• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Road World Championships 21st-29th September 2019 - Yorkshire - Race Thread.

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The overwhelming precedent is right there. Either you use it or you fall behind. 99% of cases you get punished for following the rule, hence nobody does it.

If you want to start applying the rule, this is the worst way to do so. It's less than a month ago the UCI explicitly allowed this to affect the Vuelta. It's likely we'll see more of this today and tomorrow and that those riders won't be disqualified.

I think it's worse to inconsistently apply a rule than to not apply it in cases like these.

Nail on head! If you have rules, then you apply them ALL the time! Everybody wants consistency; then we all know were we stand - and transgressions are applied with a penalty. Cycling is probably the worst sport in applying, or choosing not to apply penalties.
It really is time all the stakeholders came together to sort & re-write rules, and end the grey area of 'unwritten rules'.
I also find it pretty poor that none of the race officials knew until after the finish; surely they have TV coverage in the cars - and have officials back at HQ to communicate with each other. All in all, it's amateur from the UCI....

****Van der Breggen, Van Vleuten
***Bastianelli, Dygert, Vos
**Longo Borghini, Brennauer, Uttrup
*Pieters, Blaak, Spratt, Niewiadoma, Vandenbulcke, Guderzo, Biannic

In spite of not winning the time trial the Dutch ladies are still heavy favourite, with Van der Breggen in the best shape. Bastianelli might be one of the few with the finishing punch to challenge them. Dygert probably needs to arrive solo to have a chance. For entertainment purposes I hope Uttrup puts the hammer down and sneaks onto the podium.

The real issue is, this happened 125 km before the finish. If there is a violation, the guy should be taken out much faster - now he's DQ'd, but he affected the course of the race very much. It's as if you disallow a goal in football after the match has ended.

I agree a 100%. It might be more complicated than that though. The UCI states that they were only aware of the occurrence after the race had finished. I’m interested to find out how that is possible. I have no idea how the jury does their work during the race (maybe someone can enlighten us) but you would think camera men would be able (or must?) to report these things to the jury during the race. These things can of course also be reported by team directors but I would imagine that that is not something you think about in the heat of the moment. Maybe it’s here where the work needs to be done the most. We know that live images are easy to use for the jury (like the Nibali case) but what about the other moments? Are there strict guidelines that exist among motors that can potentially witness these things (besides UCI jury motors)? Are these guidelines respected at all times (some motor riders who have years of experience are old school and feel like it’s allowed - rules or not - so they might avoid reporting it) ?

****Van der Breggen, Van Vleuten
***Bastianelli, Dygert, Vos
**Longo Borghini, Brennauer, Uttrup
*Pieters, Blaak, Spratt, Niewiadoma, Vandenbulcke, Guderzo, Biannic

In spite of not winning the time trial the Dutch ladies are still heavy favourite, with Van der Breggen in the best shape. Bastianelli might be one of the few with the finishing punch to challenge them. Dygert probably needs to arrive solo to have a chance. For entertainment purposes I hope Uttrup puts the hammer down and sneaks onto the podium.
Rivera not worthy of a single star? Soraya? Ash?

Personally I think you've over-built Chloe Dygert there, she has incredible top end power but we have too little of a body of work seeing her competing against the likes of the top Dutchies and Italians for me to anoint her a bigger favourite here than the likes of Longo Borghini, Uttrup Ludwig and Niewiadoma - she has less experience riding in a péloton of this level, there's limited evidence in comparison to them of the kind of explosivity required on a hill to gain separation, so while I'm not saying she can't (I haven't seen enough of her in RRs because she doesn't race often in the WWT) I would expect her to need to attack away from the group on the flat and win on tactics rather than make a burst on a hill and gain separation from the likes of van der Breggen (it's one thing to hold your top end power and gain time accelerating out of corners, and another out-kicking the Queen of Huy uphill), and the likes of Elisa, Cille and Kasia have much more tactical experience riding against opponents of this level, so while her outright power merits some consideration, at the same time if she goes solo, you can expect the Dutch have at least two riders in a group behind unless they've done something daft, and while perhaps no individual rider is chasing Chloe down on their own, if you've got a group and the likes of Anna VDB and Annemiek are relaying, that's a different proposition. I know Guderzo tends to be a World Championships mayfly too, but feel that basically all of the remaining Dutchies deserve a single star because tactics could enable them to mark moves with the likes of Mackaij and Vollering (2nd and 3rd at LBL, remember) too. I mean, the assumption is that if Dygert were to win she would be doing so solo, but I can't see her winning solo being a more likely eventuality than Longo Borghini doing so (and Elisa would need to finish solo too) - the most likely people to finish solo here are the ones you've given a four star ranking to.

The more i see of this parcours, the more i get the vibe this has "Evenepoel long-range attack" written all over it. Looking at Van Vleuten, only confirms that. This is basically a Hammer Climb Limburg 2.0 parcours. Not that he'd necessarily make it to the finish, but he'd at least decimate a large part of the peloton.

Footage released by the UCI.

So..some new elements arose. The stayering was indeed way over the top. Also: apparently non-seen images can (as in may) only be examined after the race. So this was a fair decision if you apply the rules (if the rules are 100% just is another discussion). It’s been said before, but the team driver should have known better.

Last edited:
The more i see of this parcours, the more i get the vibe this has "Evenepoel long-range attack" written all over it. Looking at Van Vleuten, only confirms that. This is basically a Hammer Climb Limburg 2.0 parcours. Not that he'd necessarily make it to the finish, but he'd at least decimate a large part of the peloton.
If I were any team with more than one candidate I'd put a secondary leader on babysit duty. Terpstra would be my choice for team NL

If I were any team with more than one candidate I'd put a secondary leader on babysit duty. Terpstra would be my choice for team NL
Mollema would be my pick. I doubt Terpstra can follow Remco when he’s giving full gas on the longer climb. Or just let the Australians, Germans and Norwegians chase (the Australians always chase).
Indeed. Terpstra wouldn't last 2 miles. EDIT: assuming Remco doesn't get hammered by the length of the race.

You're right, I overlooked Rivera, although she didn't have a good season. I'm not sure if we should expect anything from the British team either. Maybe national champion Alice Barnes could do well?
Deignan! I actually thought she was in your three-star group.

Anyways, you may be more right than me on Dygert, the way it's broken up and she's into a smallish group will suit her more than had it been a full péloton chasing, and this plays to her strengths and not her weaknesses.

Reactions: Pantani_lives