• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI screws Astana

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
avanti said:
I have a suspicion that cheating is a way of life in some Eastern European countries...

Never trust those Easterners.

images

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Never trust those Easterners.

images

All we can say is that there was a "winning at every cost" mentality in both the USA and UDSSR. Each super force wanted to be better than the other.
In the US there is still a lot of that "just the 1st place counts" attitude. It may be the same in the ex Soviet states - things like that don't change immediately.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
It's kinda like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Cookson called Vino and Bjarne out, and Vino is getting hammered. When is it Bjarne's turn? Maybe as Sceptic says there's too much Oleg money floating around?

Does seem incredibly fortuitously coincidental.

Don't they shoot in their own foot? Eliminating AC and NIbali would hurt a lot unless they think froom and quintana can carry

Anyway this is hilarious, that's way too many to be a coincidence and i'm referring to the UCI of course LOL

Miburo said:
Don't they shoot in their own foot? Eliminating AC and NIbali would hurt a lot unless they think froom and quintana can carry

Anyway this is hilarious, that's way too many to be a coincidence and i'm referring to the UCI of course LOL

TdF will be completely unaffected by removing Contador and Nibali.
The July fans will tune in regardless.

How hard can it be to understand?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:

If the UCI wanted to get rid of Nibali they could make him test positive instead of all these other guys no one has heard of.

But the july fans has been told the sport is now clean, so if the most recent tour winner tests positive it would make them confused.

I think ideally the UCI wants to get rid of Astana by taking awya their licence, and then Nibali can move to a clean team like Katusha.

the sceptic said:
If the UCI wanted to get rid of Nibali they could make him test positive instead of all these other guys no one has heard of.

But the july fans has been told the sport is now clean, so if the most recent tour winner tests positive it would make them confused.

I think ideally the UCI wants to get rid of Astana by taking awya their licence, and then Nibali can move to a clean team like Katusha.

TdF fans couldn't care less. Its July and summer. Everybody feels good and tunes in. Somebody will rise to the top.

Remove Contador, Nibali, Froome and Quintana and they will still tune in.

I still don't understand why this is an issue.

Dazed and Confused said:
Can you read?

I don't understand why you posted "I still don't understand why this is an issue." as a reply to someone explaining that it isn't really an issue, except: "But the july fans has been told the sport is now clean, so if the most recent tour winner tests positive it would make them confused. "

So the question is, can you read?

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:
This is funny stuff. I guess Nibali testing positive would reflect badly on the UCI, so they are taking down all these no names instead.

Why would Nibali testing positive reflect badly on the UCI?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:

Contador is the most popular rider of this generation. It will have effect. And nibali is italian so almost no italian will watch.

You've the potential for a 4 way battle in a GT. When is the last time that happened? Where all 4 riders already won a GT and have a legit chance of winning it, no overwhelming favorite. How long?

They don't call them 3 week fans for nothing.
Most couldn't recognise Alberto Contador from a steak sandwich.
The TDF is the main reason the UCI has global aspirations and seek to simplify it; half the world tunes in, half the knowledgeable fans go on Summer vacations.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
They don't call them 3 week fans for nothing.
Most couldn't recognise Alberto Contador from a steak sandwich.
The TDF is the main reason the UCI has global aspirations and seek to simplify it; half the world tunes in, half the knowledgeable fans go on Summer vacations.

I'm not disputing that july fans exist but claiming that no AC and no Nibali and thus no potential hyped up 4 man battle won't have any effect at all on the viewership is ridiculous.

Miburo said:
I'm not disputing that july fans exist but claiming that no AC and no Nibali and thus no potential hyped up 4 man battle won't have any effect at all on the viewership is ridiculous.

Removing them will have minimal impact.

60% of July fans just wants to see the country side and listening to some history.

Large portion of fans just tunes in because thats what they have always done. They will continue to operate the remote regardless of who participates

Then we are left with hardcore, newbie and serious nationalistic fans.

Impact less than 5%.

Giro will have upside if Contador participate. Same with Vuelta and prep stage races.

Tour? Blip.

Dazed and Confused said:
Removing them will have minimal impact.

60% of July fans just wants to see the country side and listening to some history.

Large portion of fans just tunes in because thats what they have always done. They will continue to operate the remote regardless of who participates

Then we are left with hardcore, newbie and serious nationalistic fans.

Impact less than 5%.

Giro will have upside if Contador participate. Same with Vuelta and prep stage races.

Tour? Blip.

BUT as the sceptic noted, their "new cycling" propaganda would turn out to be meaningless

sjafafa said:
Why would Nibali testing positive reflect badly on the UCI?

Because they said Nibali's TdF was cleans. It would be THE MOST visible credibility problem for the UCI since Armstrong and directly impact the July fans.

Some poor Continental guys that have an almost non-existent fanbase, aren't bringing in WT sponsor revenue, can't afford a vigorous defense don't affect the UCI's credibility and provides enough technical and PR trouble to deny Astana a WT license.

Why they are aggressively pursuing Astana is an open question. Maybe IOC-level politics involved, maybe ASO wants them gone.. Lots of maybes.

Let's be fair to the 2014 TdF performances, 2nd-5th was reasonably cleans. Some rightly argue Nibali was clean-ish. There is another thread for that though.

TRENDING THREADS