• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI World points

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RedheadDane said:
Besides; from when exactly does points earned go to the new team?
Points belong to a rider*. Riders belong to teams. Points are not earned, because they are based on the UCI Rankings. Therefore, the number of Rider Value points of a rider can get less during a season.

*With the exception of some team points for team classifications in WT races.

Points aren't earned? Wiggins just won the Tour, he got 200 WT points for that, isn't that earned?

And I meant at which time in a season does new points somehow follow over the the new team? From when the contract is signed? Some pre-set date?

Actually I don't get how points can follow a rider; all teams start the season with zero points, right?

RedheadDane said:
Points aren't earned? Wiggins just won the Tour, he got 200 WT points for that, isn't that earned?

And I meant at which time in a season does new points somehow follow over the the new team? From when the contract is signed? Some pre-set date?

Actually I don't get how points can follow a rider; all teams start the season with zero points, right?
At the end of a season you can see how many points a rider has. The sum of 2 seasons of points is the value of a rider. All riders which are under contract on January 1st of the next year---for which the contract has been submitted---count for the new team for the new year.

WT points are "useless". It's the position on the ranking that counts.

RedheadDane said:

World Ranking points are not the same as team points towards a WT place. Given that his one week tour results would have made Wiggins pretty certain of a high placing in the World Rankings, his TdF placing will actually make precious difference to the amount of points he would bring to a team if he were to leave Sky (as if...)

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
World Ranking points are not the same as team points towards a WT place. Given that his one week tour results would have made Wiggins pretty certain of a high placing in the World Rankings, his TdF placing will actually make precious difference to the amount of points he would bring to a team if he were to leave Sky (as if...)

It still does give him an extra 45 points, which is as good as gold to the smaller teams!

RedheadDane said:
My opinion on the matter:

1: All teams should start as at least pro-conti but preferably conti.

2: No point transfer. All teams starting the season with zero points.

---

Besides; from when exactly does points earned go to the new team?

Well, Conti or Pro-Conti has more to do with the level of professionalism and wage structure if I'm not mistaken, so if a new team with money wants to start, they will always be Pro-Conti.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
AIM seems to be doing it the right way. They are recruiting riders, but they aren't bringing in any huge big point riders; they will build over a few years.

This is purely a thought experiment!

Let's imagine that from next season we have 18 WT teams, these teams are registered as being part of a continental area as well. X number of Pro-Conti teams in each continental area (Europe, America, Asia, etc.), these teams are registered as being part of a country as well. And X number of conti teams in each country.
All teams start the season with zero points.
If a Conti team ends the season with more points than a Pro-Conti team from their own country then they would take said team's place as a Pro-Conti team for the next season.
If a Pro-Conti team ends the season with more points than a World Tour team from their own continental area then they would take said team's place as a World Tour team for the next season.

For example:

Team A is a Danish Conti team and Team 1 is a Danish Pro-Conti team. If Team A ends the season with more points than Team 1 they two teams would switch places so Team A became the Pro-Conti and Team 1 the Conti. However, if Team A had more points than the Belgian Pro-Conti team Team 2, then nothing would happen.
Likewise if the previously mentioned Team 2 had more points than an European World Tour Team which I'll call Team X then those two teams would switch places. However, if they had more points than an American World Tour Team (Let's call them Team Y) Then nothing would happen.

This is flawed, I know...

gustienordic said:
It still does give him an extra 45 points, which is as good as gold to the smaller teams!

News to me that the formula is sufficiently in the public forum to be able to quantify anything: glad to hear that the UCI is, uncharacteristically, transparent. Do you have a ref for the points system? (Not doubting you, just interested to see it)