• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Un-ban The Helmet Rule.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
......it has taken the personal connection outa racing when watching. If grown men and woman want to race on 'closed roads' without wearing it then they should be allowed to. When the ban came into effect for all levels of racing the price of helmets tripled!! Anyone else notice that?????? I was happy with a moderate helmet law i.e sprint stages etc. But mountain top finishes when they're riding 13-14mph. Come on !!!

boardhanger said:
......it has taken the personal connection outa racing when watching. If grown men and woman want to race on 'closed roads' without wearing it then they should be allowed to. When the ban came into effect for all levels of racing the price of helmets tripled!! Anyone else notice that?????? I was happy with a moderate helmet law i.e sprint stages etc. But mountain top finishes when they're riding 13-14mph. Come on !!!

Havent we come to a point where for aerodynamic reasons, it is better to wear one anyway. Its not that big a deal to wear a helmet. People get used to it after a while, well actually after about 5 minutes.even at 13- 14mph, you could still fall on your head. And if you can afford a road bike, and the time to race, surely you can afford a helmet?

I am sure we have discussed this before... the issue about not wearing helmets for mountain top finishes is less about the helmet itself and more about the trouble caused by riders trying to hand them to team cars at the base of a climb.

And IMHO it makes sense for these guys to wear helmets - I wouldn't changethe rule.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Havent we come to a point where for aerodynamic reasons, it is better to wear one anyway. Its not that big a deal to wear a helmet. People get used to it after a while, well actually after about 5 minutes.even at 13- 14mph, you could still fall on your head. And if you can afford a road bike, and the time to race, surely you can afford a helmet?

Ask a kid in Africa if he can afford a helmet. Why do you think there is little black pros from that continent??? I know for a fact that the UCI made laws regarding the expense of cycling because kids from Africa etc can't afford to even get into our sport. I understand cycling is number 2 sport in some African countries like Ethiopia etc..... I'm from Ireland but live in the USA. I remember cycling clothes pre Lance cost $20. Mostly made by Giordandra. Then Nike hit the market bought into leTour and the apparel is now $80-$100 dollars for same thing.

I was recently watching some old races and I did prefer to see the riders without helmets for the pure aesthetics of the race. However, I realize that safety concerns will probably mean that this ban will never be overturned no matter how passionate some people feel about it. I also live in the U.S. and got a new helmet recently and it was for roughly the same price that I paid for my old helmet over five years ago, so I'm not sure about how the UCI-mandate dramatically increased the prices of helmets.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Highlander said:
I was recently watching some old races and I did prefer to see the riders without helmets for the pure aesthetics of the race. However, I realize that safety concerns will probably mean that this ban will never be overturned no matter how passionate some people feel about it. I also live in the U.S. and got a new helmet recently and it was for roughly the same price that I paid for my old helmet over five years ago, so I'm not sure about how the UCI-mandate dramatically increased the prices of helmets.

What was your price you paid? I don't know if you was into cycling pre-Nike ( outa respect I refuse to say pre-Lance cause I give the man credit for what he's done.....) I've witness the change in pricing and its shocking. This isn't a USA based thing it's happened in Britain and Europe also. Nike !!!!

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
While I agree that the range of prices one may pay for helmets, shorts, bikes or virtually anything else bike-related (and about any other consumer good...) has tripled over the last number of years, you can also get a much better, ANSI or SNELL approved helmet for about the same price you would have paid for a "generic" helmet at that time. So - the upper echelon of helmets has soared for the latest and greatest, lightest and best ventilated, etc... but you can get a damn good helmet for about $70 these days, and it is as good or better than the $160 helmets were 7 or 8 years ago. I guess it depends on what you want vs. what you need. Giordana shorts for $20? I've been into bicycles at a variety of levels (retailer, mechanic, race organizer, etc...) for almost 40 years and I don't recall any of the boutique-brand shorts being in that price range even back in the late 70's/early 80's. Maybe my mind is going...

May 27, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:

That is the dumbest idea i've ever heard. HELMETS SAVE LIVES!!!! I had a crash last sunday in a race, I landed on my head and knocked myself out. I have no doubt in my mind that my helmet saved my life. Helmets may be expensive and they may not look pretty or whatever but they save lives period.

And yes i agree that its unfortunate that kids in Africa can't afford helmets but from what i've seen they manage to get them. And if you can manage to get a $5000+ Bike you can afford to get a helmet, which again, will SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

Wake up man.

Oh, BTW, the helmet that i crashed with and saved my life cost me $80. I think thats pretty cheap for anyone, but hey, thats all my opinion.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:
That is the dumbest idea i've ever heard. HELMETS SAVE LIVES!!!! I had a crash last sunday in a race, I landed on my head and knocked myself out. I have no doubt in my mind that my helmet saved my life. Helmets may be expensive and they may not look pretty or whatever but they save lives period.

And yes i agree that its unfortunate that kids in Africa can't afford helmets but from what i've seen they manage to get them. And if you can manage to get a $5000+ Bike you can afford to get a helmet, which again, will SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

Wake up man.

Oh, BTW, the helmet that i crashed with and saved my life cost me $80. I think thats pretty cheap for anyone, but hey, thats all my opinion.

....if i can afford a 5 grand bike i can get a helmet??? what? have you lived in africa? Imean the 'sissy fact' has come into play. men/women afraid to race without helmets OMG!!!! Get real plz!!

