• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Protected List ?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
We've heard Landis mention the blacklist so what about the UCI have a protected list. We've seen the treatment of LA in the past and now it seems they wanted to hush up the Contador story to.

Just wondering if the UCI did have a protected rider list and if so how would you get on it and why ?

Why should one podium winner of a grand tour be any different to another ?

I think there are only two ways to get protected.

Either you get cosy with the UCI statesmen, take them out for lunch, business ventures, gifts, down to flat out bribery.

Or your commercial value to the sport becomes so significant that to test positive would be a huge blow to revenues.

Some are both (HWSNBN), others may be one or the other, I think Contador is #2 only, but some team managers would definitely be pursuing #1.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
1 month

I really don't understand why it took one month for the results to came public,
while there are riders like Mosquera and Garcia, that the news come out before the team is even notified.

A double standard is never the image of a clean, fair sport.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
People are leaving out the real way to get on the protected list..mob rules. Lemond,everybody at Garmin, Bruynnel,for just a start already telling the UCI and others to slow down and give Alberto a chance to tell his side. They probably know what is at stake. The mainstream press is going to sink cycling and most people in cycling management can see the writing on the wall. TV coverage and sponsors running away from the sport. If Armstrong gets slammed cycling in the US will be turned back to pre 80's levels.The Luxemburg roll out is going super slow so don't be surprised if the main sponsor becomes a non player and decide that cycling is a bad place to put sponsorship cash.

Jux1893 said:
I really don't understand why it took one month for the results to came public,
while there are riders like Mosquera and Garcia, that the news come out before the team is even notified.

A double standard is never the image of a clean, fair sport.

A lot of people have asked that question. I've never heard an answer. But I suspect the significance of such a high profile athlete testing positive might influence those in charge of the evidence to keep the results of the 'A' sample quiet, as well as any actions related to testing of the 'B' sample, until the 'B' results are known. OR mayber there are other influences, he-he.

fatandfast said:
If Armstrong gets slammed cycling in the US will be turned back to pre 80's levels.
Actually, cycling - racing anyway - was pretty strong in the 80's and 70's even. But it was more underground, and there was a lot less prize and sponsor money. But there were great riders and great races.

Back to the OP - Was Simoni "protected" in 2002?