• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI screws Astana

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Yes, the coincedence is pretty fregging amazing, yet, it did amuse me a lot. This because the winner of the 2012 Liege was one of the main reasons to join this forum :eek:

Correct. And the astana juniors tests it just plain funny.

The reason I brought up the JTL non-EPO test was just that. There you had a guy ripping it up all year with suspicion from many circles.... low and behold, no EPO test at the ToB just prior to the worlds...

The UCI works in strange ways... independently of course ;)

thehog said:

The reason I brought up the JTL non-EPO test was just that. There you had a guy ripping it up all year with suspicion from many circles.... low and behold, no EPO test at the ToB just prior to the worlds...

If folks are planning a long evening, here's some fuel to keep the camp fire burning.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/cycle-life/First-Look-Specialized-Diverge.html

Vinokourov’s statements, especially, have a greasy smugness to them; the attitude of someone who thinks we’re credulous rubes, happily scarfing up bull****. Or worse, that he knows there will be no real consequences for what we all see as lies.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Vino needs to equip the team with sandshoes.

He tried to persuade them, but Nibs wasn't having it—wanted nothing to do with it.

883990-detenteur-maillot-jaune-vincenzo-nibali.jpg

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

JTL is british so I guess the UCI had an open mind on him.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is clear that many riders are being target tested. It has been reported over and over. You are welcome to pretend they are not but it is clear they are.

Some dopers were caught by a test and the result is a bunch of baseless speculation and rambling conspiracy theories. I did not see anyone complaining when they target tested DiLucca......and caught him. Odd.

Astana screwed themselves.

So Vino upset UCI (or just Cookson) then and drew down all this testing.

We know the testing is mostly a joke, why and how did they get it right when going after Astana?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
If folks are planning a long evening, here's some fuel to keep the camp fire burning.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/cycle-life/First-Look-Specialized-Diverge.html

Here's the more direct link from Lindsey:
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/cycle-life/Astanas-Finish-Line.html

Very strong words, no doubt.
Vinokourov’s statements, especially, have a greasy smugness to them; the attitude of someone who thinks we’re credulous rubes, happily scarfing up bull****. Or worse, that he knows there will be no real consequences for what we all see as lies.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
Domb headline. If anyone thinks doping starts and finishes with Astana they need their head examined.

Good point.

If We Want to End Doping in Cycling, Astana Must Go

It would've been better to suggest something along the lines of,
"If anti-doping is meant to be taken seriously, then Astana must go."

I get that Lindsey is most likely suggesting the removal of Astana as perhaps a necessary step in the process, but headlines do as headlines do. :rolleyes:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
I find it pretty amazing that posters are prepared to denigrate other posters based on their belief that dodgy stuff is going on behind the scenes.

Particularly given the history of the UCI as read in Hamilton et al's biography, and the revelations coming out of Russia.

Cookson removed McQuaid supporters from the UCI, not bad apples (Zorzolli). It has hardly changed. The CADF is still in the same building. Saugy is still heading up the main UCI lab.

Catlin has just admitted they let positive testing biathletes go, agreeing with the IOC that it would be bad juju if they lost the case.

Add in Cookson almost demanding Vino go to the CIRC - which Vino quite clearly refused.

JTL was not tested for EPO.

But no, nothing dodgy going on now. All cleans. All incorruptible. Perfectly legit.

Good grief.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is clear that many riders are being target tested. It has been reported over and over. You are welcome to pretend they are not but it is clear they are.

Some dopers were caught by a test and the result is a bunch of baseless speculation and rambling conspiracy theories. I did not see anyone complaining when they target tested DiLucca......and caught him. Odd.

Astana screwed themselves.
com'on.
it's speculation, yes, but it's not baseless.
Gotta agree with FGL that your using the term conspiracy here makes you sound as if you haven't been following top sports in the past twenty years.

Dear Wiggo hits nail on head.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'am perfectly fine with Vino and Astana being buried...

About them being screwed it is a matter of perspective..
I think Vino might feel that way, surpirised maybe by the refound effeciency of doping controls.. In the end I doubt these positives are fabricated so all in all they get as deserved..

If this is first step in cleaning up the sport, then fine -I applaud it..
Only it must not stop here, with Vino being another deflector of underlying issues.. They should carry on with this target testing, and none should be spared...

However I'am a little worried that the only "major" cyclist busted the last few years is a rider that also rode for Astana..
I also share some concerns with the "conspirators" as to this being political and only the tip if the iceberg...
This concern, is for me strenghtened by how much all of this fits pefectly into the new Cookson doctrin...

