• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Understanding my cassette options.

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi there, I am looking to upgrade my cassette for the hills but I'm not entirely sure what my options are.

On my Trek 1.7 I am running a Shimano 105 52-39 crank with a Shimano 105 CS-5700 11-28 cassette. My rear derailleur is a Shimano Ultegra 10 speed RD-6600, short cage I believe. (Not entirely sure how to tell)

Now I was wondering if I could upgrade my cassette to a 11-32 for instance. I'm trying to figure out if this will work with my rear derailleur, as it has a 29 maximal capacity. Not sure how that works entirely but it looks like it won't fit: (52-39) + (32-11) = 34.

I'd love to hear if my assumption is correct and if there are any other options out there!

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
It seems like someone (aftermarket) makes 36 and 38 tooth rings for that groupo. That might be a better option?

So you are suggesting swapping out the cranks instead of the cassette. Did not think about that yet. Seems like a good alternative. I could try my brother‘s 105 50-34 crank to see how much difference it gives.

You'll need either a medium cage rear derailleur or mid compact chainrings

A medium cage seems to be the solution. However, there might be a risk of my jockey wheels hitting the 32t on the cassette. I’m afraid the only way to tell is to try.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
So you are suggesting swapping out the cranks instead of the cassette. Did not think about that yet. Seems like a good alternative. I could try my brother‘s 105 50-34 crank to see how much difference it gives.

A medium cage seems to be the solution. However, there might be a risk of my jockey wheels hitting the 32t on the cassette. I’m afraid the only way to tell is to try.

Thanks for your replies.
I would just change the small ring not the entire crank unless you can find a good deal.

TRENDING THREADS