• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI reveal passport data to defend the sport

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
No, that looks quite odd... From reading the article I would think it might just be Pellizotti's profile...

The problem is that in the entire article nothing is said about the passport and nothing is said about the UCI. I thought it would be a wider breadth, this due to the fact that the article is about the comments of Torri, which to me means that it would mean at least the passport data of some Italian riders

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i don't know which article you're referring to, but i doubt the uci can or will release mass personal data of named riders (unless there was some legal/medical caveat) because they are prohibited by the confidentiality rules.

most likely they will compose some average hg/hct numbers and lay them over the historical trends showing decrease.

python said:
i don't know which article you're referring to, but i doubt the uci can or will release mass personal data of named riders (unless there was some legal/medical caveat) because they are prohibited by the confidentiality rules.

most likely they will compose some average hg/hct numbers and lay them over the historical trends showing decrease.

It's the "Liquigas sues Torri" article. Underneath it says "UCI to release profiles", but nothing is mentioned in the article.

I'm wondering if it's an error - a snippet for somewhere else?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
It's the "Liquigas sues Torri" article. Underneath it says "UCI to release profiles", but nothing is mentioned in the article.

I'm wondering if it's an error - a snippet for somewhere else?

That's my guess as well. That's mainly why I started a thread, whether someone heard or read anything about passport data being revealed

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
That's my guess as well. That's mainly why I started a thread, whether someone heard or read anything about passport data being revealed

i just perused main news sites in italian and the uci main site - not a word.

my guess is that if there was anything like that mentioned the fast-moving tuttobici would not have failed to catch it. at this point, im inclined to put it down to some confusion or a mistake.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
"The percentage of tests showing suspicious data has dropped from 11% to 2-3%."

this is a significant statement but who’s gonna be fooled by it other than…the fools

the decrease could be due to

i. more sophisticated doping protocols
ii. ever decreasing doses
iii. ineffective passport model
iv. actual decreased incidence of Doping

i know my answer…you are a corrupt tool, dr. zorzoli whose time was up the moment the uci suspended you for 3 months or when you recommended de boer to contador.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
2/3% is suspicious still

So that's 3 of the 100 riders. Usual peloton has 180-200 riders in big races. So at least 6/7 of them are doped.

Meh, not so good

Really? Only 6 or 7 riders in a peloton on the juice would be fantastic. However I don't believe for a second it's so low.

python said:
this is a significant statement but who’s gonna be fooled by it other than…the fools

the decrease could be due to

ii. ever decreasing doses

iv. actual decreased incidence of Doping

I'm probably missing your point here, but it sounds like you're saying ii and iv are bad. Because?

Race Radio said:
Does anyone else see the comedy in the UCI hosting a "Ethics" conference?

Granted it's an unusual sight. I'd like to see it from a positive (sorry!) point - I much prefer them to be involved for once instead of acting like it there is no conference. Australia anyone? Or as if the problem isn't doping, but *horror* talking about it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
I'm probably missing your point here, but it sounds like you're saying ii and iv are bad. Because?
the point was that micro dozing that goes under a radar does not mean less doping. and i didn't even mention other types of doping that blood bio passport zorzoli touted has no way of detecting. blood doping is less than 1/2 of all cases but the "2-3%" bs gives impression about all doping to those who are fooled by the deception statements.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I like how everyone says cycling is cleaning up but no one has ever seen doping during their careers.

I have, and seen medical control curcumnavigated with somone elses urine...and I`ve also seen the cover up by the race organisers when suspisions were aroused.
After my career it got much worse in the 90`s..as to is it geting cleaner?...I`d describe as going through a process of changing to a new paradigm ,not a "clean" one. Even if doping ever becomes a rare irritant pro sports will never be clean. Doping isnt the only way pro sport is so often dirty.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I like how everyone says cycling is cleaning up but no one has ever seen doping during their careers.
why would Lance et al only dope in front of teammates who have admitted hardly knew him? there may have been teams, e.g. Festina, who had systematic doping programs, but why would you expect all doping to be out in the open? it's common sense that you'd do it discretely. the fact Contador, or anyone else, shut the door to their hotel room before injecting himself allows their team mates to make that sort of claim.

Darryl Webster said:
I have, and seen medical control curcumnavigated with somone elses urine...and I`ve also seen the cover up by the race organisers when suspisions were aroused.
After my career it got much worse in the 90`s..as to is it geting cleaner?...I`d describe as going through a process of changing to a new paradigm ,not a "clean" one. Even if doping ever becomes a rare irritant pro sports will never be clean. Doping isnt the only way pro sport is so often dirty.
Yeah, I meant the Di Lucas out there, and also the McQuaids, and the Armstrongs with their "compelling HTC figures" that contradict their figures from previous years. The talk about cycling cleaning up without ever acknowledging its history is laughable.

Floyd and Bernard Kohl, among others, have already explained how riders beat the passport, so that drop from 11% to 2-3% almost certainly reflects at least in part better doping. Also, one of the most significant things Ashenden says in that article liniked in another thread, which rarely gets notice, is that the passport does not catch blood doping very well. As FL said, it's easy to balance a transfusion with a little EPO so that your hemo-parameters don't change. If the passport worked anywhere near as well as these apologists imply, there wouldn't have been such urgency to develop alternatives like the DEHP test--which can also be beaten.

Meanwhile, the LG lawsuit against Torri is one of the funniest things I've come across in cycling:

Zani told Gazzetta dello Sport that Liquigas will sue Torri for five million Euro because his comments have damaged the success of Ivan Basso at the Giro d'Italia and Vincenzo Nibali's victory at the Vuelta a Espana.

Remind me, how much money did Ivan pay to the guys who finished behind him in 2006 Giro, because he "damaged their success"?