• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Universal Giro Commentator

Who knows something about this guy? Every other sentence is about Lance. He's worse than Phil/Paul as far as that goes. He keeps going on about how Lance might be in yellow after today's stage...what? He even said Lance might be favored for the win in the 1st TT. Didn't he just give up over a minute in a TT to his own teammate? And this guy isn't even American, he's British.

Universal definitely needs to have someone in the studio with him.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Who knows something about this guy? Every other sentence is about Lance. He's worse than Phil/Paul as far as that goes. He keeps going on about how Lance might be in yellow after today's stage...what? He even said Lance might be favored for the win in the 1st TT. Didn't he just give up over a minute in a TT to his own teammate? And this guy isn't even American, he's British.

erm, he does not need anyone in the studio with him. He needs to be outside the studio/cabin, and be replaced by someone else. AT most, he needs someone outside the studio with him, like a shrink who will tell him it's not healthy to talk so much about LA!

jaylew said:

I volunteer--if the forum will chip in for some brass knuckles.

He does not have the greatest voice either. It just sort of drones on and on. Couldn't they have got Patrick Stewart? He's British.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday he didn't seem to have any clue who was who (except LA, of course). Then he initially called DiLuca the winner of the sprint. Also he didn't know the difference between attacking the peloton and dodging traffic furniture.

Today I watched with the sound off.

I don't know his name - but he is British - assuming I am listening in Canada to the same audio stream. I recognise his voice from the UK - he is a generalist commentator/broadcaster more familiar with soccer and rugby... As you can hear he has no knowledge of cycling. It seems a shame that Universal have invested in the rights to cover but not made any effort/investment in someone that can expalin what is on the screen - this guy is basically reading the graphics and cheering for the winner! Maybe if we all write and complain they will get someone else in the box with him?

My solution has been to listen to the Eurosport feed (with Sean Kelly) with a mix of video from Universal and some of the low def options available on the web. THe problem with this is they feeds all have different delay and it can get a bit confusing but it's worth putting up with this to not have to listen to the drivel from this guy. :mad:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I don't know his name - but he is British - assuming I am listening in Canada to the same audio stream. I recognise his voice from the UK - he is a generalist commentator/broadcaster more familiar with soccer and rugby... As you can hear he has no knowledge of cycling. It seems a shame that Universal have invested in the rights to cover but not made any effort/investment in someone that can expalin what is on the screen - this guy is basically reading the graphics and cheering for the winner! Maybe if we all write and complain they will get someone else in the box with him?

My solution has been to listen to the Eurosport feed (with Sean Kelly) with a mix of video from Universal and some of the low def options available on the web. THe problem with this is they feeds all have different delay and it can get a bit confusing but it's worth putting up with this to not have to listen to the drivel from this guy. :mad:

I am going back to these guys, at least they know what they are talking about! Unfortunately my french isn't that great... ut hey, it will be doubly educative...

http://commentateursvelo.blogs.eurosport.fr/

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
For the Aussies - Is Matt Keenan coming back for 2009 Le Tour? It was a nice change listening to him – although I don’t recall him actually taking a breath when he spoke – a wealth of information and enjoyable – if you could keep up.

I suppose Laurel and Hardy (Phil and Paul) will be back as per usual, disagreeing with each other, being 5 seconds or so behind the TV telecast and generally coming out with some recurring and at times amusing lines….. "And the heads of state have come to the fore..." , "And so, the first pedal has been turned in ANGER!" , "Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men..", "He's stamping on those pedals!", "The pirate is about to board the ship." ".....and Lance is hanging the pirate on his own ship" ,“Tap tap tapping out a rhythm”, "He’s pumping those two pistons he calls legs." “that rider is going through all kinds of purgatory”, “this climb is interminable”, "LOOK, LOOK at that infernal cadence", “These boys are descending like stones”. "Complete and utter…”, "Unbelievable, Phil.... this man is all over his machine...", “Big Jens Voigt”, “Big George Hincapie”, “an absolute beast of a man”.....