Seems like we're getting multiple arguments here.

1. Should pros have to wear helmets?
2. Should average riders be required to wear them?
3. Why do they cost so much?

My personal answers -

1. Not for MTF's (like 2002-2003), though as 180mm says, having them pass off helmets was a problem.

2. Under the age of 18, yes. Though not to wear one at any age is stupid.

3. You can get reasonably decent helmets for not too much money on sale. Why high end helmets cost $250 is beyond me.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
....if i can afford a 5 grand bike i can get a helmet??? what? have you lived in africa? Imean the 'sissy fact' has come into play. men/women afraid to race without helmets OMG!!!! Get real plz!!

Your just clinging to straws man, i know people in Africa can't afford a $5000 dollar bike, but if they are racing they can afford some sort of bike and hopefully they can afford a helmet. If I could help them get helmets, believe me I would.

And if wanting to race with a helmet in case i land on my head on a hard surface that will KILL ME makes me a sissy, then yeah, im a sissy because I don't want to die.

If you don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a helmet then don't buy one and don't ride otherwise suck it up and buy a helmet like everyone else has to.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
+1
Its not like second place in a mountain top finish gets off and claims if he didn't have to wear a helmet he would have won.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Since I broke my helmet helmets are a good idea. I have a wife and kids I owe it to them to wear one, no matter how cool it looks to ride helmetless. Being a veg. is kinda a drain on the fam. don't you think?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to vote pretty close with Alpe d'Huez on this one.
Helmets should be required, but on a hot climb ot the finish, I understand the desire to take off the lid.
I'm also going to say require helmets for amature road use (as well as motorcycle helmets and seatbelts) because I don't want my insurance costs going up to pay for somebody else's poor choices.
On price, I just bought my wife a $50 ANSI approved BELL road model that it much nicer that the helmet that I was riding with 3 to 5 years ago. I spent about the same on my current lid ( a Mt. model because I like the visor for all-weather use).

May 27, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
I know of no helmets that have an aerodyamic advantaged 14mph???

Dude give it up. Helmets save lives thats why they are mandatory. As many people have stated (including myself) it is possible to get a helmet under $100. As far as i'm concerned you have no decent arguments as to why helmets should be un-banned.

I say get rid of the rule. The riders look ridiculous on mountain top finishes. Helmets are not effective at high speed and most pros don't wear helmets while training, so the rule is effectively just for show. Helmets are so cheap to manufacture that the riders should toss them to the side of the road like bidons at the start of climbs.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I say get rid of the rule. The riders look ridiculous on mountain top finishes. Helmets are not effective at high speed and most pros don't wear helmets while training, so the rule is effectively just for show. Helmets are so cheap to manufacture that the riders should toss them to the side of the road like bidons at the start of climbs.

Its a joke pros forced to wear helmet. 25mph average is justified reason......What next helmets for mononolpy??

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Its a joke pros forced to wear helmet. 25mph average is justified reason......What next helmets for mononolpy??

i think this is such a troll of a thread, but for the sake of those really debating this one, if you show Pros without helmets at any stage of a race, what do you think you are encouraging impressionable people to do?

That's right, you're encouraging them to ride without a helmet, period. There are people out there who won't differentiate between a mountain top for a pro and themselves on the way to the store, where they can accidentally come off and yes, die.

Many fatalities have been recorded from people falling and hitting their head on the ground...and i'm not talking about riding bikes even. One of Australia's best cricketers got punched, knocked out, but it was the impact of his head on the ground that killed him. The dude was standing still before the punch, so if you crash at whatever speed, anything is possible.

Lastly, like everyone has said, there are perfectly effective, reasonably- good-looking and economical helmets out there - and if you think having a helmet on your head is a chore, you need to H.T.F.U. :rolleyes:

Dewulf said:
i think this is such a troll of a thread, but for the sake of those really debating this one, if you show Pros without helmets at any stage of a race, what do you think you are encouraging impressionable people to do?

That's right, you're encouraging them to ride without a helmet, period. There are people out there who won't differentiate between a mountain top for a pro and themselves on the way to the store, where they can accidentally come off and yes, die.

Impressionable people are stupid. The gene pool would be better off without them.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What I decide to do with my persnal safety is my choice.A helmet ai'nt gonna save we when the stats proven at 50mph that the vehicle won't save you. The easier you give into drivers the worst it gets cyclists.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

was that an attempt at sarcasm? there not effective at high speeds really look into physics tell that to the racers i have known who have crashed heavily and destroyed there helmets and lived to ride another day. yeah and roll cages safety glass and ****ing seat belts are useless as well its all a conspiracy lol.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
What I decide to do with my persnal safety is my choice.A helmet ai'nt gonna save we when the stats proven at 50mph that the vehicle won't save you. The easier you give into drivers the worst it gets cyclists.

hard to make heads or tales of what your attempting to write are you drunk or recently have a helmet free fall? sorry too easy nice grammar but seriously what are you talking about? as for your personal safety i hope you have complete health insurance to pay for your vegetative state if need be as i dont want to. negligent/stupid people are a drain on society what is the purpose of this thread literally your saying helmets are a problem get with the times old man.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I preferred it when they ditched the buckets at the start of the last climb on a mtf stage. I wonder if the rule change was due to pressures from the helmet manufacturers. It didn't say much about their products when the riders threw them in the cars as soon as they could.

TRENDING THREADS