• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Road World Championships 21st-29th September 2019 - Yorkshire - Race Thread.

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TBF the rain and wind brought a chill factor. Alaphillipe, Roglic and Chaves were just a few of the riders shown shivering after stopping, while LL Sanchez had to be helped off his bike.

The only rider who looked truly prepared for the conditions was Fuglsang, showed by his freshness at the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of them end up sick and have to end their seasons due to illness.

They shouldn't be that way for the Worlds. The Worlds is supposed to be showcase, which this year it was definitely not.
I know, I hate it when it rains at at the worlds.
Lemond.Chambery.CyclingHallofFame.jpg

Reactions: 42x16ss and hrotha
You cannot prepared for cold and rain which causes illness. These riders are very susceptible to illness from cold and rain.
Belgium has cold and rain, Netherlands has cold and rain, Denmark has cold and rain, Norway has cold and rain, USA has cold and rain, UK has cold and rain, New Zealand has cold and rain, Germany has cold and rain, Russia has cold and rain.

Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Canada, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Slovenia, Colombia all have rain and cold. Even Matthews, who is notoriously bad in the cold rugged up and made sure he finished.

Reactions: wirral
Belgium has cold and rain, Netherlands has cold and rain, Denmark has cold and rain, Norway has cold and rain, USA has cold and rain, UK has cold and rain, New Zealand has cold and rain, Germany has cold and rain, Russia has cold and rain.

Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Canada, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Slovenia, Colombia all have rain and cold. Even Matthews, who is notoriously bad in the cold rugged up and made sure he finished.

Smart people stay INSIDE.

Matthews was one of 46 people who finished and one of many who had ZERO chance to win due to conditions. He should have climbed off.

What about one where the weather is miserable and there is a ton* of spectators?
That's cool. Racing along empty roads is pretty boring in comparison to having good crowds cheering you on (or even heckling you lol).

I wonder what the riders would say about a route like Alpe d'Huez though: if they'd prefer the entire climb to be barried-off (were that practical) or would rather do the climb w/ crowd parting at last moment. Runners are the worst, though. I think riders should be free to slug any spectator who tries running alongside them - if the runner is so close as to be w/in arm's reach.

Reactions: Koronin
That's cool. Racing along empty roads is pretty boring in comparison to having good crowds cheering you on (or even heckling you lol).

I wonder what the riders would say about a route like Alpe d'Huez though: if they'd prefer the entire climb to be barried-off (were that practical) or would rather do the climb w/ crowd parting at last moment. Runners are the worst, though. I think riders should be free to slug any spectator who tries running alongside them - if the runner is so close as to be w/in arm's reach.

Well a few retired cyclists have complained about the runners. It seems from what they've said that as long as the fans give enough room to get by it's ok.

Reactions: joe_papp
I'm a high school teacher and didn't look forward to the Monday.

Luckily, it is raining this morning, so I had no other choice than to cancel all my lessons because I have to traverse part of the distance to work by bike. Seeing that I didn't want to run the exaggerated risk of illnesses and injuries (also for my students), I really had no choice.

Why not use a car? Then again when I was in high school we had days cancelled for extreme cold and wind chill. Most high school kids either drive or take the bus. Obviously things are different there. Heck the one high school here doesn't have enough parking for all the cars for the kids so many park in the plaza parking lot across the street. I had college classes cancelled due to both white outs and torrential rains. Of course all the other schools had classes cancelled for that as well.

Last edited:

Just wanted to join the party and say Italy also has cold and rain. Northern Italy is on average much colder than the UK in the winter and Milano has a higher annual average precipitation than London.

Reactions: 42x16ss

TRENDING THREADS