Seth Bullock said:
"And the heads of state have come to the fore..." , "And so, the first pedal has been turned in ANGER!" , "Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men..", "He's stamping on those pedals!", "The pirate is about to board the ship." ".....and Lance is hanging the pirate on his own ship" ,“Tap tap tapping out a rhythm”, "He’s pumping those two pistons he calls legs." “that rider is going through all kinds of purgatory”, “this climb is interminable”, "LOOK, LOOK at that infernal cadence", “These boys are descending like stones”. "Complete and utter…”, "Unbelievable, Phil.... this man is all over his machine...", “Big Jens Voigt”, “Big George Hincapie”, “an absolute beast of a man”.....

You've perfectly captured why I love listening to their coverage - it's awesome! But maybe I'm a bit strange that way ;)

I like listing to them for their phil and paul isms and how paul makes two riders have an imaginary conversation.

ie. On the alp last year.
'And Carlos Sastre has said to Cadel Evans, if you want to win this bicycle race your going to have to keep up with me'

Sort of made it up but you get what i mean:D

But for tactics and know-how it is Harmon and Kelly, every day of the week for me. Where as the extent of Sherwen know-how is

'Well phil, see that newspaper he just grabbed from a spectator. That is not for a bit of light reading on the decent but to put under his jersey to block out the cold and to stop him getting bronchitis'.

I swear he says something along those lines everytime the go over a mountain.

After you get used to sean kelly and his accent he is so much better.
Well thats my 0.02 cents

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:

Picky, picky. Just a week ago there was NO coverage, TV-wise, in the US at all. Yep the coverage is spotty, the commentary is a little weird but it IS the Giro for 2 hours per day everyday. Remember they are at the whim of the Italiano TV people, their feed and they just watch and comment. They aren't actually on the race course or anything, they are at the finish in a room.

Pietro said:
Picky, picky. Just a week ago there was NO coverage, TV-wise, in the US at all. Yep the coverage is spotty, the commentary is a little weird but it IS the Giro for 2 hours per day everyday. Remember they are at the whim of the Italiano TV people, their feed and they just watch and comment. They aren't actually on the race course or anything, they are at the finish in a room.

It's still not on TV in most areas, so nothing has changed for me. And I'm used to getting the Giro for at least 2 hours a day, but with better commentating -been watching it for years. Everyone worldwide gets the same feed, so that's no excuse. I'll be muting the audio and listening to the Eurosport audio from now on.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:

I do agree, having a good feed is already so much more then we were getting before (nuthin' that is).

All commentators are in a booth at the finish line, they are being kept informed by the official race-radio and see the live images. The only thing is, some commentators are better than others at 'reading' the race. It's a real job to do stage after stage, day in day out and have something interesting to say. That's why you shouldn't put a guy out there who isn't a cycling commentator, they know too little to fill the time and/or don't know how to analyse the race/strategies/tactics...

but hey, still loving the coverage (muted)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I do agree, having a good feed is already so much more then we were getting before (nuthin' that is).

All commentators are in a booth at the finish line, they are being kept informed by the official race-radio and see the live images. The only thing is, some commentators are better than others at 'reading' the race. It's a real job to do stage after stage, day in day out and have something interesting to say. That's why you shouldn't put a guy out there who isn't a cycling commentator, they know too little to fill the time and/or don't know how to analyse the race/strategies/tactics...

but hey, still loving the coverage (muted)

hey you can still mute it and then put on eurosport audio Sean Kelly's commentation for english version

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
hey you can still mute it and then put on eurosport audio Sean Kelly's commentation for english version

:D

Trying out Jacky Durand today... Love the french accent, almost as horny as Sean Kelly's, but not quite
:D

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Has Universal's internet coverage started? Either they are late or I am getting screwed.

Worked perfect yesterday. I can't get any image or sound via IE, but can get commentary on Safari, but no image.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

For you guys having trouble w/ the image/sound on Universal:

I had sound but a blank viewing pane. I had to click on the Stage 4 avatar thing in the menu of stages to the right of the viewing pane, and then the video popped right up. Not sure why I had to do that, but it's somehting to consider for tomorrow's stage coverage.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There is a Tim Maloney (?) from Universal in the post-race Giro program on Italian TV. He seems a nice guy. And speaks Italian. Can't say about his expertise.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The first three stages worked fine for me. Today nothing. I wonder if they changed something.

Not sure if it makes a difference for you , but I noticed the feed type changed over to Flash today.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I find with the Universal stream that I have to open the link, let it load, and then stop and start the player, otherwise I get just sound and no picture.

TRENDING THREADS