• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UKAD Emails Support Dopers and Doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DirtyWorks said:
Can we all agree I was right?

He said that he handed UKAD copies of prescriptions from Bonar for HGH, EPO and testosterone. Graham Arthur of UKAD told Stevens during the cyclist’s appeal hearing that the information was of “little or no use to UKAD”.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/145909161628/stevens-said-that-he-spoke-about-bonar-and-his

This is the same org charged with fixing RUSADA. Good times ahead for British athletes in the Olympics.

There's little they can do as Bonar has no ties to any national federation and confidentiality means that Bonar can't name names.

Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

He said that he handed UKAD copies of prescriptions from Bonar for HGH, EPO and testosterone. Graham Arthur of UKAD told Stevens during the cyclist’s appeal hearing that the information was of “little or no use to UKAD”.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/145909161628/stevens-said-that-he-spoke-about-bonar-and-his

This is the same org charged with fixing RUSADA. Good times ahead for British athletes in the Olympics.

There's little they can do as Bonar has no ties to any national federation and confidentiality means that Bonar can't name names.

Other than report him to the GMC, which they failed to do. Its really poor that some attempt to defend a situation whereby valuable information was chosen to be ignored at every point. If not for the Sunday Times article, Boner would still be supplying UK athletes and British Tour de France cyclists (in saying that he probably is still supplying as he has not been banned form anything).

thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

Other than report him to the GMC, which they failed to do. Its really poor that some attempt to defend a situation whereby valuable information was chosen to be ignored at every point. If not for the Sunday Times article, Boner would still be supplying UK athletes and British Tour de France cyclists (in saying that he probably is still supplying as he has not been banned form anything).
I fully agree that they should have reported him, but because of confidentiality the athletes involved would still get off.

MatParker117 said:
thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

I fully agree that they should have reported him, but because of confidentiality the athletes involved would still get off.

Good grief, the point being if the Doctor can no longer practice, he can no longer prescribed drugs to athletes. Stevens gave the names he knew to UKAD, UKAD decided to Tweet those competitions out so those athletes could keep doping and not be caught... no one has been sanctioned.

If you're good with that then I assume you don't actually wish to see anti-doping.

thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

Good grief, the point being if the Doctor can no longer practice, he can no longer prescribed drugs to athletes. Stevens gave the names he knew to UKAD, UKAD decided to Tweet those competitions out so those athletes could keep doping and not be caught... no one has been sanctioned.

If you're good with that then I assume you don't actually wish to see anti-doping.

Guys due up next month:
http://www.mpts-uk.org/about/news/1770.asp

thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

That is except for the suspension pending disciplinary hearing for not telling a patient she had terminal cancer so he could continue gouging money out of her, which is significantly more unsavory than supplying PEDS.

Of course UKAD should have reported him and looked at the names supplied by Stevens.

MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

Well, we certainly don't know that. For all we know, he might be a main doctor helping to supply British athletes in different sports, and the British Sports Federation might be funding him. UKAD not doing its job might also suggest them knowing and not reporting anything or doing proper testing/covering up, etc. I think it's kind of funny and ironic that UKAD and its affiliates were supposed to 'help' foreign associations like RUSADA deal with doping and administering proper protocols and testing, yet they can't or simply refuse to do that in their own backyard. How can people seriously expect major changes when no change has actually started? Nobody is doing anything apart from saying Russia this, Russia that. That's a scapegoat move if I ever saw one. Of course, WADA isn't going to say that UKAD is 'non-compliant' and won't face any consequences as a result.

wansteadimp said:
thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

That is except for the suspension pending disciplinary hearing for not telling a patient she had terminal cancer so he could continue gouging money out of her, which is significantly more unsavory than supplying PEDS.

Of course UKAD should have reported him and looked at the names supplied by Stevens.

Alas he was cleared of that incident so you're back to square one, yes?

Can't believe you're trying to actually defend this situation. Disappointing to be honest.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
So the gist is Dan Stevens in the course of his proceedings with UKAD provides them with copies of prescriptions from Dr. Bonar for him for HGH, etc. The UKAD response is to the effect of "so what" or "what am I (we) supposed to do."

Re:

Nick C. said:
So the gist is Dan Stevens in the course of his proceedings with UKAD provides them with copies of prescriptions from Dr. Bonar for him for HGH, etc. The UKAD response is to the effect of "so what" or "what am I (we) supposed to do."

That's the gist. I watched some of the video and as it turns out Stevens wasn't even looking to dope. He went their under a legitimate medical reason which then moved into EPO. The growth hormone prescriptions he did not redeem, gave them to UKAD who said -- "thanks, we'll file these under trash can and give you a 2 year suspension".

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Whatever happened to UKAD investigating claims by a former member of the Linda McCartney Pro Cycling Team that there was widespread doping among the British-based squad during its brief existence between 1998-2000?

Zilch.

United Kingdom Are Doping.

thehog said:
wansteadimp said:
thehog said:
MatParker117 said:
DirtyWorks said:

Alas he was cleared of that incident so you're back to square one, yes?

Can't believe you're trying to actually defend this situation. Disappointing to be honest.

