• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI searching for New 2014 Worlds host

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/uci-searching-for-new-2014-worlds-host_240032

The Union Cycliste International (UCI) is searching for a new world road championships host for 2014. Cycling’s governing body has given Ponferrada, Spain, a deadline to guarantee its money and has already started talking to new candidates.

UCI President Pat McQuaid confirmed to VeloNews that he asked Gerrit Middag, head of the events department, to contact potential hosts.

“I told him,” said McQuaid, “‘Get on to all your contacts, people that you’ve been dealing with in relation to possible world championships in the future. Ring them all up and say there’s a possible opportunity. And are you interested?’”

Ponferrada, near Leon in Northwest, Spain, won the right to host the UCI’s annual championship event last year. However, with Spain suffering from the ongoing financial crisis in the eurozone, Ponferrada is facing difficulty paying the guarantee. It needs to pay the UCI approximately €5.5 million ($7.07 million) as an up-front pledge to host the worlds — with additional costs coming down the line.

Personally with the cycling festival and potential classic coming to London next year. Not to mention ready made TT and Road Race courses from the Olympics, London makes a certain amount of sense. Although France, Belgium and Norway are the likely candidates.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/uci-searching-for-new-2014-worlds-host_240032

Personally with the cycling festival and potential classic coming to London next year. Not to mention ready made TT and Road Race courses from the Olympics, London makes a certain amount of sense. Although France, Belgium and Norway are the likely candidates.
It makes sense from a logistics point of view but I would like to see variety in the courses. 2011 was fairly flat and the Olympic course was not as selective as it could have been. While I think there should be a course for the sprinters every once in a while the next few should be sufficiently different.

luckyboy said:
No idea what the terrain is likely to be in Norway but if there are some nice hills then take it there.
There are plenty of hills and mountains in Norway. I imagine a possible WC course would be held near/around Oslo where the scenery is just magnificent. Further to the West (Bergen) are plenty of mountains although I think that's unlikely to be part of the course.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
bjaelkesex said:
There are plenty of hills and mountains in Norway. I imagine a possible WC course would be held near/around Oslo where the scenery is just magnificent. Further to the West (Bergen) are plenty of mountains although I think that's unlikely to be part of the course.

Rerun of the crashfest that gave a lucky opportunist the jersey in 1993. No thanks.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
It makes sense from a logistics point of view but I would like to see variety in the courses. 2011 was fairly flat and the Olympic course was not as selective as it could have been. While I think there should be a course for the sprinters every once in a while the next few should be sufficiently different.

That was more a function of small teams than the course.

To make a UK based event tougher it just needs to be moved out of London to The Downs. A circuit based on Brighton would work well and still be easily accessible due to Gatwick's location. The course used in 1990 for the Wincanton Classic could be a possibility.

movingtarget said:
Qatar is already locked in for 2016.

Yes, so it's likely it will be China.

Allthough UCI also said it's 4 years in Europe and 1 year somewhere else in the world, but let's wait and see as they can easily make an exception for this one.

First of all I hope it stays in Spain, but if they can't get the funds I hope it will go to Norway. I'm sure it will be a nice course there and they have been trying to get it for a while.
Aslong as it will be an selective course!

I really hope Ponferrada gets to host the Worlds' in 2014 because the course is very good, however with the Economic future of Spain looking very bleak, the city will have to find the money themselves.

If the Words' are moved. Qatar will most probably be moved from 2016 hosts to 2014 as it would have no problem in preparing in a short time,
while Bergen in Norway who lost out to Qatar for the 2016 bid the first time, will get to replace it.

UCI have asked if Bergen can host the 2014 WC, but it has refused due to lack of sufficient time to prepare.

England is believed to be bidding for the 2017 WC, though thankfully it's not London and rather it's Yorkshire.

the asian said:
I really hope Ponferrada gets to host the Worlds' in 2014 because the course is very good, however with the Economic future of Spain looking very bleak, the city will have to find the money themselves.

If the Words' are moved. Qatar will most probably be moved from 2016 hosts to 2014 as it would have no problem in preparing in a short time,
while Bergen in Norway who lost out to Qatar for the 2016 bid the first time, will get to replace it.

UCI have asked if Bergen can host the 2014 WC, but it has refused due to lack of sufficient time to prepare.

England is believed to be bidding for the 2017 WC, though thankfully it's not London and rather it's Yorkshire.

Yorkshire that'd be good. Reminds me of James Herriot.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Qatar is already locked in for 2016.

I know but maybe they can be ready a couple of years earlier, or do it twice.

EDIT: I see the asian has already mentioned the possibilty. Bergen in 2016 I guess would be okay. The Qatar bid falling over would be the best option but highly unlikely.

ultimobici said:
Rerun of the crashfest that gave a lucky opportunist the jersey in 1993. No thanks.

I think the chrashes were due to the City of Oslo wanting to be nice, and provided newly paved roads. I don't think anyone organizing such an event in Norway would allow that mistake to happen again.;)

I think part of the reason for Qatar getting 2016 was that they could be a backup for 2015 which I also think have problems.

If qatar is willing to move to 2014, who would be back up for 2015? Qatar again?

I'm not sure Bergen is willing to be a backup for 2015. But it's concievable. I don't know anything about their bid and what they need to do to be ready. I imagine their is a lot of coordination needed to insure the route is ready with not new pavement, but also not too old pavement. Roads don't last that long in Norway due to frost, studded tyres etc.

Then there is the economic quarantee part. There are numerous processes involved. Democracy takes time, even though the piggy bank is full.

Kwibus said:
Yes, so it's likely it will be China.

Allthough UCI also said it's 4 years in Europe and 1 year somewhere else in the world, but let's wait and see as they can easily make an exception for this one.
!

Its a stupid rule though. I don't see any problem.in them making an exception to.it
though i also would like the 2014 world to.be in.Spain.