• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Road World Championships 21st-29th September 2019 - Yorkshire - Race Thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You know how high intensity a TTT is? Like you'll see climbers hanging on for dear life when a TTer is on the front?

Women would be able to take approximately 0 turns. And if they can even hang on on a flat section that goes out the window when the gradient goes up.

So what;s the point of having this mickey mouse race - It's not essential that women take a turn and it makes it a more strategic race.

So what;s the point of having this mickey mouse race - It's not essential that women take a turn and it makes it a more strategic race.
You haven't really read the explanations in this thread, or anywhere else, about how it is raced before coming in with this moan, have you?

You are the one who suggested that it should be in a format that would allow what you are now criticising:
Actually the mixed ITT should have the men and women riding together - The relay is a nonsense.
(mixed ITT:where did you get that from?) although the thread already included this very useful summary of the format.
Three men start, two have to finish. When the second man crosses the line after their lap the three women can set off. The team with the fastest overall time after 2 laps, wins.

Think this mixed relay is pretty uninteresting, no matter what the format is. Both seem pretty stupid to be. I would for one much rather watch the trade teams although a bit weird for the worlds.

I like the idea of national TTT but not mixed. I feel like having it mixed will put alot of nations off as having both a mens and womens team good enough to compete is asking too much for alot of countries

My only concern is that a full strength Dutch team would probably put minutes into everyone else. Luckily Dumoulin isn't riding.

Dumoulin, Kelderman, Oomen, Van Baarle/Van Emden then Van Vleuten, Van der Breggen, Van Dijk and Brand would be untouchable.
Purely based on the strength of their women's selection obviously, because their men's team is no match for Belgium at the moment if everyone is fit (van Aert, Campenaerts, Evenepoel, Lampaert/De Gendt). But the Dutch could afford to field a complete C-tier men's line-up, and still win if they send their best women. I wonder how it'll turn out over the course of the next 5 years. I kind of like the idea, but it might turn out to be rather boring due to the Dutch women blowing the rest out of the water. It might have been more interesting to have a national TTT with men and one with women for this reason alone.

Van Vleuten joined the MTS men's squad for TT training at the start of the year and said that the pace of even Chaves and the Yates was too much for her to be able to roll through. All she could do was hold position.

This was the strongest female TTer in the world.
She was only 70 seconds slower on the same course last year, compared to Evenepoel, over 27,7km. Though i assume the difference would be larger today... i think last year's Evenepoel was quite a bit faster than the likes of Chavez as well, so maybe she was just being polite. I think she's a better TT'er than the worst men.

Mixed Time trial? What sh## is this??? So we are going to have men waiting for women??
This was announced last year when they said they were axing the regular TT for (non-nation) teams. They already did this at the Euro Championships (i will not spoil the surprise by telling you who won it, you'll never guess), so... Where have you been?

Last edited:
TTT is very different than ITT though, a lot of other factors come in to play, in his prime someone like Cav could be good in a TTT but not so much in an ITT, I amagine VdP would be an even better TTT than an ITT (which he is pretty good at).

I do think the mixed thing is a bit gimmicky though, better to have a womens and mens event.

Purely based on the strength of their women's selection obviously, because their men's team is no match for Belgium at the moment if everyone is fit (van Aert, Campenaerts, Evenepoel, Lampaert/De Gendt). But the Dutch could afford to field a complete C-tier men's line-up, and still win if they send their best women. I wonder how it'll turn out over the course of the next 5 years. I kind of like the idea, but it might turn out to be rather boring due to the Dutch women blowing the rest out of the water. It might have been more interesting to have a national TTT with men and one with women for this reason alone.

She was only 70 seconds slower on the same course last year, compared to Evenepoel, over 27,7km. Though i assume the difference would be larger today... i think last year's Evenepoel was quite a bit faster than the likes of Chavez as well, so maybe she was just being polite. I think she's a better TT'er than the worst men.

This was announced last year when they said they were axing the regular TT for (non-nation) teams. They already did this at the Euro Championships (i will not spoil the surprise by telling you who won it, you'll never guess), so... Where have you been?
I only see the Men elite race and the elite time trial... last year was a exception because of remco. I really don't care about TTT

It's something new to see if they can generate some interest in what is the most boring form of cycling (TTing). If it doesn't work they'll drop it, cycling is great at this in all forms. Based on some of the comments here you'd think they axed the Elite mens RR to accommodate it.

Reactions: 42x16ss
I like the idea of national TTT but not mixed. I feel like having it mixed will put alot of nations off as having both a mens and womens team good enough to compete is asking too much for alot of countries

I like it for exactly that reason - it rewards countries that invest more equally in women's cycling. Perhaps it may encourage more countries to do so...

I think you're probably right. I don't think she could TT with Chaves or the like because despite being considered poor TTers, GC-wise, he and others like him (Lopez, Bardet, etc...) are among the best riders in the world and still much better tters than the worst guys at the discipline. I have no doubt she could beat some of them.

Prob dropped on Buttertubs in current shape lmao

Can anyone explain to me why they need to ride 180 km before enterting the circuit? Think it would have been better just to do 285 km on the circuit, that would have made for a more selective race imo.
I don't like this either, as it tends to make races easier. How hard are those 180 km, though? The profile is not particularly helpful, but at least I see there are some climbs.

Reactions: Black Betsy
I don't like this either, as it tends to make races easier. How hard are those 180 km, though? The profile is not particularly helpful, but at least I see there are some climbs.

Three main climbs on Veloviewer.

Buttertubs:

Grinton Moor:

Cray:

Apart from those it's lumpy, up and down type roads but I'm not expecting it to do anything other than put some extra fatigue in some legs.

Evenepoel had junior gearing, and IIRC Van Vleuten won by a way bigger margin than Evenepoel vs the rest of the top 10?

Anyway, TTT turns are much higher intensity than an ITT so that also favors the men more than the women. The bad male TTers are probably quite explosive, unless you're talking about the tiny pure climber Pozzo calibre sprinters.

Evenepoel had junior gearing, and IIRC Van Vleuten won by a way bigger margin than Evenepoel vs the rest of the top 10?

Anyway, TTT turns are much higher intensity than an ITT so that also favors the men more than the women. The bad male TTers are probably quite explosive, unless you're talking about the tiny pure climber Pozzo calibre sprinters.
Evenepoel won by nearly a minute and a half. Van Vleuten by 29 seconds.
I was thinking about guys like Chavez. I don't think he would have finished closer to Evenepoel than her tbh. Even on restricted gears.

Three main climbs on Veloviewer.

Buttertubs:

Grinton Moor:

Cray:

Apart from those it's lumpy, up and down type roads but I'm not expecting it to do anything other than put some extra fatigue in some legs.
Thanks! Hard to say whether that's harder than the extra laps on the circuit would have been.

I could try to think of a more pointless hypothetical but I couldn't be asked to do it. You're completely ignoring the point I'm making.
I simply responded to your questions. Evenepoel won by a larger margin. And i was talking about tiny guys like Chavez. No need to put pressure on your brain. I have no idea whether a TTT is easier for bad yet explosive male TTers than a great woman TTer. So i have no opinion on the matter. Hope that's ok. If i had to guess, i'd say a good woman ITTer should have an easier time following at the back but maybe not taking turns.

You could also look at the U23 times as a point of reference, not on restricted gears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS