• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI screws Astana

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
Again, the July fans couldn't care less.

Can't spell it clearer for you. Think business. Forget sporting element or credibility.

Hardcore fans will get involved and claim deja vu. On CN no doubt, me included.

But TdF will continue as always.

Indeed.
OK, the mountain stages are different, but 60% of the "fans" roadside are there for the publicity caravan freebies and not for the race.
Many leave before the race passes.
Sad lot.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
5 positives means team doping program. We were told those days were long gone. Yeah right.:rolleyes:

I think Cookson was upset Vino won in London and is now exacting his revenge.

Dazed and Confused said:
TdF fans couldn't care less. Its July and summer. Everybody feels good and tunes in. Somebody will rise to the top.

Remove Contador, Nibali, Froome and Quintana and they will still tune in.

I still don't understand why this is an issue.

Yeah we saw how cycling/the Tour was totally unaffected in Italy after Pantani was removed. No difference.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
5 positives means team doping program. We were told those days were long gone. Yeah right.:rolleyes:

I think Cookson was upset Vino won in London and is now exacting his revenge.

We were also told young riders no longer have to face the choice of doping. Guess that was a lie too.

The worst thing about this is that these guys are nobodies who most people haven't evne heard of. What does that say about the rest of Astana, and the rest of pro cycling?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
We were also told young riders no longer have to face the choice of doping. Guess that was a lie too.

The worst thing about this is that these guys are nobodies who most people haven't evne heard of. What does that say about the rest of Astana, and the rest of pro cycling?

Were the kids given a choice, or did the team management/coaches make them take the "supplements"?

Netserk said:
So you are saying viewing numbers for the Tour in Italy didn't change as a result of Pantani's removal?

The overall number stays pretty much the same.
TdF is a global business. Some countries moves up others down.
However the core TdF fans tunes in pretty much as always.

Pantani's fans left. Peanuts.

Steady growth. Subtract 3-10% after scandal, the event recovers and increases 3-12% etc.

You are from Denmark, Riis doper, Sorensen doper, Basso doper, Schelck doper, Jaksche doper, Ja Ja doper, no relevant Danish rider today, no Danish team in Tour and yet I bet the July fans tunes in as normal.

Removing Contador or any other rider from the tour will have zero impact on business (TdF)

The Giro or Vuelta otoh might be impacted. Imagine Aru and Nibali removed from the sport. Goodbye Giro pretty much.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Wondering if there is any bad blood between ASO and Vino? I dont think ASO was too happy about Astana winning TDF ... especially ahead of two Franchies.

ASO definitely has the upper hand over Crookson so all this could be an "a la carte" order?

Jancouver said:
Wondering if there is any bad blood between ASO and Vino? I dont think ASO was too happy about Astana winning TDF ... especially ahead of two Franchies.

ASO definitely has the upper hand over Crookson so all this could be an "a la carte" order?

Hmmm, just having two Frenchmen on the podium would be enough relief for ASO for now, you'd think. I'm guessing that Vino has done something to annoy Cookson. Something pretty bad, I'd say, because Tinkoff and Bjarne still haven't attracted any heat and we all know how Cookson loves them :eek:

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Vino or other management at Astana must have really stepped on someone's toes to be getting this kind of public shaming. While deserved, all these positives come off as something akin to "payback". Here's hoping the juicy details become as public as all the doping catches.

yespatterns said:
I agree, Vino or other management at Astana must have really stepped on someone's toes to be getting this kind of public shaming. While deserved, all these positives come off as something akin to "payback". Here's hoping the juicy details become as public as all the doping catches.

This. Either someone got very very careless, or this is some flexing of muscles or very extreme 'warning shot' for Astana. I'm not into conspiracy theories as a rule, but this all seems a tad odd. Not sure what the target is but something is cooking somewhere we don't know about.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Leopold König @LeopoldKonig · 15h 15 hours ago WTF is going on Astana??? Who's next??? Want to believe its about individuals..