He's certainly had one hearing, don't know whether the one in July linked to by MatParker117 is in respect of the Cancer case or something else, presumably he is still suspended until after that 2nd hearing.

Not sure where you think I'm defending it? My last para rather gives that away.

I think conning terminally ill patients is worse than supplying PEDS, but neither are good.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
Nick C. said:

That's the gist. I watched some of the video and as it turns out Stevens wasn't even looking to dope. He went their under a legitimate medical reason which then moved into EPO. The growth hormone prescriptions he did not redeem, gave them to UKAD who said -- "thanks, we'll file these under trash can and give you a 2 year suspension".
What is the point of calling yourself an anti-doping commission. The other criticism is that if it was really outside their jurisdiction why not pass it along to someone who can act upon it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Nick C. said:
thehog said:
Nick C. said:

What is the point of calling yourself an anti-doping commission. The other criticism is that if it was really outside their jurisdiction why not pass it along to someone who can act upon it.

Passing it on means someone might act upon it and UKAD cant have that!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I can see why they want nothing to do with this. It would inevitably turn up a big name and noone wants that. I don't think it is right not to investigate but if you are th UKAD and you for one second believe there is the tiniest chance that this Dr is the Ferrari of UK sports you will ignore, bury, ban etc to stop it being public. That said the Twitter advance warning to catch those who dope is laughable.

So many places to post some information on Mr. Arthur, now former Director of Legal at UKAD. I choose my thread.. ;)

while it lasts...
http://www.ukad.org.uk/our-organisation/governance/executive-team/
Graham is responsible for managing both analytical and non-analytical results, consistent with the World Anti-Doping Code and UK National Anti-Doping Policy, and overseeing the legal and Results Management sides of the organisation.

Hmmm. One wonders how many such cases weren't handled properly since his hire in 2009.

Here he's pretty much feeding a bunch of misinformation.
http://www.e-comlaw.com/world-sports-law-report/hottopic.asp?id=1343

It seems like Mr. Arthur's Internet history is vanishing as I post this.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

DirtyWorks said:
So many places to post some information on Mr. Arthur, now former Director of Legal at UKAD. I choose my thread.. ;)

while it lasts...
http://www.ukad.org.uk/our-organisation/governance/executive-team/
Graham is responsible for managing both analytical and non-analytical results, consistent with the World Anti-Doping Code and UK National Anti-Doping Policy, and overseeing the legal and Results Management sides of the organisation.

Hmmm. One wonders how many such cases weren't handled properly since his hire in 2009.

Here he's pretty much feeding a bunch of misinformation.
http://www.e-comlaw.com/world-sports-law-report/hottopic.asp?id=1343

It seems like Mr. Arthur's Internet history is vanishing as I post this.
yes, thanks to new google laws 'famous' people can fairly easily erradicate unwanted files with their name in it from the internet. I googled Lemond and Castoing recently, and couldn't find *anything*, whereas ca. one year ago I was still finding all sorts of info on that little spat they had between them.

The Arthur interview is interesting. Feeding a bunch of misinformation indeed.
That, and the typical empty antidoping PR. To sound expert, he drops the word "methylhexaenamine", a PED found in supplements, as if that really were the biggest problem in PED-land.
Wada/UKAD, Arthur, Reedie, Cookson, Coe, etc.
Keeping up appearances whilst shoving doping under the carpet big style.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the paradox that is anti-doping.

If anti-doping authorities catch lots of dopers it makes it look like there's a doping problem.

If there's a doping problem, it means anti-doping isn't working. Catch 22.

Plus there is the simple fact that dopers hold the upper hand and are one step ahead. Anti-doping is expensive, and in the grand scheme of things hardly a national priority.

So, you can see a whole raft of inherent problems even before you come to the idea of collusion between anti-doping authorities and national and international sporting bodies (which, of course, has been strongly indicated by various cases)

ebandit said:
DirtyWorks said:
Can I take two victory laps?!?!? I think so. :D
wow! excellence in self promotion...............................

is recognising that news of doping is bad publicity really.....promoting doping?

Mark L

I got some criticism when I started this thread because, you know, Brits don't dope and all that. If only I could predict other things so well... hmm Lottery numbers maybe...

Re:

kwikki said:
Plus there is the simple fact that dopers hold the upper hand and are one step ahead. Anti-doping is expensive, and in the grand scheme of things hardly a national priority.

Yet at the current funding levels it turns out the bio-passport works well. If only sports federations were interested in clean athletes.

kwikki said:
So, you can see a whole raft of inherent problems even before you come to the idea of collusion between anti-doping authorities and national and international sporting bodies (which, of course, has been strongly indicated by various cases)

You know the anti-doping authorities have no authority, right? They are directed by others to do things. That includes hiding positives or changing scores in the system if you are in Russia.

The tools they have are effective if they would use them. They choose not to use them.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
bang on the money, Dirtyworks. Well said.

Each time again, you see that when there is a will to catch somebody, they actually do.
Like now with the Russians. Or Contadoe and Floyd (assuming that they were indeed both targeted).

The other day they tested a Brazilian cyclist positive for 15 different dope producst.
Again, it shows if there's a will, they can actually detect a lot.