• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Unfortunately I never doped" : Benoît Joachim

He would have preferred to have been a star, made lots of money, and then be in the same situation as his old team mates. That's borderline offensive, and doesn't exactly send a good signal to the next generation of cyclists. Jealous of the Schlecks and their choices?

Cloxxki said:
He would have preferred to have been a star, made lots of money, and then be in the same situation as his old team mates. That's borderline offensive, and doesn't exactly send a good signal to the next generation of cyclists. Jealous of the Schlecks and their choices?

Reverse psychology?

He regrets not having worked with Ferrari. "I have had the opportunity to meet him. It could have worked with him. Unfortunately, I say unfortunately, I did not do it for several reasons. The first was economic, the second related to my health, and the third was afraid of having a positive test. "

And is justified: "Of course it is a great pity. If I look at what I could have gotten to work with Ferrari ... I could have driven my career and benefit greatly sports that would have been reflected in terms of my salary, as of notoriety. If I look at some former teammates who admitted having worked with him, and what they won ... They have a longer career than mine and remain healthy. Today at the end of his career, they admitted to doping but everyone already has been forgiven."

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Indeed, it (still) pays to dope in the peloton. There are lots of EPO and blood dopers hanging around today and they are making $$'s.

Don't think his statement is offensive at all. Close to the truth. If given a 2nd chance (going back), Mr Joachim would be first in line for the needle. Big house and boat would follow.

Agreed. He's speaking honestly* - and in doing so makes himself a unique figure in the pro peloton. Listen to the man! He's telling it like it is.

*Maybe.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ToreBear said:
8 consecutive years on USPS?!

Looking forward to the English translation of his article.

I tend to look for indications that people were clean. But with him:

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=1133
:eek:

I'm gonna need a ****load of happy pills and an overdose of devils advocate injections before I can even start to contemplate him being clean.

OMG. I should have my coffee before posting. :eek:

Never mind.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is a very odd fellow. Once he refused to ride the World Championships because they didn't pay him enough. When he switched to CC Differdange he rode one race the whole season, for the rest he was out with a broken finger. When LEOPARD TREK was founded his comment was "I've worked with Baffi, he's not that great". He also ran for elections and is most likely gay (not that that has anything to do with it).

Not really sure what to make of this. He has some points I guess but overall it's mostly bullsh... he wouldn't have been a prolific winner and made loads of cash even if he had doped ..... which he did :rolleyes:

frenchfry said:
He might have a point for Hincapie and Leipheimer. Cowards.
Instead of patting himself on the back for keeping clean (according to him), he goes on to say he should've doped. Obviously it would have been for the money. So if it was for money why he didn't do it? He claims he didn't do it for economic reasons, health, and the third was afraid of having a positive test.

I really don't get what kind of values this guy has. :confused:

Maxiton said:
Agreed. He's speaking honestly* - and in doing so makes himself a unique figure in the pro peloton. Listen to the man! He's telling it like it is.

*Maybe.

Ferrari Program > Local Trash Doctor leftovers > No Doping

It was impossible to take part in the big races and perform at the time without some level of doping. Sounds to me Joachim would have liked to be on the executive level doping program with hindsight.

In any case my view "doping still pays" is perhaps still valid?

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Never doped?

Guys, guys, in the original Quotidien article, he never says he didn't dope. He says he was offered and even met with Ferrari. But ultimately he didn't use him for financial reasons, for health reasons, because he was afraid of getting caught.

Maxiton said:
OMG. I should have my coffee before posting. :eek:

Never mind.

Ops. Sorry.:eek:

Anyway I ran the original article through a special translator. With the use of the right code, the article becomes:

Dear teammates and creditors:

In the wake of recent events in the world of cycling, I can no longer hide my past. I admit to doping with EPO, blood transfusions, cortisone, testosterone, Clenbuterol, Actovegin, rhinoceros horn, and PCP. I wanted to use these products because I felt I had to in order to keep up. I took these products between February 1996 and December 2007.

I don't care what anyone thinks about my actions and I hope that my confession can help bring positive change to the sport that we all love so much.

I regret the introduction of the blood passport. My Palmares shows just how much I and my creditors have suffered as a result of this.

Sincerely,
Benny J

You just have to have the right translator to understand some of these guys. This makes it easy:
http://sorryidoped.com/

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
the interview reminds me of wall street. the unprosecuted criminals on wall street and their political sympathizers really do not feel as if they did anything wrong in spite of the law saying otherwise.

joachim's doping, a little bit of steroids and uppers, wasn't really doping because it wasn't on the scale of others.

hrotha said:
I don't believe for a second he never doped, but at least regarding Ferrari he's more honest than most USADA witnesses.

+1. He's smart enough to understand the implications of the system. The objective to elite bike racing is to win and not test positive. He sounds as if he is speaking from that perspective and regretting his choices when he was in the peloton. Only later did he realize that no one was going positive under Ferrari's care. Hence, the regret.

This is the UCI's problem. The UCI has no problem violating the principals of the game by promoting doping and all the actors in the system know this. On top of that, oxygen vector doping supercharges the whole problem.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
1ew8t2.jpg

http://www.2cycle.be/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6956&perpage=20&pagenumber=113

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Whatever else Benoit might be....

He ain't very "BRYTE". He knew all about Dr. OJ, he knew what the others were doing, he knew what he was being offered, doping wise. His real concerns were. 1) Its really really expensive, and no amount of dope $$ can turn a nag like me into a thoroughbred. 2) I'm scared my blood will turn to Jello and I'll die, 3) A looser like me will get caught for sure.. I'll stick to cheap products that only get you a slap on the wrist if caught. What kind of idiot do you think I am?

But those other guys! The ones who spent the money, took the BIG SHYTe, made the moolaa.... THEY should have come forward long ago... not ME! Even though I knew everything, and did enough dope to still be called a "pro", I had no obligation to speak out. What kind of idiot do you think I am?

....Years later, ( "Hello Lance? Its Me, Bennie. Yeah, Betsy gave me your number... Say, think you could send a few samolians my way if I go on record saying I never say organized doping in the Bus? No? What about Johan? Think he's got the Do Re Mi?"..... "click" of receiver. "Boy, do I feel like an idiot!

TRENDING THREADS