For what its worth, its nice to see at least one top pro has the balls to acknowledge what is happening.

burning said:
Do you really think that without Froome and Wiggins, the viewer numbers in UK won't change at all?

Do you really think that the viewer numbers in the UK significantly influence the global viewing figures?
The BBC doesn't seem to think so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28264183

Certainly not according to Cycling Weekly:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...iewers-tour-de-france-stage-two-finale-130576

So, I make that 0.1% - 0.35% depending on which figures you use, in global terms.

I got a feeling that Astana is gone already. With the 5th case on, it seems highly unlikely that this wouldn't have any harm on their license.

Nibali and Aru doesn't seem worried at all. Why? Martinelli can't be really linked with any of the current Kazakh cases. He's part of the clean, Italian Astana section.

So is there already a door out? Martinelli talked about setting up a new Italian pro team in future this summer. Could/ would he take over?

Who would be interested to sponsor such a team?
Mapei-Bianchi
Saeco
Fassa Bortolo
Benetton
Were all rumored to be interested in sponsoring a cycling team (again) in the past weren't they?

Let's wait and see if this is just some weird speculation by me or if this even could become reality. :eek:

Mellow Velo said:
Do you really think that the viewer numbers in the UK significantly influence the global viewing figures?
The BBC doesn't seem to think so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28264183

Certainly not according to Cycling Weekly:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...iewers-tour-de-france-stage-two-finale-130576

So, I make that 0.1% - 0.35% depending on which figures you use, in global terms.

A sudden change in one country may not influence global figures too much, but If UCI decides to screw too many big riders, I think that the viewership will change significantly.

Edit: Does somebody have any info about US figures since Lance?

staubsauger said:
I got a feeling that Astana is gone already. With the 5th case on, it seems highly unlikely that this wouldn't have any harm on their license.

Nibali and Aru doesn't seem worried at all. Why? Martinelli can't be really linked with any of the current Kazakh cases. He's part of the clean, Italian Astana section.

So is there already a door out? Martinelli talked about setting up a new Italian pro team in future this summer. Could/ would he take over?

Who would be interested to sponsor such a team?
Mapei-Bianchi
Saeco
Fassa Bortolo
Benetton
Were all rumored to be interested in sponsoring a cycling team (again) in the past weren't they?

Let's wait and see if this is just some weird speculation by me or if this even could become reality. :eek:

I fear it is too difficult to set up a team now, isn't it too late? new contracts to be signed, lawyers into the game, Uci licences. nah.

let's see if Uci gives them the WT licence (it would be fun it they lose it, but much less fun for the riders and crew, mechanics, masseurs and so on)
It would be fun to read the raging Italian journos :p

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
The overall number stays pretty much the same.
TdF is a global business. Some countries moves up others down.
However the core TdF fans tunes in pretty much as always.

Pantani's fans left. Peanuts.

Steady growth. Subtract 3-10% after scandal, the event recovers and increases 3-12% etc.

You are from Denmark, Riis doper, Sorensen doper, Basso doper, Schelck doper, Jaksche doper, Ja Ja doper, no relevant Danish rider today, no Danish team in Tour and yet I bet the July fans tunes in as normal.

Removing Contador or any other rider from the tour will have zero impact on business (TdF)

The Giro or Vuelta otoh might be impacted. Imagine Aru and Nibali removed from the sport. Goodbye Giro pretty much.

A beautiful bit of utter speculation without anything empirical to back it up whatsoever. Bravo

burning said:
A sudden change in one country may not influence global figures too much, but If UCI decides to screw too many big riders, I think that the viewership will change significantly.

Edit: Does somebody have any info about US figures since Lance?

This has some Lance and post Lance viewing numbers.
They are tiny in comparison to the UK:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...er-People-Be-Watching-the-Tour-this-Year.html

We are looking at a max of 0.025%, The norm being just a third of that figure.

TRENDING THREADS