• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Up and coming riders

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Who are you looking forward to seeing make their debut in this years Pro Peleton? Who is going to have a break out year? Who are the great riders of the future?
I am really excited to see Svien Tuft (Garmin) in his first Grand Tour. I hope that Lars Boom can do well with the big Rabobank team.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
For me so far this season the best young riders seem to be Kevin Seeldrayers, Remi Pauriol, Julien El Fares, Kevyn Ista, Jonathan Hivert and, to a lesser extent because I'd seen him a bit before, Tony Martin.

I'm always partial to the French cyclists, so I'm excited about Remi Pauriol, too. It was also really cool to see Jeremy Roy get a stage win at P-N.

I was jsut browsing through all the other threads on this forum that have been hijacked by doping talk and thinking how nice it would be to start a thread like this. So thanks for doing the work!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I was jsut browsing through all the other threads on this forum that have been hijacked by doping talk and thinking how nice it would be to start a thread like this. So thanks for doing the work!

Im just trying to stay positive and there are some really exciting young riders out there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Simon Spilak is a young talent that should get some good results in the near future. Lars Boom will do a good prologue in this years Vuelta. In Holland we got besidess Boom and Geesink some talents like Mollema, Leezer and Veelers. Dennis van WInden showed some nice things in Algarve. In Belgium people are positive about De Greef, he could turn into a great climber. Other belgians who should be great in the near future are riders like Vanendert, Maes (who got some minor injuries), Bakelandts and Goddaert. In Italy Ginanni seems to be the new star. Read some good things about Mauro Finetto. Also Simone Ponzi seems to be one to watch. In France Coppel could turn into a great rider, in Portugal Rui Costa. I'm curious to see if Samoilau is gonna turn into a great rider, he seemed to be a great talent. And off course there is Boasson Hagen, but he is no surprise anymore. Same could be said about Kreuziger.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I would also like to say that Andy Schleck is really exciting to watch. I think he has a quick enough acceleration that he can respond when Contador kicks.
Christian Meier a wonderful young Canadian on Garmin will hopefully show well this year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Imo is Andy the only with the potential to keep up with Contador. But he aint really a revelation anymore, he was 2 years ago, but yeah, he's still young.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Have to go with Andy Schelck too. This should be a breakout year for him. He was the strongest in last year's Tour; he just bonked at the wrong time.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Up and coming young rider

Angel Hernandez, Contador's training partner and new addition to Astana may surprise many of us in the mountains this year. I hope he gets some high profile starts so that he can climb against the best. I think he's going to reveal some impressive climbing talent.

peoples said:
Angel Hernandez, Contador's training partner and new addition to Astana may surprise many of us in the mountains this year. I hope he gets some high profile starts so that he can climb against the best. I think he's going to reveal some impressive climbing talent.

I don't know much about him, except that he did well at the Astana training camp in December. Although, from what I had read he was in excellent form, while the others were still taking it easy? Should be interesting to keep an eye out for him though.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the British riders who ae coming through. A well as riders like Ben Swift, Jonny Bellis who have turned pro in the last couple of years, Peter Kennaugh is looking like a great talent.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bartoli...

Are you from the Netherlands? What are your opinions on Kenny van Hummel with Skil-Shimano? I am thinking he is going to have a break out year this year. I too am a big Veelers fan!!

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Are you from the Netherlands? What are your opinions on Kenny van Hummel with Skil-Shimano? I am thinking he is going to have a break out year this year. I too am a big Veelers fan!!

Thanks!

I'm from the Netherlands. It's good Skil-Shimano is gonna do the TDF this year. Really great for the team. I don't know about van Hummel, he is good sprinter but not one of the top guys. He is still 26 though, he can still improve. I expect a lot more from Veelers to be honoust, he was good in Qatar and in Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne. He was also 4th in the second stage of Paris-Nice, he is young, really strong, seems to be a good sprinter for the future.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
*G*K*S* said:
Rigoberto Uran

Would love to see what Uran can do in a grand tour. He showed some nice things allready, he can be a possible winner of a grand tour. He got a fairly good sprint so he might be able to win some stages too.

++ Rigoberto Uran. Its stated somewhere that he's made more for the Ardennes classics than grand tours but we'll see.

Another Caisse d'Epargne rider Jose Joaquin Rojas: the sprinter may follow in the footsteps of the great Oscar Freire to show that the Spaniards can do more than just climb. He's young (23?) and already showing that he can contend in the sprint, albeit occasionally, with the elite in the sport.

Juan Mauricio Soler of Barloworld who I think is one of the most exciting additions to the sport who unfortunately was scarce last year due to injury and will likely be unable to compete in this years Tour due to stupidity of Moises Duenas. He is the animator of animators in the mountains. Relentless attacker with a huge heart.

Remi Pauriol of Cofidis was looking quite strong at Tour de Med and also at P-N till he crashed out of the race. Don't know much about him other than his results this year but I'm kind of rooting for the Cofidis team and any young French rider that can finally show that the French can finally contend in the Tour.

Amael Moinard of Cofidis was getting stronger near the end of last years Tour, finished strong on Alpe d'Huez and ended up top 20 in the gc. Another French hopeful.

Damien Monier was looking strong at Tour de Med and is highly tauted. Also of Cofidis.

Igor Anton of Euskatel Euskadi was impressive at Tour de Swiss last year winning a summit finish stage and ending with a top 5 in the overall. I was hoping for big things at the 2008 Vuelta but unfortunately he crashed out early.

Others include:
Greg Van Avermaet of Silence-Lotto, a classics/sprinter,
Kevin Ista of Agritubel, tough as nails, another classics/sprinter combo

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I am interested in seeing how Lars Boom can perform this year as he appears to have super talent. As well as seeing if Gesink can continue to improve. I also will keep an eye Andy Schelck, Vincenzo Nibali and Heinrich Haussler.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Not his 1st year, but I think Heinrich Haussler could elevate his status this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he managed a 'podium' (or better!) in one of the classics this year. This guy is 'nails'

TRENDING THREADS