Dear Wiggo said:
Catlin has just admitted they let positive testing biathletes go, agreeing with the IOC that it would be bad juju if they lost the case.

That's an old story that resurfaces now and again.

Kind of like Verbruggen's demands to relax anti-doping law if Paris was serious about hosting a Summer games.

Otherwise, yeah absolutely right. The focus on Astana is a little absurd. It's more like a symptom.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I find it pretty amazing that posters are prepared to denigrate other posters based on their belief that dodgy stuff is going on behind the scenes.

Particularly given the history of the UCI as read in Hamilton et al's biography, and the revelations coming out of Russia.

Cookson removed McQuaid supporters from the UCI, not bad apples (Zorzolli). It has hardly changed. The CADF is still in the same building. Saugy is still heading up the main UCI lab.

Add in Cookson almost demanding Vino go to the CIRC - which Vino quite clearly refused.

JTL was not tested for EPO.

But no, nothing dodgy going on now. All cleans. All incorruptible. Perfectly legit.

Good grief.

Good Grief is right.

I don't see anyone pretending everything is clean, all is good, but nice straw man.

Do you really think any of the babble on this thread is the same level of evidence that Hajo presented in his piece on Russia? Equating the two is comical at best

I do agree it is poor form for other posters to denigrate me because I do not share their belief in unsupportable conspiracy theories

Sep 29, 2012
Race Radio said:
Good Grief is right.

I don't see anyone pretending everything is clean, all is good, but nice straw man.

Do you really think any of the babble on this thread is the same level of evidence that Hajo presented in his piece on Russia? Equating the two is comical at best

I do agree it is poor form for other posters to denigrate me because I do not share their belief in unsupportable conspiracy theories

You're calling it babble - denigrating. Again. Putting people down for what they feel or believe to be true, based on countless examples.

Dude.

You posted a semi-naked picture of Armstrong. For. Some reason.

I think your ability to put other people's posts or opinions down is amazing. I think it's also very hypocritical.

Please show me anyone denigrating you - please. I bet you can't. Disagreeing is not denigrating.

Mocking people's posts by calling it "babble" is.

You're welcome.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
You're calling it babble - denigrating. Again. Putting people down for what they feel or believe to be true, based on countless examples.

Dude.

You posted a semi-naked picture of Armstrong. For. Some reason.

Calm down

Being mocked for not pursuing unsupported conspiracy theories with the same energy as I have pursued other, more well sourced, stories is denigrating.

Your faux outrange on the Lance pic is funny. Strange how you had no problem with shirtless pics of Froome.

Sep 29, 2012
Race Radio said:
Calm down

Being mocked for not pursuing unsupported conspiracy theories with the same energy as I have pursued other, more well sourced, stories is denigrating.

Your faux outrange on the Lance pic is funny. Strange how you had no problem with shirtless pics of Froome.

I notice you didn't actually link to any mocking. No proof eh?

As for your Lance pic, trust me, it's not outrage. It's just an example where a poster feels something is important enough to post about, and (I for one) said nothing about it, despite feeling it was off topic, a little unnecessary, but hey, you feel strongly about it, and whatever doping problem it exemplifies, here, in the Clinic where we discuss doping matters.

Other people offer similarly opinion-based posts in this thread and you are calling it "babble".

It's not outrage, just pointing out what looks like hypocrisy to me.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
thehog said:
Don't be silly. I'm making light of the situation. Random tests for EPO of lowly ranked riders from the same team. Both positive. Do you think the UCI order EPO tests are all Top 100 riders just for fun? Of course not. They bearly test for EPO these days. It was a target test and got thr desired result for the UCI...

The 2012 reference was to nightlight the lack of EPO testing these days....

Wasn't that hard was it? :cool:

to me, (most) topics in the clinic end up being complicated and cloaked in mystery ;) that was why i said nevermind... i have no business posting in here with my rookie questions; otoh, the subject of Astana getting screwed by the UCI - it's hard to resist.

Iglinsky's are small fish caught in some sort of bigger plan...it seems; not that i expect any top dawg's or shark's getting a positive test any time soon.

anyway, thanks for your reply. i'll keep reading...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
mrhender said:
About them being screwed it is a matter of perspective..
agreed.
i wasn't able to change the title of the thread anymore, it should've been less of a statement, more neutral/questioning. Perhaps a moderator could change the title into "UCI out to get Astana?" or something along those lines?

TRENDING THREADS