• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Unfair advantage?

So lets say you are on a solo break, on a very HOT day, the course is hilly or even mountainous.
You have an unobstructed team car catering to your every need. Every few minutes a mechanic reaches out the window and dumps a nice cool bottle of water all over you.
Now, on a really HOT day it seems to me this is a huge advantage over all other riders. Riders' performance really suffers in the heat. So staying "artificially" cool could be huge.
Let me venture a complete guess: 5% or 10% power advantage, which could really affect the outcome... especially in steep mountains, where a solo guy stands a chance.
What do you think?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
I realize that was exactly his situation, among "other" factors.
But I'm looking forward more than back, with this question.
(I also about to head out for a ride in 100d heat....)

Ok. Yes, they have it slightly easier in that respect, but really, if you're a protected rider you have your 'Bottle' as part of the team. So not much of a difference. Anyway, you're expending so much more energy by being in the break, that little advantage is not going to make it up.

Cobblestones said:
Ok. Yes, they have it slightly easier in that respect, but really, if you're a protected rider you have your 'Bottle' as part of the team. So not much of a difference. Anyway, you're expending so much more energy by being in the break, that little advantage is not going to make it up.
But totally doused with cool water every 5 min? Floyd (yes, again) had like 70 bottles dumped on him over his escape. You dont get that from your domestiques.
If its cooking hot, I could imagine that being perhaps a 10% advantage, which might be the difference on the steep part of a stage where a solo guy is.... less-disadvantaged anyway.
Again... total guess on the power advantage. But the heat can really suck it out of you.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Made you look like Farrar.

LOOOOOL Epic comment :D

hrotha said:
Meh, the leaders also have domestiques bringing them water. Ban bottle-carrying domestiques I say.

(Incidentally, where does "Bottle" for LL come from?)

edit: Beaten by miles

I would like to see that... that would prove who has better condition!