• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ultegra 9 speed with new 10 speed shifters - will they work?

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that I can use the new shimano 10 speed shifters (ultegra or 105) with existing ultegra 9spd kit. I don't need 10 speed, I just like the 'cleaner' look of concealed cables. At the end of the day an accurate, reliable shift is more important to me that asthetics, so happy to stay with the 9 speed shifters if I have to - I would like to hear about actual experience rather than theory.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Bikemonkey said:
I've heard that I can use the new shimano 10 speed shifters (ultegra or 105) with existing ultegra 9spd kit. I don't need 10 speed, I just like the 'cleaner' look of concealed cables. At the end of the day an accurate, reliable shift is more important to me that asthetics, so happy to stay with the 9 speed shifters if I have to - I would like to hear about actual experience rather than theory.

when you set it up lock out the top gear not the lower one. you will still get some shifting issues.
You can put a 10 speed cassett on with the 9 speed mech that will work OK.
then all you need is shifters cassett and chain.

Bikemonkey said:

Yes for everything but the cogset. 10s STI shifts 10s spacing and that does not match 9s cogset spacing. BUT it will work fine with the so called '9s' rear der and front der but it will not shift a 9s cogset well at all.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
The following reflects my experience with Shimano shifters/derailleurs and 'standard' cable routing. I've never tried a travel agent, 'alternate' Shimano cable routing, or shimagnolo combinations.

In situations where shifters have more 'clicks' than cassettes have gears, it is assumed that the mechanic will lock out the shifter's final click with the RD limit screws.

* 10 speed shifters + 7/8/9/10 speed (except 740x Dura Ace) RD = 10s shifting on Shimano 10s cassette.

* 10 speed shifters + 6/7/8 speed DuraAce 740x RD (I used a 7402) = 9s shifting on Shimano 9s cassette.

* 9 speed shifters + 6/7/8 speed DuraAce 740x RD (I used a 7402) = 8s shifting on Shimano 8s cassette.

*7/8 speed shifters + 7/8/9/10 speed (except 740x Dura Ace) RD = 7s shifting on Shimano 7s cassette, and 8s shifting on Shimano 8s cassette (spacing between gears on cassette is the same for 7 and 8 speed, but 8s cassettes/freehub bodies are wider)

It is my understanding that 7900 FD/left hand shifter cable pull is different from all others, meaning you cannot mix and match. Moreover, 10s FD cage spacing will be narrower than 9s cage spacing, making use of a 7900 front mech with an otherwise 9s setup difficult, to say the least.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Yes for everything but the cogset. 10s STI shifts 10s spacing and that does not match 9s cogset spacing. BUT it will work fine with the so called '9s' rear der and front der but it will not shift a 9s cogset well at all.

Really... I hate my ultegra 9 spd hood shape after feeling sram, campy and the new shimano hood shape.

So a 10spd cassette and shifters I should be good?

TRENDING THREADS