• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Something else I've noticed, especially on social media, people only realising now, a year late, that Red Bull won't be covering the MTB World Cups....Where have they been the last year?

RB did a great job, and would continue to - but MTB racing needs a lot more, and to try something different. Very few of the cycling media bother with MTB racing, it's mainly the well known MTB media......which is very niche. There's no guarantee things will improve, but they have to try - and putting it in the same place as other cycling coverage (GCN/Eurosport) might help.

i'll give gcn/disc/eusp a benefit of dount for one season and see how it'll go and how the coverage in the media and among the population really increase... still gonna wait for the season start if czech national tv will cover the xco world cup before i decide to pay for the gcn. czech coverage was always brilliant for many years. i don't think eurosport international will cover XCO live... or at least i didn't see any indication of it yet.

Reactions: jmdirt

US Cup from the weekend, plus Chile National Champs.

And an impressive debut from Colombo in Flanders - in the break for 100km, and the lights went out in the last 50km. He's had a pretty decent classics campaign, despite no experience.

US Cup from the weekend, plus Chile National Champs.

And an impressive debut from Colombo in Flanders - in the break for 100km, and the lights went out in the last 50km. He's had a pretty decent classics campaign, despite no experience.
yep... i was pleasantly surprised how long he managed to hang on... especially when the first 2 hours were ridden like hell

Valkenburg off the books for obvious reasons, but it would appear Van der Poel has scrapped Nove Mesto too. Chances to qualify for Paris '24 getting slimmer and slimmer. Given his other priorities, that would leave Glasgow or some unorthodox trip to Snowshoe.
damn... that's a bummer. i'll probably be there for the WC and was hoping to see him racing live :(

Last year it was mentioned that he'd focus on the MTB In 2023, which upset a lot of people on the road forum. However, things have changed, and it hasn't been mentioned at all. As Stonerider said, it's starting to look like he may have given up on the MTB; though nothing has been said.

The Dutch men are currently about 29-30th in the rankings; neither him nor Vader have ridden any World Cups since 2021, and there's been no mention of either of them doing so. And I can't recall seeing either riding a MTB on their instagram pages....
It's possible he does the post Worlds MTB races, but it's still a big ask to collect enough points - and would include a trip across to Snowshoe & Mont St Anne.....something I can't see happening.

Reactions: jmdirt
Colombo out with a broken elbow after getting caught up in a crash in Arenburg. Another MTB-er riding on the road injured thanks to a crash....joins Vader. One concludes that racing MTB is definitely safer than racing on the road......

Apr 18, 2023
Visit site
I agree, DH in Lourdes was amazing! Gwin is always impressive to watch, and winning on a stock YT Tues is a big deal. It's crazy how small changes like brakes and tires can make such a big difference in DH.

TRENDING THREADS