much better in the rain than others. I hate cold rain but I always did better racing in it. The more epically bad the race with cold and rain (and mud for MTB), the higher my placing tended to be. I love the heat but apparently my body is less a fan ;)

Anywho, really enjoyed watching the XCC and seeing some great handling in the wet. Massive wattage on display along with technique. Jordan S looking pretty impressive, and VK looking equally up to the task. MvdP and TP looking scary. Sunday should be interesting (more of the same or totally different)

Only XCO counts in 2021 races, afaik. But even if the XCC counts, the points are negligible for the olympic ranking. 10 points for the XCC winner vs 250 for the XCO based in the results from 2019.

I think it's going to be very hard for the GB to qualify. At best, Pidcock will have 375 points from this year maybe. Which may give them 200 points more than they have now because his points will replace the points from another rider. This are all rough calculations done by head, but I don't think it's much different.

2020 was a missed year for Pidcock because no points after 03/03 are going to the Olympic ranking. It's the points from 29/05/2019 to 02/03/2020 plus the points from Albstadt and Nové Mesto 2021, which will add to the scores of the three best riders in the period of June 2018 to May 2019.
The qualifying process is something I am just learning more about. Looks like a bit of challenge and some luck is going to be required for Pidcock to qualify. I imagine that would be very frustrating if it does not work out. He certainly has come out guns ablazing to give it his best shot.

Pidcock wow. MvdP didn't look that good, but if you take away Pidcock he would have looked amazing. Pidcock just made everyone else look like they were racing a grade down. MvdP is going to struggle to get gold if Pidcock makes it to the Olympics. I think Pidcock is right, he is made for mountain biking. Powerful, skilled, and very very light which is a big deal on those long climbs where he stuck it to MvdP

Giro and this tonight. Good tv! I better go to bed.

Last edited:
Both Elite race winners are similar; light weight, excellent climbers and technically very good; the perfect XCO riders. On any course with any level of climbing, they seem almost in a different league - as climbing is all about W/Kg. MvdP beat everybody he beat in Nove Mesto in 2019 - but he can't beat somebody who can climb like that.

I actually think Pidcock could be more successful at MTB-ing than CX, as it suits him more; longer climbs, more technical, etc

Both Elite race winners are similar; light weight, excellent climbers and technically very good; the perfect XCO riders. On any course with any level of climbing, they seem almost in a different league - as climbing is all about W/Kg. MvdP beat everybody he beat in Nove Mesto in 2019 - but he can't beat somebody who can climb like that.

I actually think Pidcock could be more successful at MTB-ing than CX, as it suits him more; longer climbs, more technical, etc

I don't think I'd clarify MvdP as similar weight or even light. He's a big unit.

Agree Pidcock appears perfectly suited to mtb

TRENDING THREADS