• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Points system

I am a little confused regarding the points system, if someone could explain it would be much appreciated.

I think, I may know.

You have ProTour Teams, ala Sky, BMC, OPQS etc and they get their ProTour ranking with the help the points that their riders get them?

Now, because SBTB were struggling with points due to the Contador situation they have looked at bettering their team with riders who have high ranking points.

Correct?

Do the points have to come from someone in the WorldTour Rankings, or can it come from the others, i.e European Tour?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a bit complicated and it has even slightly changed compared to last year.
First, only results from .1 races and above are taken into account.
Second, the points from the first 12 riders on each team (as opposed to the first 15 in the previous 2 years) are counted.
Third, the points from the last 2 seasons are taken int account, with a lesser weight given to the previous one. (50%)
Riders' transfers are taken into account.

The teams that have a valid licence through 2013 are automatically granted a WT spot, provided they rank in the first 15 teams.
The rest of the teams ranked between 16th and 20th will be assessed based on sporting, financial, organizational and ethical criteria and 3 of them are selected to the top tier.

nobilis said:
First, only results from .1 races and above are taken into account.
Second, the points from the first 12 riders on each team (as opposed to the first 15 in the previous 2 years) are counted.
Third, the points from the last 2 seasons are taken int account, with a lesser weight given to the previous one. (50%)
I have never read anything about these changes. Do you have a link to a source?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
I glance at the CQ ranking top 20 teams, and just assume those will be the ones in the running.
UCI POINTS
They are a bit different:
10 Movistar
11 Garmin
12 Vacansoleil
13 Lampre
14 Ag2r
15 Argos Oil – Shimano
16 Lotto – Belisol
17 FDJ
18 Saxo Bank
19 Europcar