• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI screws Astana

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
I've checked the UCI policy document and it appears you're not allowed to have a long surname and it can't be euro sounding.

Kreuziger, he has to go down, surname too long.
Vinokourov, too long, ban him.
Iglingsky x 2, way too long, ban them.
Rogers? Short, he gets a pass.
Impey? Short name, non-Euro, pass.
Froome? Short he can take prednisone.
JTL? Short name but hang on, Tiernan-Locke, that's Euro sounding and long, 2 year ban.

Ulissi needs to change his name to Rogers. Or ride for an Anglo team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ulissi-to-appear-before-disciplinary-committee-in-december

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Fedosseyev should have shortened his name.

and asked for a TUE.

This is funny stuff. I guess Nibali testing positive would reflect badly on the UCI, so they are taking down all these no names instead.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Jesus H Christ, what the fuk is going on over at Astana, definately seems like there is a tip off and some serious target testing going on. It really seems like its a team doping program, too many positives to be a coincidence.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Cookson did say time was running out...

Urging Vino to come talk to CIRC...

These positives could be tactical measures to get him come talk to CIRC..

Casue if CIRC catches him in a lie they can (independently of course :rolleyes:) ban him up to 8 years on site...

So far, it seems Vino doesn't bite the bait....

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
All this on top of the tragedy in March when Yerlan Pernebekov died of a stroke, maybe that is coincidental, but that number of cases suggests that the doping isn't an individual choice on this team, does someone have blood on their hands?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a suspicion that cheating is a way of life in some Eastern European countries whether it is getting a pilots license, paying taxes, paying bribes, or taking drugs. Any way to get ahead is acceptable. :(

avanti said:
I have a suspicion that cheating is a way of life in some Eastern European countries whether it is getting a pilots license, paying taxes, paying bribes, or taking drugs. Any way to get ahead is acceptable. :(

well that sort of model wouldn't be any different to the Western world.
Anyway, I wouldn't mind Astana getting booted out of the sport, but the process can't stop there. More cleanup is needed afterwards.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
LaFlorecita said:
it is sooo obvious the UCI is out to get Astana. Hopefully they won't start doing the same to Saxo because of Bjarne (and Oleg)

It's kinda like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Cookson called Vino and Bjarne out, and Vino is getting hammered. When is it Bjarne's turn? Maybe as Sceptic says there's too much Oleg money floating around?

Does seem incredibly fortuitously coincidental.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
For some reason, all these non-negative returns make the UCI look even worse than Astana. Its like they are looking for approval from the public to refuse the WT license.

TRENDING THREADS